What is really important to foster the .Net community

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Nunya":2nwginzh said:
I have been involved with internet forums for over 20 years. There are a few things that are fairly consistent with EVERY forum....whether it be Sports, Games, or Politics.

1. They need money and people to run them. Servers to handle the traffic, anti-hacking tools, repairs after hacks (and there will be hacks), hosting costs, website design.....they all cost time and/or money. The more active the site, the more money needed. Many forum users do not donate...but may over time. Example: I normally do not donate right away. I give it time to see how much the forum feels like "home". If I feel comfortable where I think i will spend a lot of time on the site, I will donate regularly. However, there are many who will never donate....and these people should not be shamed into donating. All that does is drive them away. "Begging for money" (not saying that is happening here) will turn people off and drive them away fairly quickly. In my opinion, the best method of passively aggressive method to request donations is to have a pinned thread at the top of each sub-forum titled "How to Donate"....and maybe have a visual bar at the top showing the target dollar amount needed to keep the forum open and the progress towards that target.

2. The forum atmosphere can be determined by the moderators. Moderating an opinion forum is like herding cats and is a thankless job. Too little moderating and the forum turns into a cesspool. Too much moderating and people feel censored. Not moderating equally (whether intentionally or not) with all members and the claim of "favoritism" is made. Moderators should have no reservations of removing posts or even a portion of a post if they believe the tone is too aggressive toward another member. Moderators must be willing to remain non-bias, be willing to commit a lot of their time, pretty much be willing to read almost every post....or be proactive to react to every complaint, and understand that people posting on an opinion forum are opinionated and may let emotions take over at times. Good moderators, in the numbers needed, are very hard to find.

3. People posting on opinion forums are often very opinionated themselves. That is why they are here. They often think they are right on everything and anybody that hold an opinion opposite as theirs are lacking in intelligence or critical thinking. However, there is a right way and a wrong way to get your point across. NEVER resort to making a member the topic. Stick to and address the topic itself. NEVER resort to name calling or Ad Hominem attacks. NEVER re-word what another member posts to show YOUR definition as to what they said. ALWAYS provide links or data to back up your stance (if possible). If you are posting opinion, show that it is opinion and do not try to present it as fact. Be respectful. All of these are easy to say....but often hard to do.

4. Those posters that many members seem to constantly argue with or "gang up on" are important to forums.....they create discussion. There is nothing worse than a forum where everybody agrees on everything. Don't attack them personally, address what they post. Nobody will stick around long if they feel they are the "whipping boy". Other, less active members, will not stick around long if the forum turns into a sniping range. Be respectful and try to be polite. In the words of Dalton: "Be nice....".

Sorry this is so long.

TLRD: In the end, the forum is what us members make it. Not the owners, not the moderators, but us members. If you act like you are in a cesspool, it will be a cesspool. Be courteous, be respectful, and most of all, "be nice..."....even if you think the person you are responding to has no clue on what they are talking about.

Good post! Wen it's nice to see you asking members for input on the direction of the forum. At the end of the day you own it and pay the bills to keep it afloat. I doubt you are doing this to get rich and have a passion for the forum and seahawks. I really dont see it as a sinking ship like some others do.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Nunya":3nnvxpdw said:
I have been involved with internet forums for over 20 years. There are a few things that are fairly consistent with EVERY forum....whether it be Sports, Games, or Politics.

1. They need money and people to run them. Servers to handle the traffic, anti-hacking tools, repairs after hacks (and there will be hacks), hosting costs, website design.....they all cost time and/or money. The more active the site, the more money needed. Many forum users do not donate...but may over time. Example: I normally do not donate right away. I give it time to see how much the forum feels like "home". If I feel comfortable where I think i will spend a lot of time on the site, I will donate regularly. However, there are many who will never donate....and these people should not be shamed into donating. All that does is drive them away. "Begging for money" (not saying that is happening here) will turn people off and drive them away fairly quickly. In my opinion, the best method of passively aggressive method to request donations is to have a pinned thread at the top of each sub-forum titled "How to Donate"....and maybe have a visual bar at the top showing the target dollar amount needed to keep the forum open and the progress towards that target.

2. The forum atmosphere can be determined by the moderators. Moderating an opinion forum is like herding cats and is a thankless job. Too little moderating and the forum turns into a cesspool. Too much moderating and people feel censored. Not moderating equally (whether intentionally or not) with all members and the claim of "favoritism" is made. Moderators should have no reservations of removing posts or even a portion of a post if they believe the tone is too aggressive toward another member. Moderators must be willing to remain non-bias, be willing to commit a lot of their time, pretty much be willing to read almost every post....or be proactive to react to every complaint, and understand that people posting on an opinion forum are opinionated and may let emotions take over at times. Good moderators, in the numbers needed, are very hard to find.

3. People posting on opinion forums are often very opinionated themselves. That is why they are here. They often think they are right on everything and anybody that hold an opinion opposite as theirs are lacking in intelligence or critical thinking. However, there is a right way and a wrong way to get your point across. NEVER resort to making a member the topic. Stick to and address the topic itself. NEVER resort to name calling or Ad Hominem attacks. NEVER re-word what another member posts to show YOUR definition as to what they said. ALWAYS provide links or data to back up your stance (if possible). If you are posting opinion, show that it is opinion and do not try to present it as fact. Be respectful. All of these are easy to say....but often hard to do.

4. Those posters that many members seem to constantly argue with or "gang up on" are important to forums.....they create discussion. There is nothing worse than a forum where everybody agrees on everything. Don't attack them personally, address what they post. Nobody will stick around long if they feel they are the "whipping boy". Other, less active members, will not stick around long if the forum turns into a sniping range. Be respectful and try to be polite. In the words of Dalton: "Be nice....".

Sorry this is so long.

TLRD: In the end, the forum is what us members make it. Not the owners, not the moderators, but us members. If you act like you are in a cesspool, it will be a cesspool. Be courteous, be respectful, and most of all, "be nice..."....even if you think the person you are responding to has no clue on what they are talking about.

Good contribution to this topic. I like some of this wording and may try to incorporate this into the guidelines.

xray

Reaction score
Wenhawk":39v9medh said:
AgentDib":39v9medh said:
In my view forums such as this one still serve a valuable purpose by enabling discussions. Reddit and twitter are inherently better for breaking news or as platforms to simply share your opinions with others, but neither are very good at fostering ongoing conversation.

To whatever degree this place has lost posters who are willing to discuss topics in depth and replaced them with posters that repeat their own opinions as often as possible is a negative factor.

Even if so, how do we make the best of what we have?

Drugs and or alcohol works most of the time for me at least . :irishdrinkers:

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This is all fine and dandy but most of the talent that was on this site has been run off by selfish knuckleheads.

Find some people who really know football and protect them from the knuckleheads with too much time on their hands.

Tape breakdowns and real analysis. If you do that I will donate to the site. If you don’t I’ll drop in once in a while to see how the weather is.

I’m not interested in get togethers and road trips. I come here for interesting takes on football. If you get somebody good and I haven’t seen it in a while, you need to pay and protect them.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1rzkd777 said:
Tape breakdowns and real analysis. If you do that I will donate to the site. If you don’t I’ll drop in once in a while to see how the weather is.

I, too, would love to see this.

chris98251

Reaction score
AgentDib":2wx26jk3 said:
In my view forums such as this one still serve a valuable purpose by enabling discussions. Reddit and twitter are inherently better for breaking news or as platforms to simply share your opinions with others, but neither are very good at fostering ongoing conversation.

To whatever degree this place has lost posters who are willing to discuss topics in depth and replaced them with posters that repeat their own opinions as often as possible is a negative factor.

We used to be the go to place for Seahawks news, members would find stories and post and get the link and discussions happened. It wasn't rumors, those were frowned upon, people felt it was an accomplishment to get it first and as Moderators finding the time stamp and merging or deleing multiples happened frequently.

The issue now is a lot of what if topics about players that are Hypothetical all over the place and get off topic really fast, having the actual news to discuss kept things more focused.

Jville

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":168zrprq said:
HawkNuts":168zrprq said:

I, too, would love to see this.

That kind of time intensive work and presentation is what I search for ......................

A forum can expose authors to cheap sometimes thoughtless attacks. Attacks that are buried in a comment section that follow an article on a blog or web site. Comments that can in fact be disabled. If we are to realize the good fortune of attracting such time demanding work, moderators and members alike would need to insist on treating their work with pointed respect.

This community and it's members could realize a lot of potential up side thru exercising the personal discipline of respecting posted subjects and staying on topic. Content is what draws members to a forum. Wandering dialogue, bickering back and forth or blaming this or that doesn't.

Seems to me that topic content and disciplined discussion is what makes community forums thrive. Each and every member has the opportunity and obligation to post subject matter that contributes to a coherent community dialogue.

Largent80

Reaction score
Quit deleting comments. WTF is wrong with this place?

Going through my comments 3 have been depleted regarding football...what in the F?

Jville

Reaction score
Largent80":3gi0nrs4 said:

Going through my comments 3 have been depleted regarding football...what in the F?

:177692: Relax ...... nobody is picking on you.

It appears we went thru an outage today. Lost during the recovery were many of the most recent posts. Heck, I had an entire thread disappear.

EDIT: Lost posts appear to have been posted from sometime around 3:00 am thru about 3:00 pm on 2/28/2020. I'm just glad the forum is back on line.

Hawknight

Reaction score
chris98251":18zqvj4j said:
AgentDib":18zqvj4j said:

We used to be the go to place for Seahawks news, members would find stories and post and get the link and discussions happened. It wasn't rumors, those were frowned upon, people felt it was an accomplishment to get it first and as Moderators finding the time stamp and merging or deleing multiples happened frequently.

The issue now is a lot of what if topics about players that are Hypothetical all over the place and get off topic really fast, having the actual news to discuss kept things more focused.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I also miss the analysis that a few regular writers would each week on the X and O's of the games each week, the salary caps issues, the players and insight on who we could target during the off season. Just plain good reads.

I still love this place, even with the negativity that goes around at times, you just learn to filter it out and disregard.

Wen, I don't know you, but I do appreciate and respect the fact that you took the initiative to keep this place alive for all of us and I know it takes money to run. I don't see you as a money grabbing S.O.B. at all, after all, when it comes down to it, it's a business as well, even though it's behind the scenes.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I miss the old days, it's true, I do. Lot of faces that I once knew or interacted with have seemed to have disappeared. In saying that, I do look forward to interacting with many new people who I see around here and I will try to provide some positive insight and opinions, whenever possible.

I've always seen this forum as a one of kind place and I truly appreciate all of it. It's surrounded with the one thing we all love....Seahawks football. To me personally, there is no other forum and I hope this ones remains for years to come.

That is all...I've said my peace....regards...

sutz

Reaction score
Jville":25797cif said:
Largent80":25797cif said:

It appears we went thru an outage today. Lost during the recovery were many of the most recent posts. Heck, I had an entire thread disappear.

EDIT: Lost posts appear to have been posted from sometime around 3:00 am thru about 3:00 pm on 2/28/2020. I'm just glad the forum is back on line.
Yeah, that's getting a little annoying. 2d or 3d time in a month or so. Seeing whole threads gutted suddenly is kind of disheartening. I hope the PTB are looking into it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Server issues are definitely one of the primary issues I would like to see resolved personally.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Jville":28tv3wrj said:
Largent80":28tv3wrj said:

Respectfully, I suggest that it'd be good if database backups are made say every four hours. I have noticed in this outage and in the one a couple days ago that posts are lost for at least a 12 hour period, and an incremental at least might preserve more data.

chris98251

Reaction score
Never used to have outages of this nature as frequently as we do, once in a while yes but seems to happen more often over the last year, even after the new server move.

Northhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":15rosiq5 said:
There's much bigger forces at work here, and I don't think there's such thing as a phpBB that is what it used to be.

Looking on Wayback it looks like this site went live in March of 2000, which sounds about right in terms of timelines.

Every phpBB in existence is in a variable stage of decline, because there's just not cohort replacement: as older fans defect as part of a normal process, there's not younger fans who are replacing them on the phpBB medium, as they're adopting across fragmented channels like Reddit, Facebook, and increasingly twitter, non of which competed with phpBB's for attention during the heyday of them.

This place probably got a little bit of a reprieve because of the influx of bandwagon support in 2012, but now that it's passed, it's becoming the same thing as all phpBBs: year after year a slightly smaller community of very active posters, without less very active new user posters signing up. You can even see this at the bottom of any phpBB you visit, as you can virtually guarantee that if they've been around 10+ years for years now with each passing year they're another year farther away from when they had their most active visitors on the site at one time.

All to say that I don't think it's definitionally impossible to slow that natural decline, but reversing it is hoping for too much.

+1 I've been here since the first iteration of the board and posted lots then. I still come here occasionally but there are other channels that are more mobile friendly and that's probably the biggest drain of visitors. Most social is on mobile and tapatalk is clunky and difficult.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'm on Reddit, Twitter and sometimes FB. Those platforms are stable BUT controlled by SJW overlords who at any time could delete anything they feel offensive regardless of how the owner or the mods think. They can even delete whole groups.

This is why I prefer legacy boards like this one--it is because I know Wen and the mods that Wen trusts have the ultimate control over this place, not some anonymous censoring force.

I am glad that Wen has taken a more moderate approach to the post PWR-era including a thread devoted to current events and political discussion. We are all Seahawks fans here, but the concerns over us especially this year weigh heavy. It is nice to have a place to discuss this in at least a semi-serious way without worrying about offending some anonymous overlord.

Reaction score
I once was kicked off .net for saying Djack was going to sanfran. The moderator posted your starting rumors and kicked me off. Day later Djack went to the 49ers it took me years to start a new account. Back in the day they kicked off a lot of people. Seems like it is a little more for giving now a days which I appreciate.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":3ewpl9ln said:
I once was kicked off .net for saying Djack was going to sanfran. The moderator posted your starting rumors and kicked me off. Day later Djack went to the 49ers it took me years to start a new account. Back in the day they kicked off a lot of people. Seems like it is a little more for giving now a days which I appreciate.

That's wild. We and SF BOTH poach each other's practice squads pretty heavily (S Adrian Colbert just one example). We go after each other's FAs or recents, i.e. Sherm, Iupati. We can hate them as fans but fact is that from a FO/coach point of view, playing or having played for the other team is largely an advantage.

Clowney's an FA. Yes there have been rumors, 9er fans saying "let's go get him." I doubt they will, but then again he's an FA.

It's an improvement that we do not, hopefully, have to deal with mod decisions like this in current year.