We got Jadeveon Clowney !!!

Seymour

Reaction score
This is a really bad trade and one that will once again bite us in the ass!!!

Pete and John have lost their minds. :pukeface:

Fade

Reaction score
Seymour":21b0kis6 said:

Really?

Please elaborate.

Or sarcasm?

getnasty

Reaction score
Fade":2xp8zqsi said:
Seymour":2xp8zqsi said:

Really?

Please elaborate.

Or sarcasm?

There's always one

Seymour

Reaction score
3 players and a chance to bring the cap down with the 3rd round pick lost for a 1 year rental (most likely outcome IMO), will likely end up costing us Reed who will be the bigger loss of the 2.

Sorry, I'm just not high on Clowney at all, and he is an injury risk as well.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seymour":2uxby7eq said:
3 players and a chance to bring the cap down with the 3rd round pick lost for a 1 year rental (most likely outcome IMO), will likely end up costing us Reed who will be the bigger loss of the 2.

3rd rounder will likely be recouped as a comp pick if the outcome is as you predict. Furthermore there's no cap hit going forward if he leaves after this year so Reed can comfortably be re-signed even in the unlikely event that Fade's numbers below are incorrect. In the meantime the pass rush goes from a major weakness to at the very least "good" for this season. This also buys time for Collier and Green to develop. Still searching for the downside here......................

Fade

Reaction score
Seymour":2z2krka6 said:

If you are unaware the Seahawks have $60M in cap space next year, which isn't even factoring in rollover. I expect the number to be $70M after rollover, if not more if Justin Britt is jettisoned.

Seattle have tons of cap space to pull this move off. And still retain Reed if they so choose.

Seattle has a boatload of picks upcoming.

The only way this ends up a bad trade is if Clowney is immediately injured, and Martin proceeds to star for the Texans. This is the NFL, and it could happen, but the Seahawks have done a tremendous job here of mitigating the risk, with having a very high reward potential.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":35wrqiox said:
Seymour":35wrqiox said:

If you are unaware the Seahawks have $60M in cap space next year, which isn't even factoring in rollover. I expect the number to be $70M after rollover, if not more if Justin Britt is jettisoned.

Seattle have tons of cap space to pull this move off. And still retain Reed if they so choose.

The only way this ends up a bad trade is if Clowney is immediately injured, and Martin proceeds to star for the Texans. This is the NFL, and it could happen, but the Seahawks have done a tremendous job here of mitigating the risk, with having a very high reward potential.
So much this. Good post.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3hwn38ma said:

Considering your nickname you seem surprisingly short sighted.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Fade, I don't really appreciate the condescension in your tone. I know what a 5-tech/7-tech are, and I don't think it's silly that people have suggested he could play some 5-tech. You're posting like you're THE authority on how the coaches WILL use Clowney, and I don't think you know any better than the rest of us. Already you're retreating from your initial assertion:

Fade":1aml3ppg said:
Clowney in the Base Defense will start at Leo.

Clowney will be at Leo or a traditional 7T 43end.

He will lineup in 7T & W9 most of the time.

Obviously the Seahawks play a lot of looks in base, but their TRADITIONAL 4-3 under involves a 5-tech playing on the left with a LEO (9-tech) on the right. Of course they play a lot of different looks on mixed downs.

To pile on more the lightest 5T Pete has ever used was 285lbs. Clowney is a Ferrari, they are going to play him on the edge, and stand him up and rush the A&B gaps where he can use his freak athleticism.

Quinton Jefferson 290 Ibs.
LJ Collier 290 Ibs.
Brandon Jackson 295 lbs.

Are the resident 5Techniques
Didn't Michael Bennett make multiple pro bowls filling this role at 275 lbs?

Also, are any of the guys you mentioned athletic freaks anywhere near the level of Clowney?

At any rate, maybe chill out a bit and allow that nobody (including you) knows exactly how Clowney will be deployed, and stop insinuating that people are stupid for thinking he might play something other than Leo (or I guess 7-tech, now that you've backtracked on the LEO proclamation) since we also have Ansah.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2epztbh8 said:

That's a crazy evaluation of a great trade . Ferguson could help us now and cost next to nothing to keep him now that's a far bigger waste of talent and resources than bringing in a premier pass rusher Clowney for a bag of chips.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
A-Dog":eq1m70ng said:
[youtube]Ro0UtRQ2XR0[/youtube]
Wow... I think I have a chubby after watching this. I'm saying here, that he's not going to just be a 1-year rental. We'll sign him to an extension after the season.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I need a good Texans message board so I can giggle all day. @Bluethunder What you got for me ?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":djc4q0ip said:
Fade":djc4q0ip said:
Seymour":djc4q0ip said:

So much this. Good post.
Yes... and he didn't even yell or call anyone a stupid name.

CPHawk

Reaction score
When healthy do we now have the top front 7 in the NFL? We already had the top LB core, bit with Clowney, Puna and Ziggy that puts us way up the list. Also the best named DL in the NFL.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
CPHawk":3higndnk said:
When healthy do we now have the top front 7 in the NFL? We already had the top LB core, bit with Clowney, Puna and Ziggy that puts us way up the list. Also the best named DL in the NFL.
On paper, it's tough to argue, but I just hope Ansah can stay healthy. Marsh would've been nice depth on the edge, but oh well. I still love the potential of Collier and Green, and this might give them more time to fine tune their games. The one thing that concerns me is the interior line depth. There's not much there after Poona and Reed.

Fade

Reaction score
A-Dog":1n0w5l2f said:
Fade, I don't really appreciate the condescension in your tone. I know what a 5-tech/7-tech are, and I don't think it's silly that people have suggested he could play some 5-tech. You're posting like you're THE authority on how the coaches WILL use Clowney, and I don't think you know any better than the rest of us. Already you're retreating from your initial assertion:

Fade":1n0w5l2f said:
Clowney in the Base Defense will start at Leo.

Clowney will be at Leo or a traditional 7T 43end.

He will lineup in 7T & W9 most of the time.

Obviously the Seahawks play a lot of looks in base, but their TRADITIONAL 4-3 under involves a 5-tech playing on the left with a LEO (9-tech) on the right. Of course they play a lot of different looks on mixed downs.

To pile on more the lightest 5T Pete has ever used was 285lbs. Clowney is a Ferrari, they are going to play him on the edge, and stand him up and rush the A&B gaps where he can use his freak athleticism.

Quinton Jefferson 290 Ibs.
LJ Collier 290 Ibs.
Brandon Jackson 295 lbs.

Are the resident 5Techniques
Didn't Michael Bennett make multiple pro bowls filling this role at 275 lbs?

Also, are any of the guys you mentioned athletic freaks anywhere near the level of Clowney?

At any rate, maybe chill out a bit and allow that nobody (including you) knows exactly how Clowney will be deployed, and stop insinuating that people are stupid for thinking he might play something other than Leo (or I guess 7-tech, now that you've backtracked on the LEO proclamation) since we also have Ansah.

You must have misread my posts. I am not backtracking on anything.

People seem to think 2nd DE = 5 TECH.

When Clemons & Irvin where both at DE in Nickle, do you think one of them was at 5T? LMAO

Just like when Ziggy & Clowney are both on the field, that will not be the case.

They will be playing a Wide 9 to 7 technique on opposite sides with their ears pinned back.

-or-

On occasion they will stand Clowney up over the Guard, (not in a 3 pt stance), and have him rush the A&B gaps. Mixing in games up front (stunts and twists).

I thought Bennett was 285, and he was the player I was referencing, and is the smallest to play that spot for Pete, the exception, not the rule.

But my point still stands, you don't put a Ferrari at 5T.

Clemons
Avril
Irvin
Clowney

Are not 5 techniques.