VMAC Player Visits

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":24mkwsy0 said:
I think drafting Juszczyk would spell the end of MRob. He is essentially a more versatile/athletic version of him.

We'd keep M-Rob around this season and could let him go next year. This would free up some cap space, give Juz some time to pick it up but also be used as another weapon out of the backfield a little more the M-Rob.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Catapano could be the best pass rusher on that list.

[youtube]2GcdKCG5F8Q[/youtube]

olyfan63

Reaction score
SDHawk":3b2djq5q said:
Catapano could be the best pass rusher on that list.

Catapano looks intriguing on video. Seems to use leverage very intelligently (Princeton effect?). Hard to tell from the video how his skill set will match up to bigger, stronger, faster NFL players. Looks to have a motor that just won't quit. He looks really good on inside rush and seems to have a repertoire of moves and ways of beating blockers. He doesn't look that fast, maybe 4.9-5+ 40 time (Actually it was 4.75 to 4.84, slightly faster than I thought) so mobile QBs like Kaepernick will get away from him if he's chasing them.

What say you about how his physical abilities and skill set will translate to the NFL? Obviously the Seahawks are interested enough in him, to bring him in, so they see something they like. Where does he fit best in the Seahawks scheme and how do you think they would use him? He doesn't seem fast enough for the edge rusher Seattle wants, but then neither is Red Bryant, but wow, Catapano's inside moves look great. He doesn't seem big enough at 270 to be a run-stuffing, pass-rushing DT. But he sure seems like the type of player Carroll and Schneider would love, from a football smarts and motivation standpoint, and could find a productive way to put to use, maybe in an unorthodox-by-conventional-wisdom way.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback olyfan63.

I think its best to analyze pass rushers with a view that the homerun choices will be gone by the time the Hawks start picking. We should also keep in mind that we have very good depth at the position. As a potential mid to late round pick, I really like Catapano. I think he has very good instincts... Many aggressive rushers make the mistake of over pursuing which can take them out of the play... I think Catapano has a knack for adjusting and you can see this on the very first play. He has an array of moves. He gets off his blocks. I can see him playing DE or 3-tech on nickel packages (Bennett replacement?). All that said, I think he could work on his tackling technique.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SDHawk":qmu1av6e said:

I think its best to analyze pass rushers with a view that the homerun choices will be gone by the time the Hawks start picking. We should also keep in mind that we have very good depth at the position. As a potential mid to late round pick, I really like Catapano. I think he has very good instincts... Many aggressive rushers make the mistake of over pursuing which can take them out of the play... I think Catapano has a knack for adjusting and you can see this on the very first play. He has an array of moves. He gets off his blocks. I can see him playing DE or 3-tech on nickel packages (Bennett replacement?). All that said, I think he could work on his tackling technique.

Watched video again... Catapano is faster than I was giving him credit for. Yeah, he does seem like a player that PC & JS would want... he would compete at several spots. When I really look at him, he makes me think of a slightly smaller, ever so slightly slower J.J. Watt. Watt has about 20 lbs on him. Catapano's best 40 time is slightly faster, but basically equal. Watt has a slightly better 3-cone time. I could also really see Catapano being used as a DT in passing situations. The Seahawks rotate DT's a bunch anyway, right?

How would Catapano fit into the inside linebacker role(s) the Seahawks have? I don't claim to understand the Mike, Will, and Sam thing. Is "Sam" the classic middle linebacker? Catapano sheds blockers nicely, so he might be an asset at linebacker against the run. Plus he's smart enough in football sense, and flexible in his skills that he could be moved around to create mismatches.

sutz

Reaction score
olyfan63":nrthvq5t said:
SDHawk":nrthvq5t said:

Watched video again... Catapano is faster than I was giving him credit for. Yeah, he does seem like a player that PC & JS would want... he would compete at several spots. When I really look at him, he makes me think of a slightly smaller, ever so slightly slower J.J. Watt. Watt has about 20 lbs on him. Catapano's best 40 time is slightly faster, but basically equal. Watt has a slightly better 3-cone time. I could also really see Catapano being used as a DT in passing situations. The Seahawks rotate DT's a bunch anyway, right?

How would Catapano fit into the inside linebacker role(s) the Seahawks have? I don't claim to understand the Mike, Will, and Sam thing. Is "Sam" the classic middle linebacker? Catapano sheds blockers nicely, so he might be an asset at linebacker against the run. Plus he's smart enough in football sense, and flexible in his skills that he could be moved around to create mismatches.
Will=Weakside LB
Mike=Middle LB
Sam=Strongside LB

We use a hybrid that has some of the strengths of both the 4-3 and the 3-4. Having said that, we generally line up in a 4-3 with 4 guys with their hand on the ground and 3 LBs. The hybrid really comes out in our LEO position, playing a 9-tech, sort of a wide DE that can actually play standing up in some situations, especially if he is uncovered by an OL and won't need leverage. We don't use a lot of 4 LB sets, though the LEO could be compared somewhat to a 3-4 OLB.

At LB we are pretty well set at Mike and Sam, will need a new Will as a replacement for Hill apparently. Can't really say if we will draft one or promote one of our backups just yet. Probably, we'll draft a candidate and let him duke it out in camp with our current depth guys.