Washington Post Article on Seahawk's O-Line

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
ESPN did a breakdown of the upcoming game with the rams . There focus was the O-line where they showed Mario run right past Sowell twice, on his way to Wilson. The first wiff resulted in a Wilson INT . Clearly the Seahawks have some issues right now but Sowell can't let the DE run right by him like that it's his job to Block the DE first and foremost hopefully they get that sorted before Wilson gets layed out. Sowell has been horrible in preseason and now in the regular season. He has to get better real quick or a move will have to be made.

Vetamur

Reaction score
NINEster":16r7gk5v said:
Erebus":16r7gk5v said:
ivotuk":16r7gk5v said:
They leave out the 2 1st round picks who were on the roster along with the 2nd round Center. If Okung, Carpenter and Unger could have stayed healthy, we wouldn't be reading about this.

Yep. Mentioning those two first round picks doesn't fit in the narrative of the story. From 2012-2014, which is a majority of the years the author says Schneider neglected the o-line, we actually had a top-10 pick at LT, a first round pick at guard, and a Pro Bowl center. At that point it didn't seem necessary to invest more high draft picks into the o-line.

Gotta be able to foresee these problems.

Unger was traded because of health? Really?

Saints would give up a top 3 TE for a Center with questionable *anything*?

Unger was not going to be on the team because more than most teams the Seahawks emphasize availability. If youre great but youre only available 10 games out of the year, they will keep a lesser talent thats always out there.

The Saints traded a top 3 TE for that because of a combination of things probably: 1) they didnt see Ungers health as a factor/ thought his health problems were behind him 2) they were denying it, but were rebuilding and 3) they had to dump salary in the worst way. That was the year there was talk they might have to get rid of Brees if you recall.

ivotuk

Reaction score
dogorama":23x637p2 said:
DavidSeven":23x637p2 said:
Carpenter and Unger have both stayed healthy and played above their contracts. Both have helped reshape the running offenses for their new teams. Unger even got a new deal.

Okung is in shape and helped CJ Anderson look like the best running back in the NFL last week

I have argued this before, but maybe it's not the players, but actually the system, that gets our guys hurt. Note that JR Sweezy also hid a severe back issue when he signed with TB.

This current OL still has a lot to prove. I know people are talking up the Miami DL because of the individual talent, but as a unit, they were arguably the worst run defense last year and created no pressure on QBs either. The OL will be tested again by much better defensive units.

Can't disagree w/anything you say and I don't have any problem w/the article either, in fact, they are basically stating the obvious. Schneider stated publically that the O-Line didn't get this way "intentionally" and I believe the consensus of opinion around the league is that they let it get away from them.

It's clear that in the years 2012-2015 there should have been draft picks higher than round 4. They had made a decision that they were going to spend their money on core players and no players on the O-Line were identified as such. Last year we paid a price for that, I don't think anybody in their right mind would not admit that the reason we fell back was squarely on the O-line.

Going into 2012 it was clear that we had finally built a playoff team that could compete for the Super Bowl, the very next year we won it in dominating fashion. In 2014 we went back and nearly established a claim to at least a preliminary claim to dynasty status. Of course, we all know what happened there and in '15. Now this year we still find ourselves w/the nucleus of a SB team again and still a chance for a potential dynasty. There is only one thing that can stop this team and if that happens it will be one of the biggest wastes of talent ever. In spite of all the great moves that PCJS have made, if it all comes down to the failure to put together even a mediocre line, it will be considered one of the biggest blunders in modern NFL history.

Who do you suggest they cut in order to pay offensive linemen? It's not like we have cap space. And where do we get the picks to choose these Oline players?

In order for it to be a waste, would mean that there was neglect, which is not true. They have spent high draft picks on players and they haven't panned out.

So who do they sacrifice to keep Okung and/or Under? Bennett? Kam? KJ?

John and Pete have been the best FO the past five or six years, spending right up to the edge of the cap, getting elite players at bargain prices, but people will still fault their methods. I just don't see it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1l4yq880 said:
dogorama":1l4yq880 said:
"Seahawks, and Russell Wilson, may finally pay the price for ignoring offensive line"

"So is this the year Schneider’s gamble finally goes sour? We can’t know that answer right now. It’s a question though that should worry Seahawks fans as the stakes at the moment could not be higher. With Wilson battling a bad ankle that could limit his mobility, he may be more susceptible to punishment than ever before. And given the shaky history of the Seattle line, that’s saying something."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... sive-line/

This line has never played together before this season in their current roles. I'm not sure if shaky history has any real role in evaluating the current line beyond saying they're not seasoned. Better to say they are a lot of question marks still. I didn't think they played horribly against a good Dolphin's line; certainly not as bad as numerous games early last year where Russ was brought down at least once each possession or more, it seemed.

What ever dude. You can phrase it however you like but the results and the conclusion are the same. You roll the dice enough times sooner or later you get craps.

It's not up to one of us to suggest who to cut either. It's not a fans job to protect the QB investment. I think a lot of GM's would probably roll with less defensive back ups. Certainly we carry more safety's than other teams.

Largent80

Reaction score
If we win today it will be the defense that makes it happen. Yeah we have to try and keep them off of Russ and we need to try and run the ball, but if we limit Gurley this is a win. Last week 3 plays accounted for almost half of the Dolphins offense, if we do that today we are 2-0.

What concerns me is Webb has a tweaked ankle and maybe that's why he struggled a little, the other reason is Suh is no joke, so to me he is the key on the O-line today.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
One of several tweets with the rumor:
--

Field Gulls (@FieldGulls)
9/18/16, 7:54 AM
Hearing that Rees Odhiambo may make his NFL debut and start at RG over J'Marcus Webb today.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1ng8hirc said:
--

Hearing that Rees Odhiambo may make his NFL debut and start at RG over J'Marcus Webb today.
:pukeface:

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2c8werc1 said:
LeftHandSmoke":2c8werc1 said:
--

:pukeface:
Sounds now like Webb is good to go, is in with the starters during pregame warm ups.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawks O-Line is pure dog crap. It's that simple. Sowell might just get Wilson into a body cast before the year is over. Hell, before this game is over.

AusSeahawk

Reaction score
Until this team invests in the O-Line we will continue to come up short.

Calls have to be made, id make space by getting rid of Kam and Mike Bennett. Play McCray at SS.

Invest for next season!!!!

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
ivotuk":qkxdcyif said:
dogorama":qkxdcyif said:
DavidSeven":qkxdcyif said:
Carpenter and Unger have both stayed healthy and played above their contracts. Both have helped reshape the running offenses for their new teams. Unger even got a new deal.

Okung is in shape and helped CJ Anderson look like the best running back in the NFL last week

I have argued this before, but maybe it's not the players, but actually the system, that gets our guys hurt. Note that JR Sweezy also hid a severe back issue when he signed with TB.

This current OL still has a lot to prove. I know people are talking up the Miami DL because of the individual talent, but as a unit, they were arguably the worst run defense last year and created no pressure on QBs either. The OL will be tested again by much better defensive units.

Can't disagree w/anything you say and I don't have any problem w/the article either, in fact, they are basically stating the obvious. Schneider stated publically that the O-Line didn't get this way "intentionally" and I believe the consensus of opinion around the league is that they let it get away from them.

It's clear that in the years 2012-2015 there should have been draft picks higher than round 4. They had made a decision that they were going to spend their money on core players and no players on the O-Line were identified as such. Last year we paid a price for that, I don't think anybody in their right mind would not admit that the reason we fell back was squarely on the O-line.

Going into 2012 it was clear that we had finally built a playoff team that could compete for the Super Bowl, the very next year we won it in dominating fashion. In 2014 we went back and nearly established a claim to at least a preliminary claim to dynasty status. Of course, we all know what happened there and in '15. Now this year we still find ourselves w/the nucleus of a SB team again and still a chance for a potential dynasty. There is only one thing that can stop this team and if that happens it will be one of the biggest wastes of talent ever. In spite of all the great moves that PCJS have made, if it all comes down to the failure to put together even a mediocre line, it will be considered one of the biggest blunders in modern NFL history.

Who do you suggest they cut in order to pay offensive linemen? It's not like we have cap space. And where do we get the picks to choose these Oline players?

In order for it to be a waste, would mean that there was neglect, which is not true. They have spent high draft picks on players and they haven't panned out.

John and Pete have been the best FO the past five or six years, spending right up to the edge of the cap, getting elite players at bargain prices, but people will still fault their methods. I just don't see it.

No offensive linemen picked before the 4th round, four years in a row. They had opportunities.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
ivotuk":2opjc1g6 said:
dogorama":2opjc1g6 said:
DavidSeven":2opjc1g6 said:

Don't pay turds like Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham, so you have some money to spend on FA. I would trade Kam and Avril for an above average tackle in a heart beat. Drafted 3 RBs and then cut the UDFA that outplayed them all. There have been opportunities to upgrade the line but we look to get flashy, forgetting we have Darrell Bevell who has the in game situational awareness of the mom who's kid fell in Harambe's cage

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Paul Allen should make Pete & John suit up and take some snaps behind one of their Franken lines.