What happened to our team?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3r4p963i said:
I can't say it enough: XLIX broke this team. It broke their spirit, and when no one was held accountable, that broken spirit was normalized.

If someone--anyone--had been held accountable after that game, if the organization had made any gesture to say "this is not acceptable," then maybe it could have been salvaged. But instead they continued on like it never happened, sold out for Graham to catch the ball on a play that had already passed, and sacrificed the whole of the team to keep a few fan favorites around like a Vegas nostalgia show.

"We've got all your favorites! Kam Chancellor (who has never been as good after his extension), Earl Thomas (who can no longer play 16 games), Jimmy Graham (who has never earned his money in our offense)," and so on.

If they were smart, they would have broken up the band to fortify the running game and bred some new hometown heroes. We kept the band together, and the rest of the league moved on without us.

2013 isn't going anywhere. It's frozen in time. We can watch the highlights any time. Let's stop looking back and start looking forward. Don't build a better 2014 team; build a better 2018 team.
This might be my favorite post of all time. Well said
Windy. Well said.

renofox

Reaction score
hawkfannj":bzvuxzp7 said:
Pete has failed to evolve and adjust. Failed to move on from obvious coaches that are hurting failed to fix an obvious garbage factory that is the Oline . And his stubbornness to admit we needs change

Nailed it.

RussB

Reaction score
I think what it mostly boils down to is not a great offense, and a slowly regressing defense hindered even worse by injuries to aging players. Kam even when healthy is not the same as he was in his prime, he is past his prime. Sherman has even regressed even though he is very good.Bennett is past it, cliff is out.

The defense is still elite though and among the best, they are just not the all time dominant one they were in 2013-14. And i think the coaching staff just cant see that and still think they are, they still seem like they refuse to adjust. So basically what you have is a regressed defense trying to carry a team when it cant do that anymore. The offense needs to improve for them to make another superbowl. They need to get rid of some of the vets on defense and invest alot of money in an offensive line and a possibly a new offensive coaching staff. This defense isnt good enough to win games anymore, but this team is very hard to beat when offense is firing.