What Greg Cosell said about Christian Ponder pre-draft

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Showed a strong arm against Oklahoma, with good juice on intermediate throws. Good feel for the timing of the drop-back passing game and should transition well to the NFL. Reads coverage well, and can stick throws into a tight window, essential for an NFL quarterback. Comfortable throwing the ball to the outside with timing.

Cosell also gives Ponder props for his arm strength, something he says Dalton doesn't have. It's Cosell's view that Ponder can make throws that Dalton will never be able to make because he has superior arm strength. And that's a tool that is vitally important in today's NFL.

Ponder more NFL traits than Newton/Locker/Gabbert. Better prospect than Dalton.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LOL.

I'm not normally one of these guys, but I honestly think I could play QB better than Christian Ponder.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
FWIW -- the game against Oklahoma referred to here included several turnovers because Ponder couldn't throw even a basic WR screen with any juice. He was hopeless.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Cosell is a smart X's and O's guy, but it seems he's off on his talent evaluation more often than not. Especially with quarterbacks. Anyone with decent eyeballs could see that Ponder didn't have good armstrength.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It seems that once you break into sports journalism with a major outlet, there is no expectation that you have to actually know what the hell you are talking about.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nanomoz":29d53qku said:
It seems that once you break into sports journalism with a major outlet, there is no expectation that you have to actually know what the hell you are talking about.

Especially when you're the nephew of a famous broadcaster. Nepotism ftw.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25c5fexo said:
nanomoz":25c5fexo said:

Especially when you're the nephew of a famous broadcaster. Nepotism ftw.

Well said.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Wasn't arm strength the main concern with Ponder? He had a grade three shoulder separation in 2009, and it reportedly took 3 years to even get all the feeling back in his arm. I know the surgery and resulting noodle arm is why didn't like the idea of him in Seattle.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1afxr5vh said:
Wasn't arm strength the main concern with Ponder? He had a grade three shoulder separation in 2009, and it reportedly took 3 years to even get all the feeling back in his arm. I know the surgery and resulting noodle arm is why didn't like the idea of him in Seattle.

Yep.

At no point in his final two years at FSU did he flash any level of adequate arm strength.

nanomoz

Reaction score
^And it's not like he had a laundry list of amazing intangibles to make up for it. SEE: Pocket Presence.^

Latest posts