We have a running back problem

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The good news is they were still calling runs yesterday trying to get it going. The pass-to-run ratio was still high, but they never really quit on it.

original poster

Reaction score
I'm in two minds about our running game.

It has been pretty useless through five games now (don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Chris Carson's return but most of his yards came in the 4th quarter once the defense is worn, not in the first half setting a tone). I am actually amazed to see we are ranked 12th overall in rushing yards, I genuinely thought we'd have been into the bottom third. Not to mention only having two rushing touchdowns (the same as our defense has produced!).

We are clearly 'joining the times' of a passing league and getting better and better at it, since Lynch we haven't had a reliable back that can come in and take the load so most likely the coaching staff didn't want to adopt this approach, more their hands were forced through injuries. It does seem to be working, though. Russ has thrown 8 TD's through 5 games and our O-Line seems to be dramatically better at pass blocking than run blocking (from a TV viewing perspective, not All22/Coaches Film).

It's great to see the team evolve and (slowly but surely) heading in the right direction.

We are just about to hit our stride and every aspect of their game can only improve, I'm devastated we have to wait 2 weeks for another Seahawks game!

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2fkb66ty said:
Scorpion05":2fkb66ty said:
This was the Rams front 7

Rams were ranked 30th against the run coming in . . .

Lacy and Rawls are bad, exacerbated by a line that can’t run or pass block.

Umm no..

This Rams front seven gave Ezekiel Elliot and that O-line trouble in the 2nd half...so I don't buy it. Plus, it's a division rival so they're familiar

Hawks46

Reaction score
The only problem we have is that the coaching staff can't seem to figure out that Lacy is the slowest back in the league to the hole.

We need to save him exclusively for the 2nd half of games when defenses are a step slower as well. He's our closer, not our opener.

Seymour

Reaction score
capncrunch":kg3hl93i said:
Lacy looks too slow to me. I realize we are getting blown up on the line on a lot of those plays. I don't see anything wrong with Rawls. I would like to see Prosise have an expanded role and see how that goes. He has a combination of size and speed like Carson that could be very effective. I assume he'll be ready to go next game.

AIRCARE MEDEVAC

RussB

Reaction score
Miss chris carson already.He just made it work behind this line, he just attacked whatever opening he got and was very physical throughout the whole run allowing him to maximize any gain. He also had some nice cuts when blocking wasnt good.

Sucks so bad he got injured .

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Leee-roy":3kg0oeyv said:
a shitty line will make Barry Sanders look like Bernie Sanders.....

We have a thread winner! :2thumbs:

For all the slow but incremental improvements with passpro the OLine still is underachieving with run blocking.

Neither OG is able to move the pile, or not able to block a lane.

Don't understand why Lacy can't seem to translate his size into power, or what is missing with Rawls this season? I do accept the above thread winning comment is most likely the reason. Depending on the always injured Prosise to be a bell cow RB is like waiting for pigs to fly. Definitely missing Carson.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Optimus25":3p5apse9 said:
and when cj gets back watch out.

Woo good one! Dude's more brittle than the Bubble Boy.

I agree, with Carson out we do have a RB problem. Too many backs, and none of them a complete back. Which now creates this dysfunctional RBBC we got going now.

There is no right answer with our RB and O-line run blocking deficiencies. Just gotta keep pounding away hoping one or two of these guys can find some sort of groove as the season goes along.

White Devil

Reaction score
It looks to me like Rawls needs to settle down. I know he wants to get in there and do a great job, but he seems to be pushing his runs.

He jumps up, kicking legs, feet a blur underneath him, seems off balance continuously, almost top heavy when he's running. I hate to say it, but he's become CMike 2.0. The only saving grace so far is that he hasn't had the fumbles like Michael did.

Lacy hasn't hit his stride, but I think he can get better with time. Rawls seriously has me concerned with the style he's running at now.

As for is it the Line or the Back?

Carson seemed to be able to find room to run with these guys. Doesn't mean they were opening holes for him, but you can see why he won the starting job.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Very much a quantity over quality situation. Rawls and Lacy look like they are not NFL caliber players to my eyes. I would like to see the run game almost entirely replaced with the short passing game like the Pats have done at times, because currently running the ball is a waste of a down.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I doubt Chris Carson would have been able to generate much behind this Oline and against that front 7. They're linemen are good, ours are mediocre, which makes the back look bad. Our guys were often hit behind the line of scrimmage. Hard to generate much with that kind of penetration. Give both more time and I think we see good production in the second half of the season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Leee-roy":1uvwmrfb said:

Barry Sanders played behind a shitty Detroit Lions OL. And no, he didn't look like Bernie Sanders doing it either.
[youtube]Jy1JjDq5lz8[/youtube]
[youtube]iKO_9iQs3l8[/youtube]

Link to another Barry Sanders highlights video- https://dai.ly/x5olvsq

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
King Dog":3svk2976 said:
I tend to disagree. I believe we have an offensive line problem. Hasn't Collins gone for almost a hundy the past two weeks in Baltimore?

This. :ditto:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3itvujwl said:
Leee-roy":3itvujwl said:

Barry Sanders played behind a shitty Detroit Lions OL. And no, he didn't look like Bernie Sanders doing it either.
[youtube]Jy1JjDq5lz8[/youtube]
[youtube]iKO_9iQs3l8[/youtube]

Link to another Barry Sanders highlights video- https://dai.ly/x5olvsq
This was my thought exactly..I remember the Lions had some bad Lines and Barry Sanders still created runs from crap,He was the best RB I ever saw period and I have seen many over the years.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Leee-roy":2rwoxn18 said:

We didn't have a shitty line yesterday. There were creases all over the place. The backs weren't finding them.

naholmes

Reaction score
White Devil":zziv6zbi said:
It looks to me like Rawls needs to settle down. I know he wants to get in there and do a great job, but he seems to be pushing his runs.

He jumps up, kicking legs, feet a blur underneath him, seems off balance continuously, almost top heavy when he's running. I hate to say it, but he's become CMike 2.0. The only saving grace so far is that he hasn't had the fumbles like Michael did.

Lacy hasn't hit his stride, but I think he can get better with time. Rawls seriously has me concerned with the style he's running at now.
I know what you mean about Rawls he seemed too amped up at the beginning of the game and super frantic. However, I believe he can settle down and be productive with more carries. He did look much better at the end of the game grinding out the clock. He was actually making guys miss and broke a few arm tackles.

I think they can make it work with Rawls as the lead and McKissic as the change of pace. Leave Lacy for short yardage or punishing a worn out defense. Prosise can be kept in glass for emergency only.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Rawls needs to get the rust off. I think he started doing so in LA and will keep improving. Needs to stay healthy though.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
Lacy and rawls are running like two ppl who are worried about getting hurt,which behind this line I don't blame them,there seems to be just a lil hesitation instead of just slamming it in there.Forget the big play just give me 3 yards.bring Davis up and see the difference.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1insorqc said:
Scorpion05":1insorqc said:
This was the Rams front 7

Rams were ranked 30th against the run coming in . . .

Lacy and Rawls are bad, exacerbated by a line that can’t run or pass block.

Has to make afan sick, right?
Coaches not able to exploit that reality. Again.
Any givin' Sunday...I'll take one for starters.