Welker Touchdown

HawkDabz

Reaction score
Does anyone else think the Welker Touchdown was BS when the Broncos were blocking and pushing the seahawks into the endzone way before the Ball was caught, and on a play earlier, I think it was Baldwin got called for Offensive Pass Interference on a play similiar, but was being engadged alot more by the defensive back. I thought that was a clear penalty that should of been called, and the other one should not of been. Anyone else have any thoughts on those 2 plays?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, he was wide open, so it was more the coverage and letting him get to the end zone that was lame. But Wes Welker is a damn good player, he has done this many times. The refs were ridiculous in all the calls, for both teams. Let em play some damn football, geez.

The Radish

Reaction score
Yes there was someone pass blocking before the ball was thrown which kept the defender from getting over and stopping Welker short of the endzone.

But after the referee BS we've seen in both games I can't imagine anyone worrying about one particular or the other, especially in a pre-season game.

OP
OP
H

HawkDabz

Reaction score
I agree, just think there needs to be more consistency by the refs. I felt he was wide open due to the other bronco Driving the back defender and clearing him out to make welker wide open. Otherwise he would of probably been able to stop him at least from getting in the endzone.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Face mask on Wilson not called, and a hold on Mebane prior to that TD as well.

Seattle still destroyed them so no big deal, hoping the regular season refs are better though.

The Radish

Reaction score
12th_Bob":1z4o3doz said:

Seattle still destroyed them so no big deal, hoping the regular season refs are better though.

I saw the facemask and thought it was right in front of an official. I wondered wtf at the time.

Basis4day

Reaction score
The Head ref is being evaluated. This is his first season doing so. Better these mistakes be made in the preseason.

ensett

Reaction score
Browner had a chance to join in and completely destroy Welker right at the goalline but he kind of just stood there (wasnt the only time I saw him do that in the game, either). Come regular season he isnt going to spare people, penalty or not, players are going to think twice about getting cute and diving for a couple extra yards against us

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It was definitely a pick play, but it's allowed if you do it right. Tate didn't do it right when he got called for the foul, the Broncos did. Welker's been making a living off that play for 10 years btw.

The problem with that play wasn't the pick, it was the our coverage problems with the bunch formation. Hopefully we can get that cleaned up before the season starts, because we're going to see a lot of teams that use 4-5 wide bunch formations.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The Radish":3ys7z555 said:
12th_Bob":3ys7z555 said:

I saw the facemask and thought it was right in front of an official. I wondered wtf at the time.

I got pretty heated on that facemask. I think steam came out of my ears! :evil:

Laloosh

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2ulks6at said:
The Radish":2ulks6at said:
12th_Bob":2ulks6at said:

I got pretty heated on that facemask. I think steam came out of my ears! :evil:

Should have been called but maybe it was missed due to RW's head not being twisted 180 degrees and removed from his body...

rideaducati

Reaction score
HawkDabz":or0fbizf said:
I agree, just think there needs to be more consistency by the refs. I felt he was wide open due to the other bronco Driving the back defender and clearing him out to make welker wide open. Otherwise he would of probably been able to stop him at least from getting in the endzone.

They have been consistent. They have called penalties on the Seahawks that they don't call on the opposition because the Seahawks are just the more physical team.

I think EVERY rule change and rule emphasis change for this season was aimed directly at the Seahawks. Spinning the ball (Rice). Running backs lowering head (Robinson). Stiff arming (Lynch). Overloading line on field goals. Peel back blocks (Tate). Hits on guys being held up that are not yet down (O-line pushing Lynch). It looks like the it might be a high penalty year for the Seahawks. I think they'll be good enough to overcome though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 27171.html

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kihh1xo said:
It was definitely a pick play, but it's allowed if you do it right. Tate didn't do it right when he got called for the foul, the Broncos did. Welker's been making a living off that play for 10 years btw.

The problem with that play wasn't the pick, it was the our coverage problems with the bunch formation. Hopefully we can get that cleaned up before the season starts, because we're going to see a lot of teams that use 4-5 wide bunch formations.

That wasn't an allowable pick play. An allowable pick play is where two receivers cross and the secondary has to go around the first receiver to get the second WITHOUT ever being touched. This was pretty clearly someone blocking before the pass. If the receiver doesn't push Browner into the end zone, Welker gets annihilated (again).

Slick

Reaction score
Since he's no longer in Boston, I refrained from yelling "Wes Welkah" uncontrollably on Thursday night.

The Radish

Reaction score
I noticed in replays of the 'Boys game at coffee this morning the 'Boys were taking offense players with the ballk, ganging up on them, then throwing to the ground and wondered why we got called for that and not the 'boys..what was I thinking?

:les:

Hawks46

Reaction score
12th_Bob":31c4rxhq said:

I remember thinking that you can't get a more obvious and blatant hold than Mebane had, and no flag. I missed the facemask.

I also saw Browner hold up on that play, and I was thinking he didn't want to deck his own guys. On a couple of replays, he clearly held up on clocking Welker on purpose, as he had a clean shot at him.

Probably didn't want a fine.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
The refs have been a bit overzealous so far in this preseason I hope they chill out and let them play come regular season. Consistency is always being screamed for around here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":n20zjk9w said:
Sgt. Largent":n20zjk9w said:

That wasn't an allowable pick play. An allowable pick play is where two receivers cross and the secondary has to go around the first receiver to get the second WITHOUT ever being touched. This was pretty clearly someone blocking before the pass. If the receiver doesn't push Browner into the end zone, Welker gets annihilated (again).

Brock explained it on the broadcast differently. He said the WR doing the pick has to being moving upfield and has to wait until the ball is thrown to throw the pick (or at least simultaneous throw and pick).

Obviously it's a bang bang type of timing play and is unfortunately left up to the official to catch or not. My point was that Denver masked the pick way better than Tate, who looked like he had no interest in doing anything other than throwing the pick.........which made the pick obvious to the official.

Latest posts