Uptempo Offense

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":wbzcs98m said:
We simply need a better defense then all of this doesn't matter.

We have winner!

If the D could get consistent pressure on opposing QBs, create more takeaway opportunities, and simply stuff the run, we'd be overjoyed with the development of the O.

John63

Reaction score
jammerhawk":n5fg8fdw said:
Largent80":n5fg8fdw said:
We simply need a better defense then all of this doesn't matter.

We have winner!

If the D could get consistent pressure on opposing QBs, create more takeaway opportunities, and simply stuff the run, we'd be overjoyed with the development of the O.

I agree we need to improve the defense, but why not also improve the offense to. Especially when it requires no extra financial cost.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
John, I'm with you until your last sentence.

The O will only get markedly better if the pass protection improves significantly, that will involve expense in either draft capital or FA acquisition costs.

edogg23

Reaction score
Pretend for a second that the seahawks had the Best edge rusher in the NFL and made him the highest paid edge rusher in the NFL. They then proceeded to tell him to not rush the passer but concentrate on stopping the run because the coach believes stopping the run is the key to winning. Does this make sense?
This is exactly what we are doing with Russell on offense.

Nunya

Reaction score
edogg23":1ovr6tsw said:
Pretend for a second that the seahawks had the Best edge rusher in the NFL and made him the highest paid edge rusher in the NFL. They then proceeded to tell him to not rush the passer but concentrate on stopping the run because the coach believes stopping the run is the key to winning. Does this make sense?

And how exactly are they doing that?

edogg23

Reaction score
Nunya":3pqc3er5 said:
edogg23":3pqc3er5 said:

Have you watched the first half of a seahawks game?

Nunya

Reaction score
edogg23":3nzmmu7q said:
Nunya":3nzmmu7q said:
edogg23":3nzmmu7q said:

Have you watched the first half of a seahawks game?

So you don't really know and are just repeating stuff you heard? Or what?

Just because they start slow in the 1st half does not mean they are holding him back or are not using him to his fullest. I keep seeing some people make the claim that Russ is being held back in the 1st half, but nobody seems be able to provide a good explanation on HOW they are holding him back. At least John63 tries.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Nunya":jzv2jz6m said:
hawksfansinceday1":jzv2jz6m said:
Nunya":jzv2jz6m said:
hawksfansinceday1":jzv2jz6m said:
It may not be fixed to top 10 level but even a middle of the road D could get us a SB win IF our RBs and o-line can stay reasonably healthy and yes, if they can score a bit more in first halves.

Totally agree. Seattle's defense was 18 on 3rd down at 39.52%/ That has to improve. They don't need to be a top 5 defense, but they do need to be fairly reliable. They can get away with a weak pass rush against average QBs, but the great QBs will tear a zone up if given time.

And I also agree that they need to start better in the 1st half. Maybe some up tempo will help, but they need an Oline with endurance to do that successfully. I don't think we have that yet. Metcalf will likely improve and I suspect he will only improve season after season. Our achilles on offense is the lack of a healthy TE. Our short passing game was fairly lackluster and I think that needs to improve.
Yeah someone posted the differences in the offense with and without Dissley and the numbers were significant. And if Will had stayed healthy, the O would've only continued to trend upward as Metcalf developed over the course of the season.
I don't know about uptempo because of what you mentioned. I mean the best way to avoid giving up points is having your D on the sidelines. But at least we could be more aggressive early on.

I really like Dissley, but I would not be surprised if he is not on the roster next season. 2 seasons with 2 fairly major injuries is not good for the personal morale. Dickson might be in the same boat. Willson was a one year contract so they will probably let he go. If this is the case, that leaves Swoopes and Hollister.

Hollister isn't bad but Swoopes is expendable.....so Hollister could be the sole TE. If so, I would expect a TE in the draft. Personally, I like Kmet from ND. He should be available in the 1st round, but might still be available in the 2nd. Picking him in the 1st might be a reach though. Pinkney from Vanderbilt is another possibility, but I think he would be a better 3-4 round pick.
Yeah I'm guessing a TE in the draft too unless they sign Hooper and that would require salary capital they know needs to be spent on the D. If Olsen is willing to go low in his salary, I can see him as a 3rd along with Dissley and Hollister but I think a draft choice is the better route for health reasons.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
It isn't exactly "up-tempo", but I like the no huddle offense. That goes far toward preventing defensive substitutions, which provides an exploitable advantage to your offense. As Wilson is obviously progressing into the realm of making his own calls, checks, etc I think that would be an interesting option to use.
But everyone saying we HAVE to fix our defense is spot on. Defense first.

John63

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1umnhnzd said:
It isn't exactly "up-tempo", but I like the no huddle offense. That goes far toward preventing defensive substitutions, which provides an exploitable advantage to your offense. As Wilson is obviously progressing into the realm of making his own calls, checks, etc I think that would be an interesting option to use.
But everyone saying we HAVE to fix our defense is spot on. Defense first.

IT snot really about uptempo so much as changing tempo. I mean in the 1st half more often than not we snap it with 3 or fewer seconds. That's great to milk the clock but it gives the defense a huge advantage. IN the 2nd half we snap it at all different intervals, right away, 10 seconds, left 3, 8. That keeps the defense off balance.

John63

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1z13owtg said:
"That keeps the defense off balance."

Not as much as Ifedi. :)

That is true he is a liability, however not waiting till 3 seconds also means he does not have to stay in his stance as long. According to NFL penalties we are 3rd in pre snap penalties and 8th in FS, 6th in OH. Now looking at like 10 different sites and piecing git all together we do get more FS and OH in the first half, however That does not mean Infedi Specifically, most of his could be 2nd for all I know I can seem to find it by player, by team, by qtr by type of penalty. Just by team as a whole.

Latest posts