We're an average offense.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Perfundle":36khr1jd said:
RiverDog":36khr1jd said:
Sgt. Largent":36khr1jd said:
We are not an average offense, right now we're ranked #10 in total offense;

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... 447263-n=1

Were our expectations for this offense higher before the season started? Yes. But O-Line injuries + Miller being brittle as a Christmas Ornament + no Harvin = good, but not great just yet.

Which is fine. We're 5-1 with an under performing offense. Once our O-Line gets healthy and Miller and Harvin get back then we should hit the home stretch and peak at the perfect time. If the injuries continue? Then this year will be fighting for it's playoff life all year.

The ranking's fine, given that we're a top 5 defense, having a top 10 offense is a recipe for a Lombardi.

But stats don't tell the whole story. What I worry about is our passing capability. There are going to be occasions, such as the first half of the Atlanta game last season and the Houston and Indy games this season, when we're on the road and the defense stubs it's toe and we fall behind in the 4th quarter and are forced to pass the ball to get back in the game. We've won some of those games, or gotten ourselves into the position to win them, either on monumental mistakes by our opponent (Houston) or due primarily to Russell's scrambling, of which I feel very uncomfortable depending on.

If we get HFA, no problem. If we have to go on the road in the playoffs with this offense, I don't like our chances, particularily if we have to go on the road against a team like the Saints or Packers.
So you're saying that there are road games where Seattle might not be able to win, especially in the playoffs? I'm pretty sure you can say that for the other 31 teams too. If you're uncomfortable depending on Seattle to come back, guess how fans of the other teams feel, because the fact is that Seattle under Wilson has been able to come back no matter how big the deficit is.

You guys have a good point about HFA being an advantage for the other 31 teams...except that we have what is arguably the biggest HFA in the league. It makes our defense play better, much more so than the offense. We get on the road, and our D suddenly becomes a lot more susceptible, like it did in Houston and Indy, when we don't get the pass rush or benefit from the opponent's inability to communicate, which means we're going to have to have a much better performance out of our offense in road games if we want to win, and that means throwing the ball with more effectiveness. We won't win games in New Orleans, Green Bay, or Detroit by scoring 20 points.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":276hguvq said:
You guys have a good point about HFA being an advantage for the other 31 teams...except that we have what is arguably the biggest HFA in the league. It makes our defense play better, much more so than the offense. We get on the road, and our D suddenly becomes a lot more susceptible, like it did in Houston and Indy, when we don't get the pass rush or benefit from the opponent's inability to communicate, which means we're going to have to have a much better performance out of our offense in road games if we want to win, and that means throwing the ball with more effectiveness. We won't win games in New Orleans, Green Bay, or Detroit by scoring 20 points.

No one's arguing with you over how important HFA is in the playoffs, I'm just saying I don't think our offense is "average."

There are about 22 teams that wish they had our offense with our QB, our RB and our WR corp (especially when Harvin's back). Can they perform better? Yes, of course......and once our O-Line gets healthy, Miller's back, and Harvin's back, they will. Or at least they SHOULD.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":yrjhmrix said:
RiverDog":yrjhmrix said:

No one's arguing with you over how important HFA is in the playoffs, I'm just saying I don't think our offense is "average."

There are about 22 teams that wish they had our offense with our QB, our RB and our WR corp (especially when Harvin's back). Can they perform better? Yes, of course......and once our O-Line gets healthy, Miller's back, and Harvin's back, they will. Or at least they SHOULD.

I think our WRs leave something to be desired.

Welker, Decker, Thomas (x2)
Witten, Bryant, Williams, Austin
Cruz, Nicks, Randle, Myers
Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Finley
Colston, Graham
Jackson, Maclin, Avant, Celek

Without Harvin, Miller and an effective Rice, we're very much lacking.

zayden185

Reaction score
davidonmi":3jo2c63i said:
HawkFan72":3jo2c63i said:
But he is the guy you are talking about that will scare opposing Defenses and open up everything up opportunities for everyone else. That's been a proven result since he came into the league.
that he can be. But he isn't a Calvin Johnson or AJ Green type of player

Who is??

Harvin will bring safeties up and have more 1 on 1 on the outside

See washing tons offense last year
Or Imagine Florida offense with Harvin
Lynch and russel (tebow)

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":rmakvfbv said:
RiverDog":rmakvfbv said:

There are about 22 teams that wish they had our offense with our QB, our RB and our WR corp (especially when Harvin's back). Can they perform better? Yes, of course......and once our O-Line gets healthy, Miller's back, and Harvin's back, they will. Or at least they SHOULD.[/quote]

My point about HFA is that it is more important to us than it is to other teams.

I'm looking at our team as if I were a coach and trying to figure out what we need to do to win a Lombardi, and IMO it isn't good enough to have an offense that is statistically sound or better than 22 other teams. We need to strive for perfection and not be satisfied with being 10th best. Hopefully getting guys like Okung, Harvin, and Miller will get us to where we need to be, but as of today, I have some grave concerns about being able to win on the road against playoff quality teams.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":15gz7ilb said:
LoneHawkFan":15gz7ilb said:
Sarlacc83":15gz7ilb said:
LoneHawkFan":15gz7ilb said:
Our offense is average. Maybe in a time when NO is 1-5 and Peyton isn't breaking records, average would do...but in this time and place, in this moment, in this season when our goals have grown to championship levels it is IMPERATIVE that we have an efficient, highly effective offense...in order to meet those goals. Our defense is stout, for sure...but watch this week when Denver goes to Indy and see how a stout, physical defense does against Peyton and crew. Let's see how KC does against that machine.

The Cowboys went up against that "machine" and put 48 points on them. The Jacksonville Jaguars played the best game against Denver this year and Jacksonville sucks. Denver is not unstoppable and a top 10 offense that's played 4 top eleven defenses is far from average.

The Cowboys lost at home after putting up 48 on them. I didn't say anything about Denver's defense...the fact that you point this out actually strengthens my stand. Dallas has a better OLine than we have, they have a stud WR1 and a stud blocking and catching TE, and a very effective QB (that does play bad when the game is on the line). They lost the game.

Jacksonville lost the game. I'm no mental giant, but it's quite likely that most of Denver's players weren't giving 110% on that day, either. I'm just not sure all things are equal there. Denver still won that game...6-0.

Can we beat Denver at home? Yes, if we play flawlessly. I would say there is less room for error on our squad, even at home. We were ho-hum against an injured Tennessee team. How would we have done yesterday against Denver playing like that?

No it significantly weakens your stance because it points out that the Broncos are prone to lapses. Also, you have a strange amount of love for a 3-3 team in the Cowboys.

A strange amount of love? Really? I live in Oklahoma; I hate the Cowboys. Would you rather have Dez or Rice? Witten or Miller? Their OLine or ours? As a 'Hawk fan, am I not allowed to compare other teams/ players to ours?

It doesn't weaken my stance because I never said anything about Denver's defense in the fist place; their offense didn't have a lapse. They went up against another pretty decent offense and gave up 48...which wasn't too many for them to overcome. My argument was simply that if we are going to win a Superbowl, we need to be able to score with Peyton and crew. On a great day, we can do that because our defense is good enough to contain them. But we haven't had but one great day out of 6 this season- on offense...and that was against Jax. This thread is about our offense within the context of the league's offenses...as it stands through 6 games of the season. Ours may be 10ish according to several stats, but even Wilson's ability to improvise is the main reason for that. As a UNIT...we are far from a great offense, and I think mediocre is a word that works to describe the unit as a whole.

Percy will help, a healthy OLine will help. Experience will help, and a few games against lesser front-7s will help.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":3svccnzp said:
A strange amount of love? Really? I live in Oklahoma; I hate the Cowboys. Would you rather have Dez or Rice? Witten or Miller? Their OLine or ours? As a 'Hawk fan, am I not allowed to compare other teams/ players to ours?

It doesn't weaken my stance because I never said anything about Denver's defense in the fist place; their offense didn't have a lapse. They went up against another pretty decent offense and gave up 48...which wasn't too many for them to overcome. My argument was simply that if we are going to win a Superbowl, we need to be able to score with Peyton and crew. On a great day, we can do that because our defense is good enough to contain them. But we haven't had but one great day out of 6 this season- on offense...and that was against Jax. This thread is about our offense within the context of the league's offenses...as it stands through 6 games of the season. Ours may be 10ish according to several stats, but even Wilson's ability to improvise is the main reason for that. As a UNIT...we are far from a great offense, and I think mediocre is a word that works to describe the unit as a whole.

Percy will help, a healthy OLine will help. Experience will help, and a few games against lesser front-7s will help.

I'd consider a Pick 6 to be a pretty big lapse. Also, I recall 3 of their TDs coming on runs by Knowshon Moreno, so it's not like Petyon lit the world on fire. You can stop the hand-wringing now.

Also, I'd rather have our players. Cowboys showed last year that they have a lot of quit in them.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1ec0kj96 said:
LoneHawkFan":1ec0kj96 said:

I'd consider a Pick 6 to be a pretty big lapse. Also, I recall 3 of their TDs coming on runs by Knowshon Moreno, so it's not like Petyon lit the world on fire. You can stop the hand-wringing now.

Also, I'd rather have our players. Cowboys showed last year that they have a lot of quit in them.

What did Rice show you in Indy on that last play that was intercepted? You'd rather have Sydney Rice than Dez Bryant?

I'm not freaking out about our team. I have confidence that we'll work things out and get better, but again there's a reason that we even have to say that, and it's because we aren't playing at the level we need to be to achieve that goal we are all hoping for.

Good chat.

Largent80

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":tkpuwn4d said:
Sarlacc83":tkpuwn4d said:
LoneHawkFan":tkpuwn4d said:
it's because we aren't playing at the level we need to be to achieve that goal we are all hoping for.

Good chat.

Really?....5 - 1 and in a clear division lead is not a goal?..... :roll:

Get used to winning ugly because that is the way we will do it with our schedule/players/injuries.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not freaking out about our team. I have confidence that we'll work things out and get better, but again there's a reason that we even have to say that, and it's because we aren't playing at the level we need to be to achieve that goal we are all hoping for.

Bingo. My sentiments exactly.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Largent80":1r8vqtva said:
LoneHawkFan":1r8vqtva said:
Sarlacc83":1r8vqtva said:
LoneHawkFan":1r8vqtva said:
it's because we aren't playing at the level we need to be to achieve that goal we are all hoping for.

Good chat.

Get used to winning ugly because that is the way we will do it with our schedule/players/injuries.

I wasn't aware that it was "that goal that we are all hoping for".

A one-game lead over defending NFC champs with 10 games to go...is a clear division lead? Got it, noted.

RiverDog

Reaction score

Get used to winning ugly because that is the way we will do it with our schedule/players/injuries.[/quote]

I wasn't aware that it was "that goal that we are all hoping for".

A one-game lead over defending NFC champs with 10 games to go...is a clear division lead? Got it, noted.[/quote]

The way I took it, the "goal we are all hoping for" is the Lombardi.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Most of the teams we've played so far have great defenses, including the team we just played that people are panicking over not blowing out. It shouldn't be surprising that the offense hasn't been perfect.

Who has Denver played? Nobody. The one team we have in common so far, Jacksonville, we actually outperformed Denver on offense.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1jhq85ty said:
Everyone complains about the lack of separation the receivers get on their routes. How much of that is because the defense knows what routes they're running and how much is because they're just not that good?

I listen to Mike Holmgren on KJR whenever I can, and he has said more than once that our passing game is very predictable, so, yes, there is a very good chance that opposing defenses have a good idea or what we're doing in that regard.

Uncle Beastmode

Reaction score
We gotta get are passing game on target,,alot of throws just off abit..
davidonmi":3g7239bb said:
HawkFan72":3g7239bb said:
But he is the guy you are talking about that will scare opposing Defenses and open up everything up opportunities for everyone else. That's been a proven result since he came into the league.
that he can be. But he isn't a Calvin Johnson or AJ Green type of player

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":318zghw6 said:
SeatownJay":318zghw6 said:
Everyone complains about the lack of separation the receivers get on their routes. How much of that is because the defense knows what routes they're running and how much is because they're just not that good?

I listen to Mike Holmgren on KJR whenever I can, and he has said more than once that our passing game is very predictable, so, yes, there is a very good chance that opposing defenses have a good idea or what we're doing in that regard.

Geezus, talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I wish I had a nickel for every time Holmgren ran a draw on 3rd and 12. If anyone's offense was predictable, it was Holmgren's in is last few years.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
RiverDog":26qjbqse said:
HawKnPeppa":26qjbqse said:
SeatownJay":26qjbqse said:

Geezus, talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I wish I had a nickel for every time Holmgren ran a draw on 3rd and 12. If anyone's offense was predictable, it was Holmgren's in is last few years.

I believe he said passing game. Not passing situation. Two totally different things.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Holmgren's offense was based on being so precise that even the correct defense could not stop it. The receiver's steps were counted, the ball delivered in a 2 foot square. Nobody did their thing. They did Holmgren's thing.

This offense has to kill him. The words "perfect the scramble drill" have to kill him.

Latest posts