What current nfl qbs are future Hall of famers?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Someone in the draft forum said Phillip rivers is a lock to be a hall of famer.... Kinda blew my mind.

I think Peyton and Brady are locks, after that there's a few guys on the bubble (Brees, Eli), and then there's you g guys off to a good start (Wilson, luck).

Thoughts?

kearly

Reaction score
Philip Rivers is currently 20th all time in passing, and he's only 33 years old. If he plays into his late 30s he'd easily make the top 10. He's also a legitimately great QB who can beat anyone. When he had a defense and a running game, the Chargers were the best team in the AFC.

Brees is a slam dunk for the HoF. He is 4th on the all time passing list and climbing. And he won a SB.

Rodgers is well on his way to the HoF.

They've been saving a spot in Canton for Andrew Luck since he was in the 8th grade.

Russell is probably in unless his career completely tanks somewhat soon.

Big Ben gets in.

Eli is probably in, unfortunately. He is the least deserving but he did win two SBs, and I think there will be a 2004 draft narrative that will help all those guys (Rivers, Big Ben, Eli) get in. Remember, the guys that do the voting are narrative whores.

Tony Romo could be an interesting one if he wins a SB in the next few years. Right now I'd say no way in hell, but him getting a ring and maybe finishing his career over 40,000 yards, in Dallas, would probably get him over the hump.

Matt Ryan isn't HoF caliber IMO, but he puts up great numbers. Could be a Dan Marino type if he lasts a long time.

Largent80

Reaction score
Pretty good group of QB's there Kearly and a nice analysis.

Kinda depends on what you touched on....how well a few of them do in their latter years. It might depend on playoffs/SB appearances and wins in those games for a few of them.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Well...Longevity is a big part of the Hall.

Patrick Willis for example was well on his way, but I kinda think he won't get in because his career was cut short.

As such...I can really only say on the guys who have played for awhile.

Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees....and at this moment, that's about it.

Luck and Wilson? Far, far, far, FAR too early to even have a conversation.

I don't like Rivers or Ryan much at all in terms of the Hall.

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":1q62uhw3 said:
Patrick Willis for example was well on his way, but I kinda think he won't get in because his career was cut short.

Injuries are rarely a factor for QBs. I can't think of a "future HoF" QB who was denied because he was injured in recent memory. Carson Palmer and Matt Hasselbeck come the closest, and both would be fringe even under ideal circumstances. Warner had some injuries but his real problem was that he started his career too late and finished with low career numbers. Warner probably gets in some day anyway. It will take him some time but I think he gets in.

Andrew Luck is in for sure. Whether he should be or not is irrellevent. He's been crowned the next Peyton Manning by the people who do the voting. And at least one person (Mel Kiper) has already referred to Wilson as a future HoFer. Jumping the gun a bit, but I think it's safe to say that Wilson is on a HoF trajectory.

If Rivers gets to 50k passing yards he's in for sure. And I think he probably gets there.

Guys like Ryan and Stafford are the interesting ones for me. If they play full careers they are going to have gaudy numbers by the end, and HoF voting is heavily influenced by counting stats. I don't think either one is actually HoF quailty, but they could end up with Marino type numbers if they keep producing over a full career. It will be interesting to see how fringe-elite QBs with 50,000+ yards will be viewed in the era of fantasy football.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Tom Brady: First ballot hof
Peyton Manning : First ballot hof
Aaron Rodgers: First ballot hof
Drew Brees: First ballot hof

Ben Roethlisberger: Will get in eventually, prob before Rivers and Eli
Eli Manning: Eventually will get in but it wont happy right away.
Philip Rivers: Same as Eli Manning

(I think if Ben, Eli, and Philip were to retire about the same time you will see Ben get in first followed by Rivers and Manning. The problem is I can also see them stealing votes from each other that could delay there chances of getting in as other players that were great at their positions are available)

Tony Romo: Shouldn't get in unless some big things happen but I can see him sneaking in only because he is a Cowboy

Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck. If they maintain what they are doing they should get in but honestly it is way to early to talk about them two.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":209d9e19 said:
Philip Rivers is currently 20th all time in passing, and he's only 33 years old. If he plays into his late 30s he'd easily make the top 10. He's also a legitimately great QB who can beat anyone. When he had a defense and a running game, the Chargers were the best team in the AFC.

Brees is a slam dunk for the HoF. He is 4th on the all time passing list and climbing. And he won a SB.

Rodgers is well on his way to the HoF.

They've been saving a spot in Canton for Andrew Luck since he was in the 8th grade.

Russell is probably in unless his career completely tanks somewhat soon.

Big Ben gets in.

Eli is probably in, unfortunately. He is the least deserving but he did win two SBs, and I think there will be a 2004 draft narrative that will help all those guys (Rivers, Big Ben, Eli) get in. Remember, the guys that do the voting are narrative whores.

Tony Romo could be an interesting one if he wins a SB in the next few years. Right now I'd say no way in hell, but him getting a ring and maybe finishing his career over 40,000 yards, in Dallas, would probably get him over the hump.

Matt Ryan isn't HoF caliber IMO, but he puts up great numbers. Could be a Dan Marino type if he lasts a long time.

Agree on all accounts, although I do think guys like Romo, Ryan, Rivers, etc aren't going to get in even if they put up Marino like stats without getting a ring.

Marino threw for a bajillion yards in an era when only a handful of QB's threw for yards. Now 80% of teams throw the ball 40-50 times a game with spread offenses and rules helping the passing game. So that's going to weigh heavily on voters thinking about putting some of these QB's who played their entire careers in passing offenses.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I don't see Eli getting in.

The HoF is all about being the best of your era.

Eli falls well short of that.

You don't make the Hall for just a couple of real good playoff games.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame, then Eli is definitely getting in.

As for Rivers, he kind of needs a SB to feel confident. I can see it happening regardless, but that would put him over the top.

Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and Brady are definitely locks. Roethlisberger, too - because there's been discussion (by Peter King re: Darren Sharper) that rape shouldn't matter when discussing football hall of famers.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":2bb6ltoz said:
If Rivers gets to 50k passing yards he's in for sure. And I think he probably gets there.

Don't agree. Too many elite QBs ahead of him who have won it all. Eli and Big Ben have more yards and each has won two Super Bowls, and they are questionable for the HoF. I think Rivers needs to at least lead a team to a Super Bowl to warrant serious consideration.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Does it even make sense to use "all-time" stats as a measure for HOF eligibility anymore? We are in a pass-happy era where second-tier QBs are surpassing all-time greats with ease. Meanwhile, elite RBs are finding it increasingly difficult to make a stats-based argument for HOF consideration. We live in a world where Eli Manning, who in many of his "prime" years has been a bottom-half QB, supposedly has a better case for HOF than Marshawn Lynch. Don't even get me started on Romo. System is broken.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2mjwsogw said:
I don't see Eli getting in.

The HoF is all about being the best of your era.

Eli falls well short of that.

You don't make the Hall for just a couple of real good playoff games.

Eli's currently #15 in all time passing yards and #13 in all time TD's............add in two rings and at least 4-5 more years in the league and he'll be top 10 all time in passing and TD's.

Not to mention he will have played either all his time in NY, or the large majority if he happens to leave to end his career with another team. He's in the NE, where 75% of sports writers who vote on the Hall write.

I'd agree with you if Eli had zero rings and played in Kansas City or Detroit his entire career. But like I said.....NY Market + top 10 passing/TD's and two rings = HOF.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
1. P. Manning
2. T. Brady
3. A. Rodgers
4. D. Brees

Are the only current mortal locks.

5. B. Rothliesburger

Is a pretty sure bet.

6. E. Manning
7. P. Rivers

Things have to break right for them in the next couple years and maybe beyond. Eli is an interesting case given his generally average statistics but winning two Superbowl rings and being in New York.

Ryan and the new generation don't have near enough of a body of work to even guess UNLESS Wilson manages to win Superbowl 50 with Jimmy being Jimmy (being Wilson's first bona-fide top level receiver). Then the conversation might get seriously interesting.

NINEster

Reaction score
Philip Rivers is a very good QB.

A bad organization in SD has undermined how good he is. Had that Charger DB fell on that Brady INT in the 2004 playoffs instead of running it back a bit and fumbling, I really think we would be talking about at least one Rivers SB appearance.

My friend said it best -- "Roethlisberger, Eli, Rivers are all the same guy. Pretty much interchangeable with teams and the success they would have had."

More or less I agree with that. It's possible that Eli & Ben are a bit more clutch while Philip is a bit more Peyton Manning regular season dominant. Although as much as I love him, Marty Schottenheimer had a bit of that playoff hump to get over.

NINEster

Reaction score
A note about Eli:

If he wasn't every bit as good as he was, the 49ers get into the SB in 2011 no questions asked.

He was a helluva QB in that game. I hate the bastard, but it is what it is. His very best NFL performances are really, really good. It just always happens when you least expect (and want it if you're not a Giants fan).

His mediocrity otherwise has made losing to him so damn annoying to Niner and Patriots fans everywhere. Picking him off 5 times last year was a tiny consolation prize for him looking like Joe Montana in prior appearances.

He completely carried that team in that year's playoffs offensively.

In many ways, his 2011 season was more impressive than 2007.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NINEster":206frudy said:
.....Had that Charger DB fell on that Brady INT in the 2004 playoffs instead of running it back a bit and fumbling, I really think we would be talking about at least one Rivers SB appearance........
Good to see someone remembers that. One guy trying to get TV time and be the 'star' cost an entire team a Super Bowl.

I wouldn't want Eli as my team's QB, let alone vote him into the Hall. Way too many ints for my taste. But playing in NY and getting 2 Owls means he's a lock.

As several folks have mentioned, Brady, Pey Pey, Erin and Brees are locks. I think Rapistberger will get in (2 Owls and a 'legacy' franchise). Luck and Russ are well on their way. Rivers? Maybe. Ryan? No. Stafford? Uh uh. Romo? One Owl would get him in (legacy franchise). Otherwise, I don't think so.

Kurt Warner should be in.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The big four are locks.

I'd prefer Eli and Rivers not make it. Neither of them are even locks as top 5 qbs in their eras. I know that's an ad hoc metric, but I think it's important.

As for Rothliesburger, he has been overrated his whole career. I think he'll get in. I do however think that being a serial rapist will make him have to wait for it longer than he would otherwise.

I think Andrew Luck and Cory Redding are still both way too young to even be talking about the hall. Those conversations can sit on ice for at least another five years, if not more.

Tical21

Reaction score
Ben and Eli are locks. Two Super Bowls and good enough numbers. I'll give anybody 100/1 right now on both of them getting in, barring being banned from the game for some reason.

I can't see Romo getting in. Too many mistakes in crucial situations. However, he is one of the best regular season QB's in the history of the NFL. I can't see Rivers gettin in either. They're just not good enough. I'd put Bledsoe in line before either of them.