UW Quarterbacks

chris98251

Reaction score
Well UW was a QB factory for a long long time, most were back ups and or Starters, Washington State also has a History of QB's going to the NFL and making an impact. That all stopped about the 1990s or so. Locker and Tui were the last two that really made a dent in recent years.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2rqc8aq3 said:
fenderbender123":2rqc8aq3 said:
Seahawks1983":2rqc8aq3 said:
hawkfan68":2rqc8aq3 said:
Ya...but how many of Chip Kelly's (while he was coaching college) or Oregon's QBs are succeeding in the NFL? I can't think of one. He ran a gimmick offense at Oregon and that program still continues that tradition. None of them ever pan out to make an impact in the NFL.

Gimmick wins > whatever the hell UW has been doing for the past 13 years.

Florida won 2 national championships using a "gimmick" system. Their starting QBs were Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. Neither did squat in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers never won a conference title at Cal.

Drew Brees' career highlight was a blowout loss in the Rose Bowl to a gimmick UW QB.

I agree and would like to see UW do whatever it takes to win, even if it means running a gimmick offense. However, Hawkfan's point still stands, in that it does not prepare QBs well for the NFL.

There are around 115 FBS starting QBs, and in any given year, maybe 3 or 4 of them go on to be highly regarded NFL prospects. They are incredibly rare, and would be a very difficult thing to build a program around on a consistant basis, especially given the types of offenses that dominate in high school these days.

The idea that "gimmick" offenses don't prepare them for the NFL is not without merit, but the idea that a "gimmick" offense can't win championships at the collegiate level is.

I agree 100%. I was just pointing out that the only point anyone made about that type of offense is that it doesn't prepare QBs well for the NFL. Nobody was saying anything about winning national championships.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kearly":3gy9huvr said:
How amazing would UW be if Vernon Adams had ended up a Husky?

Vernon Adams is the real deal.

Yep. I keep thinking how awesome it would be to have him as RW's backup in the future. Not only has he got the whole sub-6ft dual threat thing going on but he even wears his numbers (was 16, now 3).

Of course, it's completely conceivable he could be drafted as a starter if he continues to play lights out.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2rs6qklb said:
I agree 100%. I was just pointing out that the only point anyone made about that type of offense is that it doesn't prepare QBs well for the NFL. Nobody was saying anything about winning national championships.

Well, the conversation started going this way with Kearly's post that he would rather UW build a complete team in the same vein as Pete Carroll, as opposed to what Oregon has been doing. I was taking issue with that stance, as it is flawed, imo.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Imagine how much better the Huskies would be if they had a decent QB, let's say a Conor Halliday (who has less weapons but puts up better numbers than current Husky QBs). Same team just a different QB. Probably would have the same record but the games would be a lot different and so would national perspective of the team. They would most definitely be in top 20 probably in the top 15.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2nw0a0dl said:
fenderbender123":2nw0a0dl said:

Well, the conversation started going this way with Kearly's post that he would rather UW build a complete team in the same vein as Pete Carroll, as opposed to what Oregon has been doing. I was taking issue with that stance, as it is flawed, imo.

Ah. I would more or less agree with you that the teams we saw at Oregon that were built by Chip Kelly were also very complete teams from top to bottom. The 'gimmick' offense is run by a LOT of schools, but Oregon's success was separated due to the development of their players and their hard work and preparation in practice, which IMO is similar to Pete's philosophy. They were good on both sides of the ball, and had elite special teams play.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So based off of today's train wreck of a performance by Cyler Miles, what do you want to see in two weeks?

1: Stick with Miles and the current offensive gameplan of swing passes behind the line of scrimmage, 20 yard rainbows that have a 20% chance of being completed, and panicked scrambling.

2: Start Lindquist and run the triple option.

3: Start Williams on the chance he can actually play the position.

drrew

Reaction score
SeatownJay":9rocnp4p said:
3: Start Williams on the chance he can actually play the position.

I'd actually let Williams and Carta-Samuels (current RS) battle it out this week and go with whomever has a better week.