What exactly is a game manager?

evergreen

Reaction score
I think most of us resent RW3 being labeled as a game manager because of the negative connotation. One 12 hit it when he mentioned a game manager is not heroic. I bet most people would agree with that. So, RW3 is like the most clutch QB in a while (Joe Montana, Tom Brady...) Who on earth would consider RW3 as not heroic? What the hell is 4th and 7 against the 9ers then? We're so good right now he doesn't need to do it much. But there's not many QBs you'd rather have when it's all on the line is there?

They haven't figured out his definition yet...

chris98251

Reaction score
Game Manager, a QB that plays well uses his weapons and wins games.

Elite QB one that can put up ungodly stats for Fantasy football leagues.

sutz

Reaction score
Pretty sure it describes a QB that wins a lot of games but has crappy Fantasy Football stats.

;)

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Seahawks episode of America's Game says it all about our game managing qb.
Like Pete this young qb manages games, situations and men...
One play I assumed was Carroll ' s gutsy call (4th and 7 NFC championship down 17-13 against niners) was actually a Wilson decision. On the sideline you hear Wilson telling Pete to go for it because Russell tells him they are going to jump offsides. He says to Pete they have been jumping on regular run plays. Then for Wilson to go out there and throw a dagger into the heart of the defense wow! Too bad it takes a back seat to the Immaculate deflection.
Funny thing is RW makes great plays that look like fluke plays: quick wrist passes that fly true while falling down (think rookie preseason against Donkos), pinpoint heaters to the sideline for 20 yards while scrambling for his life and some of those passes from the pocket where I havent got a clue how he sees his man. Then there is that scrambling fading away pass to Rice for 45 yards to beat the Patriots...ridiculous.

Anyway, that kid has been doing great things at NC State, then at Wisconsin now in the NFL but
I for one think he has more upside. I would like to see Russell Wilson regain his form and dominance he had as a collegiate when he broke completion records. His defense will eventually let him down as it did in college and again on the big stage his rookie year. He's proven that 30 to 40 passes is not beyond him and he manages it better than anybody including RG3 and Drew Luck.

I have to admit I am spoiled as I have followed this cerebral and courageous young gun long enough to see his great plays unfold over and again on some of the biggest stages (NCSU vs UNC, Wis vs MSU, Wis vs Oregon, Wisconsin vs Nebraska). No game manager would have the talent and will to do what he has done.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
FargoHawk":18sx4eyq said:
Anyone, please give your definition here..........

A: The opposite of Tony Romo.

A: The name given to a religious setting depicting Russell Wilson as the Savior of the Seahawks. In the setting, Russell is shown in a cradle (manger) while Paul Allen, Pete Carroll and John Schnedier are shown kneeling reverently around the crib.
AboVe Russell's head is a halo made out of footballs

A

Anonymous

Fixed it.

Now answer the man's question, ya smart asses.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Tokadub":1veo42m6 said:
I think the term Game Manager originated from lazy analysts who needed a generic term to describe the success of teams that were doing very well despite not having a hyped up over rated Quarterback.

By definition a "Game Manager" is the job description of the QB. The game is largely in their hands and they need to manage it correctly, and make the correct decisions in order to win.

Actually, "Game Manager" is just PART of the job description of a QB, it's not the entire job description. And when people say a QB is a "Game Manager" they mean that they are JUST a "game manager", meaning that they are only fulfilling that particular part of the QB job description, and that they are not adequate to fulfill the rest of the QB job description. That's why the phrase is an insult.

Microfiber

Reaction score
Game manager is a stupid term. Most outside Seattle would describe RW as one. Another one is Alex Smith. I almost would put Tom Brady in that category as well. The only difference is he constantly has come back games. They follow the game plan and don't deter from it much. Game managers are a good thing, they manage the came and are consistent at it, and they rarely turn the Ball over. I don't see the problem with a "Game Manager" as long as the team is winning. It's a stupid term for people who are jealous of another teams QB, and they just try to find a way to put that team down by bashing on their QB.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The actual meaning of what a game manager is - and why it is an insult - is a QB who has a talented team around him and as long as he doesn't screw it up, they'll win.

Which is how the east coast media wants to see Wilson because they don't watch the late games and just read his stat line. What? Generally only throws for 180-230 yds? Surrounded by a great defense and Lynch? Game manager.

They can't be bothered to notice that a game manager couldn't have done the historic things Wilson has done. Tied Mannings rookie TD record with a fraction of the interceptions. Winningest QB his first two years. One of only two or three QB's to have over 100 rating after two seasons. Probably has the record for least INT's by a starting QB their first two years.

One thing that I find interesting, is that instead of just coming out and saying what a Game Manager means, people around here are trying to redefine the term. You don't need to and it's not true anyways. Game manager means a QB who isn't very good, but they are good enough to not make mistakes that cost their team, allowing a talented team to win. A steady, perhaps journeyman QB.

Wilson is not that, but the mediots are too stupid to realize this.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I can only tell you what or who isn't and you take it or leave it. It's not a quarterback that takes unnecessary risks. So this is who isn't a game manager.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Jay Cutler
3. That guy from Detroit
4.:Carson Palmer
5. Matt Ryan
6. Big Ben
7. Any quarterback with a running game that can't get at least 100 yards at 3.5-4.0 ypc.

Latest posts