UPDATE: Seahawks traded for Percy Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenhell

Reaction score
vikesfan":1qom49ky said:
Hello board,
I really think this trade was a great trade for both teams.
Some points I want to point out about Percy....
1. The demise of his health is overstated. As it was pointed out he missed 3 games in 3 years. Last season he was expected to miss 1 game, had a blow up the week before and then he was placed on IR. The blow up was reportedly him telling the coach that Ponder is not good enough to be a starting QB (truth).
of 4

2. He has never had a 1000 yard season but has been in the top 3 in total yards 3 out 4 years (last year only played 8 games)
3. He has lead the league in broken tackles by a non RB every year he has been in the league. Meaning...he catches and makes the first guy miss.

4. He was an MVP candidate this season before being shut down.
5. He had Ponder throwing the ball to him. The guy had about 6 games under 100 yards passing this season and several others where he was behind and just broke the 100 yard barrier. I.E. Harvin should explode. Don't be surprise if you see everyone's stats explode due to the stress he places on defenses.

Basically... both teams won. The 7th round is throw away.

Thanks for the heads up. How are other Vike fans and the Minnesota area responding to the trade?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I was surprised to see the least pass-heavy offense in the NFL hand Megatron money to a receiver. This probably signals changes in our mentality, certainly in our cap distribution. Will be interesting to see whom Seattle is forced to let go of as a result of adding Harvin.

But it's hard to imagine Harvin NOT making Seattle one of the most, if not the most, explosive offenses in the league. That makes up for whomever else we might have to lose. Harvin is exactly what we needed to keep our novel offense ahead of the curve.

djTOY2000

Reaction score
479893_10151521877799743_2059649141_n.jpg

thehands816

Reaction score
Danny O'Neil is reporting on Twitter that next year's pick is likely to be a 3rd rounder.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
kearly":299yfcvn said:
The only bummer draft wise is that I'll probably have to say sayonara to Datone Jones and Ryan Swope as realistic options. Sylvester Williams, Kawann Short, Brandon Williams and Corey Lemonier look like the front runners at #58.

If Kawann Short drops to us at #58 I'll be doing backflips. I would have taken him at #25.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ml7k95fd said:
I was surprised to see the least pass-heavy offense in the NFL hand Megatron money to a receiver. This probably signals changes in our mentality, certainly in our cap distribution..

Excellent point, that's exciting, it's tarkentime.

OP
OP
SeahawksFanForever

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Sidney Rice: Woke up to 60 plus text and 20 missed phone calls.. Thought the world was ending or something.. Then this from the lil bro! How exciting! Bouta be a fun journey! What a great addition/playmaker to a well rounded team! @showtimetate @percy_harvin @dougbaldwinjr @chopchop_11 let's put this work it and go get what we all feel we deserve! #12thman #reunion #allin #finish

mikeak

Reaction score
If he told the coaching staff that Ponder is not good enough to be a qb and the coaching staff disagrees then all that says is that the whole coaching staff fails the eye exam portion of the physical we are going to give Percy.

It doesn't even say that Percy passes the eye exam.......

Ruminator

Reaction score
Greenhell":3o412oyh said:
vikesfan":3o412oyh said:
3. He has lead the league in broken tackles by a non RB every year he has been in the league. Meaning...he catches and makes the first guy miss.

Watching the YouTube Percy Harvin highlights, this guy slices through crowds of defenders like a hot knife through butter more than any other player I've ever seen.

vikesfan

Reaction score
ivotuk":2s7hjzr4 said:
SeaTown81":2s7hjzr4 said:
Thunderhawk":2s7hjzr4 said:
Deion Branch Trade 2.0

The similarities between the two acquisitions are eerie.

1) Production - has not produced like a true #1 WR. Look at the stats.
2) Injury Risk
3) Malcontent
4) Size - below average. Hawks needed to get bigger at WR.
5) Salary - wants #1 WR money even though he has not earned it.

Other than #3 this looks like the Branch trade all over again. We got fleeced on this deal. If Harvin is worth a first rounder plus change then Megatron is worth 5 first rounders plus 25 million a year.

Meanwhile, Reggie Bush was available for free, would cost less and is basically Harvin-lite. Utterly bizarre trade.

Deion Branch was made by NE's offense and Tom Brady. In Minnesota Harvin had Christian Ponder and Tarvaris Jackson throwing the ball to him. Bit of a difference there. Not to mention the fact that Harvin is 3 years younger than Branch was and a million times more explosive. The only similarities you got right are WR & 1st rounder pick.

Harvin had Brett Favre throwing to him. He also had the leagues best running back keeping the defensive backs honest.

When he played with Brett...he was a rookie and it was Rice that was the go to guy.
Brett's 2nd season the team fell apart and Brett got hurt.
He then played with McNabb and Ponder's rookie season and then last year Ponder's 2nd.

He has had 1 good season with a QB ( his Rookie) and in that season he has 700+ yards while sharing the ball with Rice (1300 9 tds) Peterson (1300 yards 18 tds) Shank our TE (11 tds). How do you compare that with Deion Branch and having Brady?

chris98251

Reaction score
Sounds like the WR's are looking forward to being a pain in the ass to the rest of the league, Rice has Harvins back and will help him here. We won't see the blow up that the Vikings had, in fact Rice had issues there as well and he's been pretty quiet here also.

chris98251

Reaction score
As far as Austin goes, he is the same as Tate, he would have to learn how to really play WR, Tate is just beginning to get there, the two year OTJT is over as far as WR's goes. Austin may be a talent but we have a project in the works already.

vikesfan

Reaction score
Greenhell":1efbggfw said:
vikesfan":1efbggfw said:
Hello board,
I really think this trade was a great trade for both teams.
Some points I want to point out about Percy....
1. The demise of his health is overstated. As it was pointed out he missed 3 games in 3 years. Last season he was expected to miss 1 game, had a blow up the week before and then he was placed on IR. The blow up was reportedly him telling the coach that Ponder is not good enough to be a starting QB (truth).
of 4

2. He has never had a 1000 yard season but has been in the top 3 in total yards 3 out 4 years (last year only played 8 games)

4. He was an MVP candidate this season before being shut down.
5. He had Ponder throwing the ball to him. The guy had about 6 games under 100 yards passing this season and several others where he was behind and just broke the 100 yard barrier. I.E. Harvin should explode. Don't be surprise if you see everyone's stats explode due to the stress he places on defenses.

Basically... both teams won. The 7th round is throw away.

Thanks for the heads up. How are other Vike fans and the Minnesota area responding to the trade?

Fans like getting the 1st because they felt we would get a 2nd for him. I thought it would be a 2014 1st.
Honestly, I think there was a market for his services and the price equalled what he was worth. People are going to say Boldin for a 6th was good choice but where is the future in that trade? No new contract, and a WR who will be 33 next season. You guys just signed a 24 year old superstar. Did I mention that he could set the record for kick returns. I think he has 5 to Hester's 8 KRs. He has been doing it part time for us. He averaged 32 yards a return last season( i think) I believe he is the best returner in the game but we used him sparringly in this role.

justafan

Reaction score
I love this move.It an aggressive win now type of trade.Signing a player like him will force the team to let others go in time but this is the type of player that you keep as a core member as long as you can.
The price of the trade doesnt bother me at all.You dont have a chance to get a player like this very often.Low price to pay imo.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
One other fact that I haven't seen brought up yet in this thread. Arguably Seattle's biggest offensive weakness was YAC. The Seahawks were 30th in Yards After Catch-Team last year with 1361. Percy Harvin was 3rd in YAC-Individual in the NFL last year with 531. In 9 games.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Remember several short years ago, we were rolling with:

Julius Jones, Deion Branch, Burleson, TJ Housh and Carlson? Yikes.

vikesfan

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... ard-TD-run

Which other WR in the league can do this?
That's a WR running over a LB in the redzone to score.

Harvin has elite speed but he has the fastest acceleration in the league. Hands down. Other guys maybe faster but he hits 0-60 faster than anyone else.
He also has RB strength at the WR position.

Status
Not open for further replies.