What happened to heavy-weight boxing?

chris98251

Reaction score
That goes back the HBO situation with trying to promote and buy the rights to produce the fights, Pay per views etc. They have Monopolized it to a extent since they also hold the Purse strings.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":xe9lh8dh said:
That goes back the HBO situation with trying to promote and buy the rights to produce the fights, Pay per views etc. They have Monopolized it to a extent since they also hold the Purse strings.

And some of that happened with Ncaa final fore. Not to distract the thread tho..but as I pointed out before, TBS and tNt had the Saturday final four games on while CBS had squat. They hijacked the games for mo money.
Back on track, About 15 years ago they had Friday night fights which I think was about 3 rounder fights on Fox. Cant totally remember as it has been many years. And I had a cold one since then.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Greenhell

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":qvjbdxzi said:
What the hell is boxing??

Seriously though...

I'm more interested in a guy that can master multiple styles of fighting and put that skill on full display. Rather than watch a guy that has mastered a single craft. The biggest fighters boxing has are two old guys (Pac and Floyd)...and I would rather watch the Spurs play he Spurs than see that fight.

Boxing is going the way of MLB, it's too boring compared to the competition.

Master multiple styles of fighting yet they almost always end up rolling around on the mat trying to get an arm bar.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Greenhell":16m4eygi said:
SouthSoundHawk":16m4eygi said:
What the hell is boxing??

Seriously though...

I'm more interested in a guy that can master multiple styles of fighting and put that skill on full display. Rather than watch a guy that has mastered a single craft. The biggest fighters boxing has are two old guys (Pac and Floyd)...and I would rather watch the Spurs play he Spurs than see that fight.

Boxing is going the way of MLB, it's too boring compared to the competition.

Master multiple styles of fighting yet they almost always end up rolling around on the mat trying to get an arm bar.

Which is grounded in reality. Real fights (when not broken up by spectators) tend to end up on the ground. Once there, certain moves are no longer effective and certain moves are that much more effective. Go watch early UFC when people still relied primarily on striking. The fights were still dominated by those with BJJ and Wrestling backgrounds.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
I think as more and more sports leagues have developed it has diluted the market. Boxing was popular when it was not competing for popularity with the NBA, NFL, and the other behemoth leagues of today. Even baseball was largely a Midwest-Northeast thing before going nationwide. Boxing was also a way for minorities to attain respectability in the eyes of Anglos-Saxons when few other avenues were available. The extreme subjectivity of outcomes also hurts the sport in a world where people are less patient with the fallibility of human judgment.

Just a history teacher's take on the whole thing...

The Radish

Reaction score
Multiple sports & styles?

Yes,,,and master of none. I find this cage fighting as boring as watching dry paint dry. They throw arm punches that are week, kicks that have to be staged. As someone said earlier its watching one try to get an arm bar on the others throat rather than any kind of fighting.

If you want to see real kick boxers you need to watch the midget Chuck Norris, or Randal "Tex" Cobb. They at least has a great talent level of those sports as opposed to the new kids that can kick a bit and that's all.

I understand my sport is out of favor right now but it isn't because of a superior product, its because of money that has decided to have this type of sport. I've always said put a real boxer in the cage with one of those guys and see how long they last. I'd wager an old fat out of shape Roberto Duran could put most if not all of those cage fighters on the floor in a pretty rapid time frame.

As far as 2 guys hugging I agree the heavy weights have gotten out of hand with that. But the lighter weights are great to watch. anything above middleweights they need to be told to either fight or get points taken away. That will speed things up.

And the worst thing is the greatest announcer of all time, Michael Buffer being forced to do commercials with Flo to make a living.

:les:

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Not heavy weight, but that Mayweather vs. Maidana fight was damn entertaining. Best Mayweather fight in a long while.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
The Radish":3phvnvwd said:

Yes,,,and master of none. I find this cage fighting as boring as watching dry paint dry. They throw arm punches that are week, kicks that have to be staged. As someone said earlier its watching one try to get an arm bar on the others throat rather than any kind of fighting.

If you want to see real kick boxers you need to watch the midget Chuck Norris, or Randal "Tex" Cobb. They at least has a great talent level of those sports as opposed to the new kids that can kick a bit and that's all.

I understand my sport is out of favor right now but it isn't because of a superior product, its because of money that has decided to have this type of sport. I've always said put a real boxer in the cage with one of those guys and see how long they last. I'd wager an old fat out of shape Roberto Duran could put most if not all of those cage fighters on the floor in a pretty rapid time frame.

As far as 2 guys hugging I agree the heavy weights have gotten out of hand with that. But the lighter weights are great to watch. anything above middleweights they need to be told to either fight or get points taken away. That will speed things up.

And the worst thing is the greatest announcer of all time, Michael Buffer being forced to do commercials with Flo to make a living.

I'm with ya, Les. I can't stand watching MMA/UFC. It's bad boxing/striking followed by minutes of two dudes struggling to wrestle each other into submission. Are there some good fights, knockouts and impressive talent? Definitely. But the majority is shite and I think is taking away some great talent that could land in boxing.

UFC is like watching two dudes who wrestled their entire life get into a street fight. "Oh yeah, they threw a few punches and then started trying to beat each other on the ground, saw that outside of a bar last Thursday."

Boxing is masterful and controlled fighting. I just enjoy the structure and competition of going toe-to-toe, I guess.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
MMA isn't taking any great talent from boxing. Boxers usually are taught from a very young age with the exceptions of a few late bloomers (Sergio Martinez and BHop). Most MMA fighters have wrestling backgrounds and the few that do have some hands in the octagon would be bums in the ring.

Tical21

Reaction score
MMA was really interesting as a concept. When it took a Jiu jitsu fighter against a kickboxer to see what style was better, or a karate fighter against a street brawler. It was really compelling. But now, it is basically all a hybrid, as the previous poster said, wrestling mixed with dirty boxing. In the vast majority of the fights, nothing of note happens. The numbers are dropping quickly, and it figures to be all but extinct within the next few years, as it is simply a bad product. The sweet science, it is not.

To hit on Mayweather really quickly, I think this fight was a perfect blueprint for how to beat him, and a more talented fighter would have. Again leads me to believe that he would get absolutely carved up by Manny. He doesn't have the power to keep Manny off of him. Barring a perfect punch that catches Manny well enough to put him to sleep, it is a one-sided fight. Floyd hasn't fought anybody in years and years, and I think we're starting to find out why. He'll never again fight anybody that he has a risk of losing his perfect record to. Sad.

Atradees

Reaction score
Klitcho bros only fight "tomatoe cans". Or they hug for two hours like a poster said. Boring at this point. I do think we just need an exciting phenom from America to galvanize interest. Then there needs to be some honest boxing instead of
gimmicky stuff. Could happen! I edit to add: if the sport wants to survive there needs to be rules that address the elephant in the room or these same concerns we all have and make them audible. No fight rigging, no bogus clinching or reach strategies, rules that inhibit polital control from promoters and the like....

CPHawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":152of324 said:
The Radish":152of324 said:

I'm with ya, Les. I can't stand watching MMA/UFC. It's bad boxing/striking followed by minutes of two dudes struggling to wrestle each other into submission. Are there some good fights, knockouts and impressive talent? Definitely. But the majority is shite and I think is taking away some great talent that could land in boxing.

UFC is like watching two dudes who wrestled their entire life get into a street fight. "Oh yeah, they threw a few punches and then started trying to beat each other on the ground, saw that outside of a bar last Thursday."

Boxing is masterful and controlled fighting. I just enjoy the structure and competition of going toe-to-toe, I guess.

Boxing isn't fighting, it's to fighting what the British standing shoulder to shoulder and firing at each other was to war.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The Radish":3jzxaysz said:
I've always said put a real boxer in the cage with one of those guys and see how long they last. I'd wager an old fat out of shape Roberto Duran could put most if not all of those cage fighters on the floor in a pretty rapid time frame.

Really disagree. This has been tried, over and over. A pure striker in a MMA bout gets destroyed. An MMA fighter goes for the take down, gets him on the mat, fight is over.

No matter how talented a boxer is, if he finds himself on the mat, game over. Without a doubt. And he will eventually end up on the mat, having to grapple, it's just a matter of when.

Now there has been some striker/kick boxer type fighters who have had some success, but they learned to defend take downs, and learned to grapple a bit to get back on their feet. But those skills at an elite level would take years and years to master. A boxer couldn't learn something like that in a few months. It would basically be changing sports and devoting themselves to MMA full time for years, abandoning their old sport.

Put an MMA fighter in boxing gloves, in a boxing match, the boxer wins. Put a boxer in an octagon in an MMA bout, MMA fighter wins. Pretty simple.

Edit;

I literally put about 10 seconds into this search, googled 'boxers who tried mma', my first result, didn't even look past it.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/another- ... ken-by-mma

it was too late for the former boxing champion-turned-mixed martial artist; the time for heeding was past, and Mayorga, soft around the middle now and with only one MMA fight to his name (an ill-gotten TKO victory over a tomato can he beat with an illegal knee to the spine), walked into a cage in Nicaragua and promptly and inevitably got submitted by middleweight Rene “Level” Martinez, who may never be as good a mixed martial artist as Mayorga was a boxer (a world champion in two divisions, a 29-8-1 record, a cover story in Ring Magazine), but who, unlike Mayorga, is actually a mixed martial artist and not a dabbler and who did exactly what any mixed martial worth the name would do and has done every time a boxer dares/dared to try MMA: He took him down as soon as humanly possible and submitted him. No need to stand in the way of an artist’s fists when there are other options on the table.

Mayorga is only the latest in a long line of professional boxers who have deluded themselves into believing that skill sets between combat sports are transferrable and that toughness is enough to win a fight. From James Toney to Ray Mercer and now to Ricardo Mayorga, the list of the hopefuls whose hopes were quickly dashed by a choke is growing long.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Tical21":tn7u5tsu said:
MMA was really interesting as a concept. When it took a Jiu jitsu fighter against a kickboxer to see what style was better, or a karate fighter against a street brawler. It was really compelling. But now, it is basically all a hybrid, as the previous poster said, wrestling mixed with dirty boxing. In the vast majority of the fights, nothing of note happens. The numbers are dropping quickly, and it figures to be all but extinct within the next few years, as it is simply a bad product. The sweet science, it is not.

To hit on Mayweather really quickly, I think this fight was a perfect blueprint for how to beat him, and a more talented fighter would have. Again leads me to believe that he would get absolutely carved up by Manny. He doesn't have the power to keep Manny off of him. Barring a perfect punch that catches Manny well enough to put him to sleep, it is a one-sided fight. Floyd hasn't fought anybody in years and years, and I think we're starting to find out why. He'll never again fight anybody that he has a risk of losing his perfect record to. Sad.

I guess you havent watched Paq lately.

Happy

Reaction score
single biggest problem with professional boxing as i see it is it's not a real competition. prized prospects are carefully groomed and they fight nothing but cans and over the hill journeyman for years so they can amass a crazy looking win loss record which the promoters like. On the contrary a talented fighter who doesn't have good backers will never really get a change to move up in the ranks,.

It's a corrupt system that doesn't develop a critical mass of good young fighters. it's like the Dallas Cowboys of combats sports - stars and scrubs.

Wether you like MMA or not, the big fight promotions are all about competition. You're expected to fight frequently, the matchmakers put you with guys at your level and if you win you move up, you lose you move down. That simple. no protecting some fighters while ignoring others, no putting hotshots against cans to pad their records. Boxing needs to get back to that if it wants to have a chance to compete.

And les/radish, if you think a boxer with no takedown defense can whoop an MMA fighter of similar caliber you are out of touch with reality my friend. That notion has been tested over and over for like, 25 years now. the result is the same every time. Boxer gets taken down and choked out.

best regards,

-h

The Radish

Reaction score
You guys are right, I didn't consider the take down part of it at all.

thanks for letting me know.

As I said, I realize my favorite is old potatoes now. I didn't really find fault with yours just said I didn't like it.

There are really boring cage matches too,,,sadly.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
CPHawk":je8fwfr5 said:
Boxing isn't fighting, it's to fighting what the British standing shoulder to shoulder and firing at each other was to war.

Welp, when the boxers, announcers, media and every one else calls an upcoming match a "fight," one can deduce that they will be "fighting."

What is it then? You say it's not fighting and then include a ridiculous comparison to outdated war tactics... Please help me figure out what boxing is - if it is not a form of fighting.

Happy

Reaction score
Les, an MMA fighter who's style I think you would enjoy is Chuck Liddell. He was as close to a pure striker as you'll get in top level MMA. He had amazing take-down defense, the jujitsu guys simply could not get him on the ground. Exciting fighter, always went for the knockout. I'd be curious to see what you think of his style after watching one of his highlight reels on youtube.

I like boxing; it's the sweet science. It needs a full-on commitment to competition and fighter development to bring it back to it's former glory. I just don't see any entity in the fight game who has the focus and the capacity to make that happen.

Latest posts