What would you think about Jon Gruden as Pete's replacement?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2b9w3935 said:
IMO, Seattle would be best served to forge in a new direction with a coach who has the credentials to fully implement his own program day one. Much like Pete was able to do when he came on board. Of course I hope that day is many years in the future. It's just I think it'll be near impossible to find a coach familiar with Pete's system that has the requisite force of personality to implement it at a high level.

It depends on the state of the team at the time.

If Pete's last year we go 5-11? Then yes, I agree with you it's time to go in a different direction with the coach and philosophy.

But that wasn't part of the OP's original question, so I assume if we're replacing Pete it's his decision to retire on top and the team's still one of the elite teams in the NFL as we are now.

So if that's the case? Then I don't want this success train derailed by Gruden and an entire new staff, schemes and philosophies on both sides of the ball. I want continuity, and that means a Pete disciple.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":314475ln said:
Not trolling: If PC retires while the team is still dominating the division, the next Seahawks coach will be Tom Cable.

Sorry to break that bad news. ;)
Sadly, you are likely correct we would be stuck with Cable in that situation.
:(

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yep. 100% my read on it too.

And in the case of a transition like that, the position is going to the assistant head coach Tom Cable, who despite all of his coaching and ethical failings, has also already been a head coach before.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1uibkjrn said:
Attyla the Hawk":1uibkjrn said:
IMO, Seattle would be best served to forge in a new direction with a coach who has the credentials to fully implement his own program day one. Much like Pete was able to do when he came on board. Of course I hope that day is many years in the future. It's just I think it'll be near impossible to find a coach familiar with Pete's system that has the requisite force of personality to implement it at a high level.

It depends on the state of the team at the time.

If Pete's last year we go 5-11? Then yes, I agree with you it's time to go in a different direction with the coach and philosophy.

But that wasn't part of the OP's original question, so I assume if we're replacing Pete it's his decision to retire on top and the team's still one of the elite teams in the NFL as we are now.

So if that's the case? Then I don't want this success train derailed by Gruden and an entire new staff, schemes and philosophies on both sides of the ball. I want continuity, and that means a Pete disciple.
Gotta say I disagree strongly. All of the concerns Attyla mentioned are there, possibly even stronger, in the retire on top situation. Continuity of system and attempted replication of style are pretty much ways to guarantee falling off and likely in a way that hinders bouncing back. Adaptation is the only way to continue success in the modern NFL, even within a coaching regime.
Who exactly would be able to "maintain" things as continuation of Pete's system?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
If Seattle has a another lackluster season (by former Pete/Seahawk standards) this is his last season IMO.

Pete will announce it as his decision, but the feeling will be mutual.

If we win baby win - then Pete gets to decide if and when for real...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
purpleneer":psu0vu3v said:
Who exactly would be able to "maintain" things as continuation of Pete's system?

Depends on when it happens.

But there are many Carroll disciples out there that could keep this train rolling if he were to retire. Quinn, Sark, Manuel, Cable, Saleh, Bradley, Norton Jr, Bevell, Richard.

I have no idea why everyone's all over Gruden's jock, there'd be many other coaches (college and pro) and coordinators that I'd be far more interested in than a guy who hasn't been in the league for almost a decade now.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Popeyejones":kzreb8m2 said:
Not trolling: If PC retires while the team is still dominating the division, the next Seahawks coach will be Tom Cable.

This is probably closer to the truth than most (around here) want to admit.
The key is "still dominating"

HawkGA

Reaction score
pmedic920":chollmli said:
Popeyejones":chollmli said:

This is probably closer to the truth than most (around here) want to admit.
The key is "still dominating"

If the retirement were to come sooner rather than later, I could see Kris Richard getting it. But since I expect he'll get a head coaching gig at some point then I suspect Cable is the most likely to still be around.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Figure Pete will retire in about.. 3-4 years.

Jon Gruden last coached in 2008. If Pete retired after the 2020-21 season, you really would want to hire a guy that hasn't coached in 13 years..?

Gruden will never return to coaching. He will live the John Madden like broadcasting life for at least the next decade.

My dark horse Pete Carroll retirement replacement is Jim Harbaugh btw.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":14nnqvzm said:
Sports Hernia":14nnqvzm said:
I wouldn't be against it, but ONLY when Pete retires. Wouldn't mind him being hired NOW as an offensive coach, but I'm sure he only wants a HC'ing gig.
He may be humble enough to come back for his first year as an assistant head coach and OC or something, to acclimate himself to pro coaching again. Not likely, but a possibility.

There is literally no chance this happens.

For one, this would be like Mora/Holmgren all over again. And we all remember what a sh** show that became.

Another.. Pete makes roughly $7M a year. Gruden at ESPN? $6.5M

Jon Gruden makes roughly as much as Pete Carroll does - commentating football. There's absolutely no way he agrees to be an assistant HC/offensive coordinator/whatever else job title they'd have to slap on him to leave that. And hell, I'm not sure Gruden would even consider a comeback without a VP of Ops or GM label included.

Long story short, I just can't see how Gruden will come back when he's been out of coaching for a decade now and is making the same salary as the 2nd best coach in the NFL right now.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":boax0bj8 said:
purpleneer":boax0bj8 said:

But there are many Carroll disciples out there that could keep this train rolling if he were to retire. Quinn, Sark, Manuel, Cable, Saleh, Bradley, Norton Jr, Bevell, Richard.

I have no idea why everyone's all over Gruden's jock, there'd be many other coaches (college and pro) and coordinators that I'd be far more interested in than a guy who hasn't been in the league for almost a decade now.
Just my opinion here (I think it's plenty supported by history), but hiring one of those guys and saying stick to the same blueprint is a recipe to go downhill hard. How much do we need to see every single system eventually fail? How long do we need to see Bellichick continue to succeed by adapting and understanding that no system will sustainably beat everyone? I like Gruden, but I do agree that he is pretty overrated and would be a poor choice.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I hope PC coaches for years in the future. But whoever comes in after better understand JS is a HOF GM, and the overlord of personel decision. HC input not withstanding.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
My hope is that this topic does not need to be revisited for another 5 or 6 years. And when that time comes, and I'll say I'm not usually one in favour of nepotism but..... Isn't there a Carroll Jr in the wings?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
purpleneer":3uanqn5f said:
Sgt. Largent":3uanqn5f said:
purpleneer":3uanqn5f said:

Just my opinion here (I think it's plenty supported by history), but hiring one of those guys and saying stick to the same blueprint is a recipe to go downhill hard. How much do we need to see every single system eventually fail? How long do we need to see Bellichick continue to succeed by adapting and understanding that no system will sustainably beat everyone? I like Gruden, but I do agree that he is pretty overrated and would be a poor choice.

Since you brought up Belichick, I can GUARANTEE you if he retired next year the Kraft would pull a hamstring promoting Josh McDaniels or Matt Patricia.

Why? Because if it ain't broke, you don't fix it. You keep the winning train rolling.

Same thing here, if Pete retires you promote or hire a Carroll disciple who isn't going to come in and make drastic changes that might hurt the continuity.

Look back on all the successful coaches retiring after long tenures with their organizations, and most of the time the next coach was an assistant, or somewhere in that coaching tree.