What will Roger do in wake of Hernandez?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":b98ck2i5 said:
I would guess that close to 30 maybe 40 percent of players have had associations or a checkered past of sorts, if you blanket statement that you are ineligible for the NFL if you have any felony convictions, drug convictions, or physical altercations, or domestic violence, how many players would we have in the league.

One thing is, if Hernandez is found not guilty how big is the lawsuit he files against the Patriots, Kraft and the NFL going to be.

At least the Ravens hedged thier bets with Lewis able to go what ever way needed. Supporting him in the public as a team mate but admonishing the situation and supporting the victems of the tragedy.
Ray Lewis's situation never compared to Hernandez's everyone knew it that within minutes, heck it only took the media to fully realize that in a day or two and they knew the vetted truth in hours.

The Radish

Reaction score
Roland makes a good point in that when you sign on with the NFL you agree to be policed by them and to abide by what ever rules they want to apply. As I recall players are clearly told this when they sign contracts.

Its much like the situation with Disney World. They have their own fire and police departments seperate from Orlando or Kissimmee whichever you wish to call them. Like the NFL they handle all problems in house unless they ask for outside help or in a case like Hernandez that happens off the field of play so to speak.

And this and the Lewis thing are worlds apart. I've beat the drum about Ray Lewis for years because by his actions he allowed a couple of murderers to go free but was not involved directly in the crime before. All he did was give a pair of his friends he thought were in danger a ride away from the place.

With Hernandez just via news information it appears he may have offed a guy a while ago and when threatened with exposure he offed a guy that was talking about it to others.

The NFL can't do much of anything until various legal departments have finished their cases same as anyone off the streets.

I'm curious about teams being able to take back the moneys advanced to players in this situation. I've never thought that was fair but must be dealt with in either player contracts or the CBA. If a company hired you fair and square, gave you a cash advance advance in lieu of salary the first couple of years and then 2 years later you got in trouble with the law what right do they have asking for that money back? But that is exactly what the Patriots are trying to do, or will do.

Has to be covered in your contract somehow.

:les:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I think everyone that wants to speak on this topic should read the entire CBA. I did, it's actually fairly interesting for what it is, and it's not all hard-to-interpret legalese.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResou ... marked.pdf

It's kind of lengthy, (300 pages) I spent a few nights doing it, (this was a couple months ago) but it's definitely informative. Also, here's an actual boilerplate standard NFL contract: http://louridas.net/products/sports-age ... ntract.pdf

I've read that plenty of stuff gets added to the contracts, obviously; but I was surprised that the default one is only 4 pages. It seems like a job as important/awesome as being an NFL player would have a ridiculously wordy contract by default. :229031_shrug:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
They are only trying to get back the 3.9 million or near enough in guaranteed money that HASN'T been paid out yet. That's fair imo Les.:)

Latest posts