What about Russell Wilson?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think it is reasonable to say that Russell Wilson has not exactly lit the world on fire during the past 2 games.

The good part is that the rest of the team has been so good we haven't needed him to.

Also, last year he took a while to get going so maybe he is just a slow starter?

Sure there were some blowouts, so he got a few games that were essentially free passes, but what he did in Chicago and more importantly, in Atlanta were performances that screamed top QB. So what is going on now?

Carolina still has one of the better front 7s out there, but the secondary is/was shaky so why couldn't we take better advantage of them? And the 49ers have another one of the better front 7s too, so that has to account for some of the reduction in his effectiveness but he clearly has not taken that big leap in effectiveness that we expected to see in a Yr 1 vs Yr 2 QB.

Is something missing? Is this on him? The playcalling? Personnel changes (lack of effective TE for instance)? Sophomore slump or just a weird statistical hiccup at Game 2 in a much longer season where this all evens out?

Clearly, winning games without needing your QB to light the world on fire is a plus. But if this team wants to win everything, it seems you would need the QB to be performing at a high level too.

What gives?

Erebus

Reaction score
He was fine in Carolina. The slow start could've just been it being so early and hot. He finished the game with his highest regular season passing yardage total and completed 75% of his passes. Nothing to worry about there.

Last week probably had a lot to do with the 49ers defense and maybe the rain had a little impact. Pass blocking wasn't great, either.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Lots of disruption so far this season. Miller missed all of camp, Rice missed most of camp, no Mike Rob and breaking in a new green rookie FB... lots of guys missed reps. He also has a rookie #2 TE that looks a little lost in the forest now - anothe guy who he needs to build chemistry with.

It's not all on him. We have played two good defenses and IMO, Bevell has not been great with his game planning and play calling so far.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm far from an X's and 0's guy but it seems to me that it's a combination of the excellent front 7's we've faced our first two weeks combined with a lack of real pass pro. Plus like Greg says, the lack of consistency and work he's had with Rice, Miller, et al, has to play a big role as well. You also have to wonder how much of it is due to the defenses getting to know his tendencies now with a full season and 2 games of footage to dissect. If he is still lukewarm after facing a bottom-feeding front 7 then I should say there's cause for some minor alarm.

sutz

Reaction score
One could argue he came alive a bit in the 2nd half against SF.

IAE, I'm not worried. I suspect it's largely on the coaching staff. In our limited sample size, they seem to have no problem with slow starts to the season vis-a-vis playcalling. They're still 'feeling their way' so to speak, determining what will be the mainstays for when the season really gets on a roll.

Everything that Wilson has done and said since he got here says he cares not a whit about his personal stats, as long as the team keeps winning.

It's the first quarter of the season. Like Pete says, you win in the 4th quarter. I'd bet he thinks that about the season, too.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
he simply hasn't had a comfortable pocket to throw from.

the biggest concern I would have is if that is an issue with the O-line just needing to "gel" as they say, or if he's not making the right reads and getting the proper protection set up.

I would assume it's the former because he did an excellent job of the later last season.

Unlike any other unit on the field the O-line has to work cohesively to do their job. They are the direct point of attack - the one unit on the field where any mistake is IMMEDIATELY recognizable.

Think about that.

If one person in your secondary isn't doing a great coverage job, the QB still has to find him, be looking his way, get a pass to him, etc. etc. . .

If your running back gets tackled for no gain, no big deal. it happens.

If one of your receivers runs a bad/unexpected route, half the time that ends up as being attributed to a bad throw by your QB.

BUT

If one person...just one person...on the O-line fails to do their job, your QB is getting bull-rushed by a 350 LB monster of the 'best athlete in the world' breed.

And if they are just not trusting in eachother, and workign well as a full unit, thats' going to happen. IMO it takes time for a unit to work together as one. They will improve as the season goes on.

WI-Hawkfan

Reaction score
Do you guys think it might be over-preparation? Everyone knows he's a film rat and is constantly working to improve his game. I know for myself playing sports growing up (obviously not the same thing) I found that the more I was thinking about what I was doing the worse I got (keep your hands in, stay on your back foot, look for the first pitch fastball, etc). It seems to me that he comes in with too much on his mind. But once he's able to settle his mind and just let muscle memory take over that he gets in a groove. It is definitely a worrying pattern though, starting off slow in the last four real games.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
IMHO: Wilson still looks a little rusty. But as S80 said, "2-0." It's really the only stat that counts.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
GAME-1: WIN, 12-7, RW=25-33/320/1-td, 75.75%, 115.7-QBR. 9.69-YPA, 12.8-YPC.

GAME-2: WIN, 29-3, RW=8-19/142/1/1, 42.10%, 63.9 QBR, 7.47 YPA, 17.75-YPC , RUSH 10/33 yards

Game-3: should be a lot more like game 1 than game 2 for RW ----> And game 1 was pretty darn good.
No worries.

Seaswab

Reaction score
He needs to trust his receivers more and get rid if the ball

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Seaswab":3q5vt5vo said:

He seems to think every play needs to be a big one. Just drop back and throw, the passing game is nearly completely void of timing and rhythm.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":260radwi said:
Seaswab":260radwi said:

He seems to think every play needs to be a big one. Just drop back and throw, the passing game is nearly completely void of timing and rhythm.

This . . . exactly what I pointed out to my wife watching the game last Sunday night.

We need to get him in rhythm from the first pass.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I'm not sure, the O-line seems to be giving up a lot more pressure and until the 49er game, I was wondering about Lynch being unable to generate but the play calling didn't help our running against Carolina after repeated watching. Lynch was able to break a few nice runs against them when going single back.

I'm losing faith in Rice this year and haven't been wowed by Tate yet either. Lots of talent, just got to get it rolling soon.

Seahawkx

Reaction score
Good post..

The way I look at it is what if we didn't have the best defense? Would we be 2-0?? Not a chance! We mostly certainly would be 0-2 with our qb playing like this.. We speak of him as an elite, but I don't think he has really shown anything other than that he doesn't turn the ball over and cost us the game.

We should admit that RG3 and RW need their running skills to be considered dangerous in this league.. They just don't have the elite pocket presence. The first half of last year, he was average to below average, but when they let him to start using his legs and running skill, he flourished. That doesn't mean that he all of a sudden gained more knowledge or skill to be a better qb. So my point is that the offense game plan is at fault here. Why was there a need of a change when we were the best offense in second half of last year. Let RW run. He isnt Manning or Rogers or Brady.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3duhhjuo said:
Seaswab":3duhhjuo said:

I think you have probably hit on something here and possibly he is over thinking things a bit too. No real rhythm yet this year but I think they will get there. Unfortunate that Rice, Miller, and Lynch, missed so much time this preseason.

Latest posts