What it will take to fix it.

mrt144

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2asiimyv said:
brimsalabim":2asiimyv said:
We have a lot of guys on both sides of the ball that suddenly don't seem to understand what their responsibilities are on a given play. On offense it's mainly on the line. On defense you might have a point with the blitzing I don't know. Our guys are experienced and used to be known for their Comunications amongst them selves as a cohesive unit. What ever happend to cause it that comunication is lacking this season.
1. New defensive coordinator that has never had this role. Inexperienced.
2. If your resources are devoted to the defense, quarterback, running back and tight end, what's left for the offensive line?
It's kinda like, you get the left overs and Tom Cable has to try and turn that into a 5 star meal.
3. An offensive coordinator might only want to call simple plays outta fear his lineman cannot sustain their blocks.

@3.

that's no really a solution to the problem - mostly because its the length of play development is causing breakdowns in blocking. The simplicity isn't helpful. I'm harping on this all day but calling a 3 yard out to JFG with perfect execution on a 3rd and 5 is simple and keeps pressure from getting to RW who can easily make the pitch and JFG who can make the catch it's just the 2 yards short of the goddamn 1st down.

ADB was in the backfield on that play (unless I'm crazy about which play that was, might be the case haha)

We score on a ridiculous trick play because Ricardo was able to make a play on it. RW couldn't have made that an uncontested throw in stride, it really came down to Ricardo making a play.

The plays aren't simple, they're just ineffective. Nevermind the running game sucking the life out of the game. But seriously JFG bubble screen was another "Why are you doing this?" especially when we then see some great slants and posts where RW hits him, not only that but the improvised play too.

Reaction score
brimsalabim":cgzf8wub said:
First of all Pete has to acknowledge that there is actually a problem to fix. That is always the first step in the process.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner folks. At the end of the day the way this team is playing on both sides of the ball the blame has to be place on Pete. I think hes a good coach but even the mighty Pete can get better. Always compete!

Fade

Reaction score
Pete Carroll has to go get top notch Offensive & Defensive Coordinators. Seattle has been getting out schemed / out coached for a while now, it has been a pattern that is painfully obvious. The players are sick of it, and it is in their body language.

The team is 5-1, 4-2 at worst with avg coaching right now. Instead 1-5 (2-4 thx to MNF fiasco.)
This is Dennis Erickson level stuff right here.

John Schneider, and his scouts pick the O-Lineman going forward. Tom Cable is just a coach from now on.

Everything will fall into it's right place with these 2 simple changes.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I guess first and foremost it comes down to what kind of identity we want our team to be.

A) Do we want them to try to duplicate the formula that has succeeded the last 3 years, thereby rocking it on defense, keeping the opposition off the scoreboard, and employing a more conservative offense that preferably runs the ball, with the highest importance being placed on ball possession and field position? For this to succeed, we have to win in the turnover department. It's what has worked and what we're built for.

B) Or do we scrap that ploy, get risky and open things up a little more? It would likely produce more points, but in return allow our opponents more scoring opportunities. Think of that Packers/Chargers game down the stretch today. High point numbers, but minimal defense.

It almost seems to me that we're in somewhat of a transition from A to B and when you're in a transition, you have growing pains. Like today, we came out chucking the ball from the get-go. Last year, we'd keep grinding, grinding, grinding with the run and then lo and behold, by the fourth quarter we'd be pushing our opponents all over the place and Marshawn would be spinning up huge chucks of yardage.

Defensively, its' gotten to the point where we're expecting something bad to happen instead of being in attack mode for 60. Hell, we used to count on points coming from our defense. Yes, they've scored this year, but I just feel that same brashness like I did a year ago. And I'm not even in the house. I'd like to know what the mood is when you're in the CLink. Is it palpable?

As Earl said: "We don't suck!" I'm looking forward to getting our biggest rival on Thursday. Hey, if we can't get our heart thumping for that game, we're not going anywhere this year. Those boys must be crushed!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":vcqe6z0k said:
A qb who actually plays like a $22 million rather than like a $1 million qb.
And you forgot to add, some negative sniveling Seahawks fans that don't make a habit of talking out their asses. :roll:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2my93t6e said:
It's different when you get paid. Whether fans want to realize that or not. The mindset isn't the same. You got your ring. You're not as "hungry" as you once were. The team isn't as young as they once were and out to prove themselves. I think the "core" group no longer has a desire to prove themselves and playing 110 percent every time maybe a thing of the past.

Really? :34853_doh:

Davidess

Reaction score
I honestly believe going into next year (if this year is to be considered lost) that getting upgrading Oline has to be a priority.

Pete and John cant really believe that drafting/signing D-lineman and converting them is the answer.
Honestly I think if you could put higher draft capitol into your Oline we could see improvement but then again I don't know if I really thought the Oline played bad today. yeah they got some sacks but that comes from a couple things I think and here they are:

1. Long developing plays- RW has to sit in the pocket and wait basically and if his guys aren't open he has to take off. knowing where his protection is key. I don't care what Oline you have, they aren't going to protect for 4/5 seconds on every play.
2. Stagnant pocket- Bevell needs to move the pocket and get it so RW can get to the point where he is in that double threat of passing or running.
3.Deep drop backs- It doesn't happen all the time but it happens quite a bit but RW takes long drop backs which basically makes it easier for ends to come around the edge. widening their turn making it easier. I understand why he does this and its because (just like brees) he cant see over the line so well sometimes.

I don't think Bevell will be fired or replaced this season. I just don't see it. What I can see though and maybe this offseason Pete possibly bringing in Sark not as a play caller right away but someone to help with it. almost like an advisor kind of like mangini in SF. Just an idea and I can see it happening because of how close him and pete are. Pete is all for giving second chances and I cant think that Sark would be coming back to CFB.

Thank you for your time and sorry if this sounds dumb or incoherent but I am working an overnight shift at a mental health facility so bare with me. haha thanks and GO HAWKS!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1obpi5r6 said:
My theory is, players are playing just to play cause they are under a contract.

Most have gotten paid.

Most have gotten a ring.

Most were playing to get two rings but when the coaches made the worst call in professional sports history, the players decided why should they put their everything into these games anymore?

I think many felt cheated and still do, losing that second ring.

They don't want to put their bodies and minds in harms way any longer. I mean for who?!

They play cause their contracted but no desire to win for an inept coaching staff that cost them a second ring.

This is just a theory of mine.

It's different when you get paid. Whether fans want to realize that or not. The mindset isn't the same. You got your ring. You're not as "hungry" as you once were. The team isn't as young as they once were and out to prove themselves. I think the "core" group no longer has a desire to prove themselves and playing 110 percent every time maybe a thing of the past.

I flat out disagree with this whole post.

There is little objective evidence that any of it is true.

The thesis here is once you are successful as a player and get paid you don't want to lay it on the the line anymore and thus become unsuccessful thereby justifying not being paid any more.

Alternatively b/c our blockhead OC called a dumb play in XLIX costing the game, the boys don't want to play here anymore.

Right, sure, OK, whatever.

What nonsense!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Davidess":lftbs802 said:
I honestly believe going into next year (if this year is to be considered lost) that getting upgrading Oline has to be a priority.

Pete and John cant really believe that drafting/signing D-lineman and converting them is the answer.
Honestly I think if you could put higher draft capitol into your Oline we could see improvement but then again I don't know if I really thought the Oline played bad today. yeah they got some sacks but that comes from a couple things I think and here they are:

1. Long developing plays- RW has to sit in the pocket and wait basically and if his guys aren't open he has to take off. knowing where his protection is key. I don't care what Oline you have, they aren't going to protect for 4/5 seconds on every play.
2. Stagnant pocket- Bevell needs to move the pocket and get it so RW can get to the point where he is in that double threat of passing or running.
3.Deep drop backs- It doesn't happen all the time but it happens quite a bit but RW takes long drop backs which basically makes it easier for ends to come around the edge. widening their turn making it easier. I understand why he does this and its because (just like brees) he cant see over the line so well sometimes.

I don't think Bevell will be fired or replaced this season. I just don't see it. What I can see though and maybe this offseason Pete possibly bringing in Sark not as a play caller right away but someone to help with it. almost like an advisor kind of like mangini in SF. Just an idea and I can see it happening because of how close him and pete are. Pete is all for giving second chances and I cant think that Sark would be coming back to CFB.

Thank you for your time and sorry if this sounds dumb or incoherent but I am working an overnight shift at a mental health facility so bare with me. haha thanks and GO HAWKS!
Good constructive post Davidess. Hey, how would you suggest moving the pocket to take advantage of Russ's play-aciton abilities? And can our line handle that type of chore, which seems like an advanced maneuver to me and we're bailing water out of sinking boat most of the time as it is.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At first you start with the quicker developing plays, then you look to taking advantage of mismatches if they can be found. Our OC is not good at either. To me at present the O that works is when Wilson moves out of the pocket, b/c everything Bevell apparently schemes takes too long to develop, so RW runs out of time in the pocket. Our 4th Q o today was yet again, flat out awful.

Either the above as a start or acquire a few interior OLinemen that can actually run block, and the team then runs constantly and abandons a pocket passing game, b/c the plays being called don't allow enough pass protection to Wilson or he can't target the WRs b/c he cannot see them.

The changes aren't many but 1 first down in the 4th Q is a recipe for overloading the D and we have seen the result in 5 the 6 games so far. The O totally fails the D and the D is overwhelmed. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I personally thought the O played OK for 3 quarters again but the reverted to it's scripted fail pattern.

If Bevell can't design plays to suit what we presently have to use then he really does need to move on.

The team has the personnel here already to win but the coaching staff need to use it better. They need to admit they are the cause for the failures.

On Monday one of the first things I think they need to look at are these TE seam plays which are kicking their heinies. For two seasons now the team has been critically vulnerable to them and can't stop them.

The team is not getting beat by much but their 4th Q O has been a constant culprit contibuting significantly to their late collapses. The D relies on the O being at least somewhat capable in the 4th Q.

Davidess

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1xrsh1da said:
Davidess":1xrsh1da said:

Good constructive post Davidess. Hey, how would you suggest moving the pocket to take advantage of Russ's play-aciton abilities? And can our line handle that type of chore, which seems like an advanced maneuver to me and we're bailing water out of sinking boat most of the time as it is.

Honestly I think using play action off the run or even sliding protection almost leaving an unblocked defender with Wilson doing a sprint out. the nice thing is I think our Oline could. the one thing our oline has is athleticism and ability to move with ease. I think it could be possible but I doubt it will be done..feel like the hawks are doing what the Niners did to Kaepernick last year. making him a passer not having him keep on the read option.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Another good post!

Combining a quicker passing game with some sliding protection would increase the team's productivity. However Bevellwould not be able to run his O with that as the plan. Either because he could figure out how to do it or he couldn't design faster hitting pass plays.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I agree with your above observation the Hawks seem to be wanting to force RW away from the RO.

Maybe with the sacks he is taking getting hit more often with the RO is something they would like to minimize.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":py495qem said:
Kearse had zero catches today on three targets. Lockett or Richardson should replace him as #2 WR
On all three of those throws he beat his defender, and Wilson just missed him. Kearse is actually playing decent football this season.