Walter Thurmond learning more in NY than he did in Seattle

hawk45

Reaction score
No issue with Thurmond saying things to pump up his new team, but Pete is a defensive savant. If his scheme is simple Simon, it...er...led to a historically great defense with a historically great performance in the biggest game of their careers.

Defense rests.

A

Anonymous

A more intricate defense in NYG? Must be something new.

Russ didn't seem to have a problem figuring it out last year. According to the stat sheets, neither did most of the other teams the Giants played.

Did they change/add coordinators/coaches over there?

sutz

Reaction score
Perhaps if he had 'learned more' in Seattle, he'd still be on a SuperB owl winning team.

;)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Leading up to the Super Bowl, we heard a lot about how the Seahawks D was incredibly simple.

They did not have any exotic blitzes or complicated schemes. They just lined guys up and beat you.

It's why Manning would not have any success doing audibles against the Seattle D, because there were no gimmicks or tricks they were presenting.

I'm not surprised that Thurmond finds the Giants D more complex. Because the Seattle D is pretty much as simple as it gets.

Subzero717

Reaction score
HawkFan72":l4hlux8z said:
Leading up to the Super Bowl, we heard a lot about how the Seahawks D was incredibly simple.

They did not have any exotic blitzes or complicated schemes. They just lined guys up and beat you.

It's why Manning would not have any success doing audibles against the Seattle D, because there were no gimmicks or tricks they were presenting.

I'm not surprised that Thurmond finds the Giants D more complex. Because the Seattle D is pretty much as simple as it gets.

I also found it funny listening to Denver media and others that obviously hadnt paid much attention to the Hawks all year that were saying that out complex defense wasnt going to fool Peyton.

sutz

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1g0m7otb said:
HawkFan72":1g0m7otb said:

I also found it funny listening to Denver media and others that obviously hadnt paid much attention to the Hawks all year that were saying that out complex defense wasnt going to fool Peyton.
Wait wut? I thought Manning was going to shred our simple defensive schemes. :229031_confused2:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
That simple defense is born of the same philosophy as Holmgren's WC offense. It doesn't matter how you defend it if it is executed properly you can't stop it.

The brilliance of our defense is the coaches getting them to execute at a level that simply beyond what other teams can. The way other teams mask it is by trying to trick the opponent. We don't have to.

chris98251

Reaction score
We execute assignments, we coach the hell out of our guys in technique. Kris Richard isn't recognised probably by most of the league but he has been the key to our secondarys excellent play ability and depth. Petes scheme is here we are, we will stop you, try to beat us.

Giants using a lot of disquise and looks to try and confuse, blitz and coverage swaps to hope and create a inbalance and turnovers. That can break down if they don't make correct reads and then you have wide open guys catching Touchdown passes.

Why simple works so well with the right athletes, stay in your gap and cover your area and play against the player and not so much a system once you know how you want to approach a team. Have enough twists to keep an offense honest and then just pin their ears back and let them go. Oh and Have Fun!

NINEster

Reaction score
Giants employed a bend but don't break defense that was top 5 in turnovers in 2012.

If their offense wasn't so bad, the defensive unit would have done more than they did which was decent. They've done a good job against a decent amount of teams against the run as well.

Vernon Davis said the Seahawks were disguising coverages in the NFCC. I think divisional games would be an exception to the way teams normally play against the rest of the league.

It could also be that trying to disguise coverages against young QBs is a better strategy than going up against a vet. Chicago went straight up against Kaepernick in his first start and got destroyed.

Really curious to see how this Super Bowl rematch plays out....to see what Denver attempts to do differently this time.

seahawks08

Reaction score
NINEster":1ml0ma04 said:
Giants employed a bend but don't break defense that was top 5 in turnovers in 2012.

If their offense wasn't so bad, the defensive unit would have done more than they did which was decent. They've done a good job against a decent amount of teams against the run as well.

Vernon Davis said the Seahawks were disguising coverages in the NFCC. I think divisional games would be an exception to the way teams normally play against the rest of the league.

It could also be that trying to disguise coverages against young QBs is a better strategy than going up against a vet. Chicago went straight up against Kaepernick in his first start and got destroyed.

Really curious to see how this Super Bowl rematch plays out....to see what Denver attempts to do differently this time.
Denver won't make it to Superbowl this year. I think Chargers or Patriots will. Going back to Thurmond, I think he has been given more money and responsibilities. He will be used more with less rotation. All players feel important when that is the case, but if you are not conditioned enough, its hard to last for the whole season.

Meeker

Reaction score
seahawks08":1vbm3w5d said:
NINEster":1vbm3w5d said:

Denver won't make it to Superbowl this year. I think Chargers or Patriots will. Going back to Thurmond, I think he has been given more money and responsibilities. He will be used more with less rotation. All players feel important when that is the case, but if you are not conditioned enough, its hard to last for the whole season.

Denver comes to Seattle during the regular season.

Once again people trying to discount a player once they leave...like him no longer being with the Hawks is indicative of his skill. As others have said, he is probably learning a lot scheme wise, Seattle isn't complex and focuses much more on the fundamentals of the game.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
HawkFan72":zq1xn6ak said:

Yep Mannings whole shtick is to get the defense to tip its hat and show him what's coming. In the superowl he could yell Omaha until the cows came home but he couldn't avoid what was coming.

Subzero717

Reaction score
brimsalabim":iim4ivkq said:
HawkFan72":iim4ivkq said:

Yep Mannings whole shtick is to get the defense to tip its hat and show him what's coming. In the superowl he could yell Omaha until the cows came home but he couldn't avoid what was coming.

During the game he wants the defense to tip their hand. After the game it typically leads to them tipping their hat.

Meeker

Reaction score
Frankly, I hope Thurmond and Browner, and Maxwell next season, do very well in their new homes (except when they play Seattle, of course)...people will have less of an argument with the whole scheme thing when it comes to Seattle CBs and will start to recognize the coaching staffs ability more.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Meeker":32gzyzhc said:
Frankly, I hope Thurmond and Browner, and Maxwell next season, do very well in their new homes (except when they play Seattle, of course)...people will have less of an argument with the whole scheme thing when it comes to Seattle CBs and will start to recognize the coaching staffs ability more.
I only hope Maxwell does well. Not Thurmond or browner. They are not seahawks anymore. I hope they fail and their team does as well.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2mf20jw5 said:
Meeker":2mf20jw5 said:
I only hope Maxwell does well. Not Thurmond or browner. They are not seahawks anymore. I hope they fail and their team does as well.

They arent on different teams because that is what they wanted. Browner in particular I really like. I hope he has a awesome season and makes Revis look over rated as all get out. I also hope the Pats miss the playoffs.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete is certainly capable of using more complex schemes but he doesn't have to do so. And if you don't need to, why would you, especially with a young team?

All the scheming and line shifting in the world won't matter if your players don't execute the plays well.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2itt6gjb said:
Tech Worlds":2itt6gjb said:
Meeker":2itt6gjb said:

They arent on different teams because that is what they wanted. Browner in particular I really like. I hope he has a awesome season and makes Revis look over rated as all get out. I also hope the Pats miss the playoffs.
It doesn't matter why they left. They are on another team. Them playing well helps the enemy. Thus I won't root for them.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2eyd3vh2 said:
CALIHAWK1":2eyd3vh2 said:
Tech Worlds":2eyd3vh2 said:
Meeker":2eyd3vh2 said:

It doesn't matter why they left. They are on another team. Them playing well helps the enemy. Thus I won't root for them.

Well I appreciate their contributions and wish them the best. When we play them, screw em.