What is the real difference between Willson and Graham?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Route running is the biggest difference to me. Willson has extremely stiff hips. So much so that it limits his available route tree. Willson's bread and butter is catching seams, comebacks, and the occasional slant. Jimmy has the versatility to do much more; out routes, posts, hitches, slants, fades, etc. Jimmy is just a superior pass catcher in all aspects.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Could Willson or Helfit make that jump ball catch that Jimmy made yesterday?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Graham was steadily becoming the safety valve on 3rd down that has been sorely lacking in this offense. Even without the TD production, his play on 3rd down was almost making him worth the price of admission alone. He was on his way to 800+ yards and a similar % share of touches that he was getting in New Orleans. Ultimately, I think he will be badly missed.

Willson's about the least athletic 4.5/40 guy you'll ever see. And for a big guy, his catch radius seems shockingly small. That said, he's solid enough as a pass catcher and has some YAC ability that really sets him apart from other conventional TEs. Right now, he and maybe P-Rich hold the fate of this offense in their hands (along w/ the OL, of course).

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
I realize there are many differences. The one CodeWarrior pointed out made me imagine Luke being split out as a WR. Which made me laugh. Cant see them using him that way. My hope is that Luke can pick up 70% of what Jimmy brought to the offense and Kearse, Baldwin and Lockett can get the rest. I think there's a good chance of that if the Oline continues to get better.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Graham is a beast! Physically not as much as Gronk, but still a beast! I think Graham has great route running skills. That's why he was able to catch so many passes from Brees. Brees said I'll throw it here, you just make sure you get there.

Willson hasn't made a name for himself yet. We don't really know what Willson's game is until he gets more targets. Or maybe we already know what his game is cause he hasn't gotten as many looks yet?

I am upset Graham went down. I've always liked Graham even when he was a Saint. And I wanted to see him in the playoffs with the Hawks.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Graham:
- much better hands (elite or borderline elite)
- better catch radius

Willson
- faster on med to long routes
- better blocker
- knows offense better (for now)

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Speed-wise, Willson can flat out fly and probably beat Graham in a footrace. His blocking is far superior to Graham as well. What has made Graham so special over the years are all the things others have mentioned (jump ball ability, route running, hands, etc.). This season I've seen far more drops by Graham than all the years he was a Saint.

The biggest knock on Willson that I've consistently seen over time (and that has driven me absolutely crazy) is that if he has to make a contested catch, 9 times out of 10 he doesn't. If he can get the ball in wide open space -- he can run amok and really make things happen. However, if he has to go up for a big 3rd down at the same time the FS rocks his world -- most times that ball falls to the turf and we punt. Throughout the course of his career, Graham historically makes those catches. Willson -- not so much.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":swp1rhaz said:
Graham is a beast! Physically not as much as Gronk, but still a beast! I think Graham has great route running skills. That's why he was able to catch so many passes from Brees. Brees said I'll throw it here, you just make sure you get there.

Willson hasn't made a name for himself yet. We don't really know what Willson's game is until he gets more targets. Or maybe we already know what his game is cause he hasn't gotten as many looks yet?

I am upset Graham went down. I've always liked Graham even when he was a Saint. And I wanted to see him in the playoffs with the Hawks.

Even in a cast...you can watch him be paid!! :roll:

kobebryant

Reaction score
From my eye test:

Luck gets off the line much quicker, is faster and is better at hitting targets as a blocker.

Jimmy is better in traffic, has a better catch radius, and better body control.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
hawknation2015":262qmbrd said:
Willson's hands have improved a lot this year. He was being underutilized by Bevell.

While past years' were obvious, I can't come up with a flat-out drop by Willson yet this year.
Anyone?

Willyeye

Reaction score
Alexander":3h9pmai2 said:
McGruff":3h9pmai2 said:
StoneCold":3h9pmai2 said:
I think it's just hands. Jimmy has great hands. Willson? From what we've seen he can be a bit ham handed.

Why am I an idiot?

Jimmy Has not demonstrated great hands this season. Not by a long shot. Lots of drops and many bobbles.

Couldn't disagree more. Jimmy's soft hands have been a revelation this year after two years of watching Willson's stone hands. (To be fair to Willson, I think he's improved in that area.) Jimmy had one bad game against Arizona but otherwise he's been phenomenal at hauling in passes his way.

According to the link below, he only has one dropped pass this year. That actually seems a bit low to me, as I thought I remembered several passes in the Arizona game he should have hauled in. I think many of those were well-contested at the catch point by whoever was covering him, so they probably count as passes defended rather than drops.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

Oddly enough, Kearse, Willson and Fred Jackson are on your list as having ZERO drops. The rest of the receivers only have one each. That puts our receiver group with fewer drops than most teams.