We "finally" won our first Super Bowl

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
themunn":18gy6gqf said:
Smelly McUgly":18gy6gqf said:
Are the Eagles, Lions, and Browns the the only teams that were around before the Super Bowl even existed to never win a Super Bowl (though the first two won NFL Championships and I know CLE at least won an AAFC Championship).

you're kidding right? Cleveland have 8 titles...
four AAFC and 4 NFL championships

Obviously not. I used to be better with my NFL history. I had a GREAT book as a kid that did short summaries of ever NFL season ever. I would kill for an update of that book.

I knew Cleveland ruled the AAFC in the Otto Graham days, but I couldn't remember how many NFL Championships they've won (if any). Thanks for the note.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Cleveland won the NFL championship in 1964 (beat Johnny U and the Colts....it is also the last major pro sports championship the city of Cleveland has enjoyed)

Philly won the NFL championship in 1960 (beat Green Bay, the only championship game Vince Lombardi ever lost)

Those are the most recent NFL championships for those respective franchises.

253hawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2x6nm2wp said:
With the 49ers I always try to be specific and say it took them 35 years to win their first "championship" since they were around before the Super Bowl. But still accurate.

And they won the first four (and technically the fifth) pre-salary cap. There was a lot less parity in the league before that kicked in.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":29chm0il said:
Are the Eagles, Lions, and Browns the the only teams that were around before the Super Bowl even existed to never win a Super Bowl (though the first two won NFL Championships and I know CLE at least won an AAFC Championship).

Buffalo & Minnesota jump to mind as missing from that list. San Diego has got to be older that the SB and they don't have one. Arizona is actually one of the oldest franchises in the league and they never won one. Cincinatti and Atlanta might be older than the Super Bowl by a couple of weeks. Too lazy to google it...

Yeah, lots of teams with history more pathetic than ours... now...

TJH

Reaction score
Why are you people so freaking sensitive about everything....

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's a tough thing..Is it fair to discount NFL championships just because there wasn't a Super Bowl?On one hand they played less games and there was less teams ect ..I wish there was an easy way to make all the fans happy but there isn't..

sutz

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Stealers were pretty pathetic before the 70's for multiple decades. IDK if they ever won a championship before Bradshaw, but I don't think so.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CANHawk":193scgo7 said:
Smelly McUgly":193scgo7 said:

Buffalo & Minnesota jump to mind as missing from that list. San Diego has got to be older that the SB and they don't have one. Arizona is actually one of the oldest franchises in the league and they never won one. Cincinatti and Atlanta might be older than the Super Bowl by a couple of weeks. Too lazy to google it...

Yeah, lots of teams with history more pathetic than ours... now...
Buffalo, original AFL team so 1960, 7 years before the first SB
Ditto San Diego (were the Los Angeles Chargers in the first AFL season then moved to SD in '61)
Minnesota, NFL expansion team 1961, 6 years before the first SB
Arizona were the St. Louis Cardinals and before that the Chicago Cardinals and the franchise goes back to the 30s I believe, maybe the 40s
Atlanta, NFL expansion franchise in 1966 IIRC, the season that the first SB followed
Cincy AFL expansion franchise also in '66 I think

Thanks for adding to the list CAN. What I typed above is from memory but I do believe it's mostly or all correct. I love the history of pro football and MLB.