What The Thurmond...

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Lets finally put this thing to rest... .com style:

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...-healthy/7be3ce6f-bc52-4815-ade8-7365f2c3b446

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound Thurmond remains a valuable commodity, because of his athletic skills and ability to shift almost seamlessly from cornerback to nickel back, and back again – which he did Monday, when he worked as the nickel back with the No. 1 defense and played right cornerback with the No. 2 unit.

Sherman labeled Thurmond “a great corner,” and then added, “Thurm is a starting-caliber corner in this league, probably a Pro Bowl-caliber corner. I think the only reason he’s not is because he’s got two Pro Bowl corners ahead of him.”

That and the injuries that have limited Thurmond the past four seasons

-The Glove-

Reaction score
As I said in another thread...the very little I have seen of him on the field, I too believe he could be a great corner. Hopefully his health finally holds up

DeletedAccount

Reaction score
May sound crazy but based on what I've seen when he's on the field. Thurmond is our best CB.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Thurmond is a REALLY good CB, and it's a shame he can't stay on the field.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I really, really, really hope Thurmond stays healthy this entire year and we can fully see what he's got. Granted, that will hurt our price/ability to re-sign him, but I'd rather him be successful than not.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
If he can just be healthy he would be the perfect replacement for Winfield next year after he gets his ring and retires. If I am in Seattle's secondary I would soak up any and all knowledge and tricks Winfield has. Having him even for 1 year is going to be invaluable to the LOB for the rest of their careers.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Thurmond needs to be Winfield's new padawan. I sense a great future in him.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm done rooting for this guy to get a roster spot over guys that may actually play in a couple games.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I'm a great baseball player, but I'm also 39 and dying. So Raul Ibanez doesn't have to worry about me taking his spot. WTIII is an extremely talented guy. I've seen him play in college and the pros. But I've also seen him blow his knee up in college and hurt every possible part of his body in the pros.

I'd love to see him put on a show this preseason and be shopped for a pick. Horrible, I know. But we have good corners, and his most value may be in a trade to a team that is wowed by him and desperately needs a corner (a la Josh Wilson).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Earl Thomas was on KJR a few days ago and said Water Thurmond was doing great at OTAs and was going to push for that starting nickel spot. Also called Thurmond a "first round talent." He singled him out when asked who has caught his eye in OTAs thus far. Sounded incredibly high on him.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Really wish Thurmond could shake the injury bug as he would be a great CB if he could.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2p52grwl said:
Earl Thomas was on KJR a few days ago and said Water Thurmond was doing great at OTAs and was going to push for that starting nickel spot. Also called Thurmond a "first round talent." He singled him out when asked who has caught his eye in OTAs thus far. Sounded incredibly high on him.

Eggzachary. < still funny after all these years. Burp. A healthy T3 as he has shown (see Giants 11' and Cards last year, tipped pass to fitzgerald with the BWagz return for 40 to the 25. If he can stay/be healthy, I don't see Winfield neccesarily winning the slot.

Either way, there's some serious depth.

quadsas

Reaction score
Ive always been high on this guy, not only he is athletic, he is not a knuckle head either. Remember Wagner INT when he knocked ball inthe air so others can pick it up. if he does stay healthy, I espect too see some interestnig formations including all four CBs.

uncle fester

Reaction score
It'd be great to finally get a full season out of him to see what he's really capable of. Let's hope it's this one.

Waterhawk1

Reaction score
First of all it is t-shirts and shorts. Wait till the real hitting comes around at camp to see if this guy can stay healthy. I am still holding my breath, but hope he does, because he will certainly be a nice piece to our defensive backfield depth.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I have high hopes for Thurmond this year, in spite of the injuries. The broken leg in 2011 was a freak thing. The hamstring situation from last season is probably more concerning.

Beyond this season, I think this board has way too much confidence in the Seahawks' cornerback situation.

Browner is a FA after this year (and he'll be about 30 when he is an UFA).
Sherman is a FA after 2014.
Winfield is a FA after this year, and will be 37 before the start of the 2014 regular season.
Lane has loads of potential but isn't really proven.
Simon has potential, but hasn't proven anything.
Shead and Parker are longshots.
Maxwell's never looked like much more than a special teams guy.
Ditto Blackmon.

Having Thurmond step up and stay healthy, proving himself worthy of an extension, could go a long way in securing the position over the next few years. He'll turn 26 this season, so there's still time. And he's looked really, really good in his time on the field.

A

Anonymous

Provided Thurm is healthy, I say he gives Winfield a reason to work hard at camp.

Last time I checked, Sherman is a mouthy one, but rarely does he say anything he can't back up on the spot. If he had those things to say about his teammate, I take it as a solid assessment on Thurman's capabilities.

Shame the stat pages can't document that talent.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I think Lane has proved plenty. To say he hasn't really proven anything is kind of silly, when in the same thread people are saying Thurmond is a pro bowler in the making.

Lane played fantastically at special teams, but then came in at corner/nickel and was outstanding. I'll take Lane's potential over Thurmond's for one reason. The guy has actually played an entire NFL season and looked good doing it... in fact he looked better and better each week, which is EXTREMELY rare for NFL CB's (with the exception of Richard Sherman).

Now if you could give Thurmond Lane's luck in the health department and ability to stay on the field as a brilliant special teamer, and a third CB, then you'd really have something special. But I'd prefer a guy who is consistently good over a guy who is great for 3 quarters per year.