What exactly does Pete do on gamedays, as head coach?

Reaction score
I've had this question in the tank for over a year but was too shy to post it LOL.

What I'm curious about is, for our particular team, what does Pete do exactly on gamedays? Does he have input in every timeout of what should happen, or does he just listen in to the coordinators while they issue instructions? For example, offense timeout, RW trots over and gathers with his coach, the 2nd QB, and Pete strolls over. Does Pete just put his stamp on a suggested play, or does he make some observation about the defense and what might work best against them?

With Holmgren, I knew he was in charge of the offense and kinda left the defense to the DC. How much does Pete dictate about the defense on gameday or does Quinn have full say?

I see Pete constantly wandering up and down the sidelines, chatting away on his headset....just curious as to how our coaching hierarchy really executes on gameday.

Thanks!

drdiags

Reaction score
He will handle challenges, any 4th down decisions and strongly advise changes in offensive/defensive play-calls. He tends to want the crowd fired up 24/7, so he gets his coaches to pump up the volume if there is a lull. I think that is why Jerry Gray left. He didn't want to cheerlead and I think coach expects his coaches to help fire up the team and the crowd during game day.

Just my speculation on Gray. Anyway, I think he is letting his coaches do their jobs but he will intercede if he doesn't see the performance he wants. He also will coach up his players, as noted in his sideline coach-up of ET and Lynch, though Lynch blew him off the one time that was pretty hilarious. Even Pete had to chuckle.

sc85sis

Reaction score
drdiags":rwpnvc3i said:
He will handle challenges, any 4th down decisions and strongly advise changes in offensive/defensive play-calls. He tends to want the crowd fired up 24/7, so he gets his coaches to pump up the volume if there is a lull. I think that is why Jerry Gray left. He didn't want to cheerlead and I think coach expects his coaches to help fire up the team and the crowd during game day.

Just my speculation on Gray. Anyway, I think he is letting his coaches do their jobs but he will intercede if he doesn't see the performance he wants. He also will coach up his players, as noted in his sideline coach-up of ET and Lynch, though Lynch blew him off the one time that was pretty hilarious. Even Pete had to chuckle.
I can't speak to why Gray left but you're absolutely right that Pete wants the coaches and the team to pump each other and the crowd up. One of the things he looks for in a coach is a guy with great energy.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Keeps the players jacked and pumped. Maintains a death grip on the D and running game until behind by at least two TD's. :cool: Your welcome.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
He stands idly and helplessly by while Gus Bradley calls for the prevent soft zone against Pete's better judgement.

sc85sis

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3t3kedrz said:
He stands idly and helplessly by while Gus Bradley calls for the prevent soft zone against Pete's better judgement.
Somehow the words "stands idly" just don't fit Pete.

mikeak

Reaction score
Do you guys think there is a lot of dialogue between plays like lets say you are 2nd and 8th do you think the OC and PC goes - so if we end up short here we are in 4th down territory so run twice after this play. Just in critical situations making sure there is alignment

Curious to how much of that is going on

formido

Reaction score
sc85sis":13yze445 said:
bestfightstory":13yze445 said:
Somehow the words "stands idly" just don't fit Pete.

Oops, you were caught by the straw man.

Latest posts