What has happened to the best corner in the game?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1985w004 said:
He got paid and had a baby, that's what happened.

I don't care who's on the other side and how much more is on Sherman's plate right now, dude's got no fire in his belly. No one can tell me that's the same guy who self motivated himself by barking and screaming at anyone and everyone who put a mic in front of his face.

But it's not just Sherman, I see a bunch of people who got paid and aren't playing with the same urgency and ferocity that they were 1-2 years ago. Russell's running around making commercials and taking really stupid irrititating pics with his virgin girlfriend. Kam's missing tackles, Earl's cornered the market on the "I thought you had him" look on his face. Bobby's shoving WR's for no reason giving the Cardinals critical 1st downs.

All across the board I see complacency and not even 50% of the fire, tenacity and want to from previous iterations of these EXACT same players.

Superbowl talent, 8-8 level of play.

What has changed every year for the last 3 seasons? That's right , the defensive coordinator . We finally have downgraded and the defens isn't he same. A coach HAS to motivate , play the parent, psycologist. The players are the same, the coach is not. There s your answer

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
morgulon1":2htjcrek said:
Sgt. Largent":2htjcrek said:

I don't care who's on the other side and how much more is on Sherman's plate right now, dude's got no fire in his belly. No one can tell me that's the same guy who self motivated himself by barking and screaming at anyone and everyone who put a mic in front of his face.

But it's not just Sherman, I see a bunch of people who got paid and aren't playing with the same urgency and ferocity that they were 1-2 years ago. Russell's running around making commercials and taking really stupid irrititating pics with his virgin girlfriend. Kam's missing tackles, Earl's cornered the market on the "I thought you had him" look on his face. Bobby's shoving WR's for no reason giving the Cardinals critical 1st downs.

All across the board I see complacency and not even 50% of the fire, tenacity and want to from previous iterations of these EXACT same players.

What has changed every year for the last 3 seasons? That's right , the defensive coordinator . We finally have downgraded and the defens isn't he same. A coach HAS to motivate , play the parent, psycologist. The players are the same, the coach is not. There s your answer

I certainly agree with this, not having both Quinn and Norton has obviously affected the motivation, preparedness and execution of this vaunted top 5 defense.

But Sherman is in year #5, so it's more than just no Quinn with him. Dude's a shell of his former self, so again is he hurt? No, so what's the only thing that's changed? That's right, family and money..............and he's not alone.

Yes though, when you have complacency, it's up to the coaches to light fires under these guy's asses, and that's obviously not happening.

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":10o5ycoi said:
All these people who think Sherman needs to be messing about shouting at the camera to be good. How much of that did he do last year?

Same player. Same talent.

Maybe so but he hasn't been the same mentally since getting paid and it's getting pretty obvious now.

Even in 2014, Sherman was declining. He had 1 pick in his first 11 games and started giving up plays he hadn't in previous years. He also had just 8 PD last year despite being targeted more often. Compare that to Sherman's peak season in 2012 where he had 8 INT and 24 PD.

This year its like he hates interceptions. Sherman used to have WR hands but lately he just drops every pick. He is in a mental funk, it couldn't be more obvious.

Having the baby is probably having an impact too, but its not like Sherman is the first great NFL player to get paid and have a kid, yet his decline for purely mental reasons is something you rarely see in an elite player. Hopefully he snaps out of it by next season because Bennett and Avril aren't getting any younger and the secondary is wasting a helluva front seven right now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":31qvxe1f said:
theENGLISHseahawk":31qvxe1f said:
All these people who think Sherman needs to be messing about shouting at the camera to be good. How much of that did he do last year?

Same player. Same talent.

Maybe so but he hasn't been the same mentally since getting paid and it's getting pretty obvious now.

Even in 2014, Sherman was declining. He had 1 pick in his first 11 games and started giving up plays he hadn't in previous years. He also had just 8 PD last year despite being targeted more often. Compare that to Sherman's peak season in 2012 where he had 8 INT and 24 PD.

This year its like he hates interceptions. Sherman used to have WR hands but lately he just drops every pick. He is in a mental funk, it couldn't be more obvious.

Having the baby is probably having an impact too, but its not like Sherman is the first great NFL player to get paid and have a kid, yet his decline for purely mental reasons is something you rarely see in an elite player. Hopefully he snaps out of it by next season because Bennett and Avril aren't getting any younger and the secondary is wasting a helluva front seven right now.

It's just as much exposed as declining/motivation.

Sherman thrived in our cover three scheme when the other members of the LOB were performing at perfect levels. Now that there are cracks in the LOB foundation all over the place, he's being exposed for what he is, a system CB that when left to just do his job, take away half the field on the left side, then he can do that at a very high level................but when he's expected to follow one WR around or get out of that cover 3 comfort zone, he's being exposed as average at best.

RussB

Reaction score
Teams are throwing at him more, kam has been really bad in coverage and it seems like he gets no help on his side. For the most part he covers pretty good but gives up some big plays also. Like when brown caught that pass that bounced off of shermans hand was just lucky, he covered that perfectly.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ytnw9d4t said:
djb28":ytnw9d4t said:
Sherman has no help. Williams sucks. He sees a lot more coming his way. He cant stop everything. Geez. He is human. I thought he played decent.
THIS.

Literally amazing how people continue to blame Cary Williams for all the defensive problems :lol: :lol:

Sherman played like pure ass last night, and has been whipped repeatedly all season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
2Cool4School":3gt0a124 said:
Teams are throwing at him more, kam has been really bad in coverage and it seems like he gets no help on his side. For the most part he covers pretty good but gives up some big plays also. Like when brown caught that pass that bounced off of shermans hand was just lucky, he covered that perfectly.

What the hell was Marsh doing on that play? Dude's a foot taller than Brown, jump the F up and grab the ball!

So many mental mistakes, just ridiculous.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
morgulon1":1egjfgw3 said:
Sgt. Largent":1egjfgw3 said:

Weak excuse.

This has and always will be Pete Carroll's baby. The secondary especially.

Maybe Kris Richard is slightly in over his head, but the players still have to execute.. and they haven't done that one time this season against a quality opponent.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Anybody see this guy, please call the Seahawks office immediately. He is currently missing -

nfl_g_sherman11_600x400.jpg

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
rcaido":bu1iizms said:
He had 2 great games in a row...He had a really bad 1st half, it happens.

I think part of the problem is that Earl is out there trying to make sure Carry Williams dont give up a big play. So instead of having the extra help, they are leaning more to the other side of the field. Instead of focusing on their assignment, they have the back of their mind about Carry....

I've said in another thread, just bench Carry Kryptonite Williams...You will see the LOB will reunite.

[youtube]q7vBX7RcDa0[/youtube]

This is such an awful, awful take.

Sherman was in no way shape or form great last night. He was terrible. So was Cary Williams.

Oh and when Cary left the game due to injury against... I believe SF... Shead went out and got abused on two straight plays.

The whole defense outside of Bennett and Avril have been pure garbage against the good teams this year. But go ahead and keep trying to pin it all on Cary Williams, who I am half-surprised hasn't been blamed for ISIS, world hunger, the middle class going away, etc.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
What I think Is Really Happening:

He's just having a down year or just had a bad game.

What Would be a More Entertaining Story:

This is the "unbreakable" effect we've seen in the past with Mike Tyson and Nnamdi Asomugha. An athlete develops an "unbreakable" reputation and people overcompensate by getting too defensive and no longer even really testing them (e.g. throwing only to the other side of the field with Nnamdi, fighting defensively and never testing his chin with Tyson).

Then eventually the reputation totally solidifies as due to the reputation nobody is even testing the guy anymore (which confirms the reputation), until eventually someone says screw it and proves that the guy was never as "unbreakable" as people thought to begin with.

I think that's a MUCH MORE interesting narrative to talk about elite atheltes with, but again, personally, if we're intersted in truth I'd go with the high variance story: Nothing's wrong with him, he just had a pretty bad game. Fart.

RussB

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2rb58cmp said:
2Cool4School":2rb58cmp said:

What the hell was Marsh doing on that play? Dude's a foot taller than Brown, jump the F up and grab the ball!

So many mental mistakes, just ridiculous.
I know sherman tipped it perfectly and they just let brown catch it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":38aoz6jy said:
djb28":38aoz6jy said:
Sherman has no help. Williams sucks. He sees a lot more coming his way. He cant stop everything. Geez. He is human. I thought he played decent.

He got torched, blew coverage on the TD pass, and had 2 PI calls. At one point he was thrown at 8 times, gave up 5 completions for 75 yards. That's far from decent.

One of those PI calls was ridiculously bad. If you can't play defense like he did on that play, you just can't play defense any more.

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":252xko94 said:
Like 90% of the team, he's cashed it in. It's human nature, who has been the real winner this year.

The best analogy I can give is this;

The Seahawks are the newly-wed husband who put on 25 pounds and no longer takes his wife on dates. They got what they wanted, got paid, and are living to see another day.

It sucks as a fan, but this happens in all walks of life. Trust me, I'm not brushing it off. I'm just coming around to accept that this is the new norm.

This is so true.

Latest posts