What's Up With Trent Dilfer?

IndianaHawkFan3

Reaction score
Jimmyb3..... you are correct.... I live in Indiana and went to the Colts game ( our only loss thank you? ). And after the game the only "Bad" comments from happy over zealous Colts fans was them yelling "Pete Carroll sucks" ? Nothing about the Seahawks, or Wilson, or Lynch. But a few colts fans yelling that "Pete Carroll Sucks" That is the best they could come up with. I believe it is from those 10 years of USC beating everyone and especially Notre Dame for 10 straight years! Dilfer? LIke a good movie you always have to have a villian to root against.... keeps you on your toes! "Go Hawks"

tdigitee

Reaction score
Polaris":2w434jxh said:
tdlabrie":2w434jxh said:
Man, that guy is soooooo negative about the Hawks! Not because he picked the Saints last night, lots of people did, but because he always talks down about us in a mean, negative, hostile way. It's so bad and so unprofessional, it's a wonder ESPN doesn't boot him.

So did we screw him over when he was here or what?

I think it's a combination of several things:

1) He was never able to consistantly be "the Man" when he played for Seattle. He got the job when Hasselbeck got injured and then lost it again and never got it back. He then asked to be traded just before the 2005 season so he could "have a shot at being a starter" and blew it....and so lost out on his best chance for another ring. He then wound up being San Fran's backup for many years. I think how that went down still rankles a bit.

2) Apparently he and Matt (Hasselbeck) were best friends. From what I understand, the breakup between Hasselbeck and the Seahawks was a bit more acrimonious than was ever publically admitted by either side, and I have reason to think that Dilfer blames the current coaching staff and front office of "Doing the Nasty" with Hasselbeck. The fact that Seattle found it's next franchise QB that's already eclipsed Hasselbeck (and likely will eclipse all Seattle QBs on his current pace) so soon afterwards is just added bile. Dilfer does NOT like Wilson either (at least he consistantly underrates them).

3) Near as I can tell Dilfer is a 49ners fan. Enough said.

4) Finally, in response to some of this, the Seattle fandom has started treated Dilfer fairly badly regarding him as a traitor, and IMHO Dilfer has returned fire. That seldom ends well.

I will say this: IMHO Dilfer should just come out and admit that he has issues with the Seahawks rather than being passive-aggressive about it and somehow claim "I am just being a neutral observer. I can't win" plea he's been trotting out lately. Everyone knows better.

I agree with all of these, though item 2 is the one I'd heard cited the most previously. To add a little more context:

When Dilfer was here in Seattle, his 5-year-old son died. I cannot imagine how horrible that would be, what an effect that would have. Dilfer said that Hasselbeck was the person who lifted him out of a really dark place and in some ways saved his life/made him who he is today. He absolutely loves Hasselbeck.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/24/trent-dilfer-matt-hasselbeck-saved-my-life/

Then, when Carroll and the Seahawks parted ways with Hasselbeck, Dilfer seemed to get personally offended of how it was handled, as Polaris said. That more than anything - though coupled with the other things Polaris mentioned - turned Dilfer against the Seahawks. Last night however, for whatever reason he admitted he was wrong about the Seahawks, which was good to see.

I'm not trying to defend Dilfer's acting/feeling the way he has toward the Seahawks in recent years, and I certainly have disliked a lot of what he's said, but I also feel for him and what he went through.

OrFan

Reaction score
Dildo came in here thinking that because he had a super bowl ring, that they won in spite of him, he would be "the man." He was not good enough to be the starter, then later on not even good enough to be the backup. It is pretty obvious he was, and still is mad at Seattle for not recognizing that he is one of the greatest to ever play the game, in his own mind.

Kakaww

Reaction score
I, for one, am really tired of seeing analysts openly discuss their favorite team - or pick their former team to win every game. I think that is the disadvantage of so many former player analysts. When someone comes along with objectivity it is so refreshing, but it is rare these days.

Polaris

Reaction score
Kakaww":1a94jcq8 said:
I, for one, am really tired of seeing analysts openly discuss their favorite team - or pick their former team to win every game. I think that is the disadvantage of so many former player analysts. When someone comes along with objectivity it is so refreshing, but it is rare these days.

Sure I get that....as long as the analyst is objective. I don't think Trent is, and worse I think he *thinks* he is...and is passive-aggressive about it.

Kakaww

Reaction score
Polaris":27ab5naz said:
Kakaww":27ab5naz said:

Sure I get that....as long as the analyst is objective. I don't think Trent is, and worse I think he *thinks* he is...and is passive-aggressive about it.

Definitely. He presents his opinions as objective yet they are always negative or backhanded compliments to the Hawks. He doesn't have to love this team, and he can certainly poke holes, but man does he attempt to stretch every small perceived weakness into a gaping, open wound. I think the veil of stern objectivity makes it harder to swallow.

Largent80

Reaction score
Before the game I wanted to watch some coverage, and he was saying.....have we had the wool pulled over our eyes about the Seahawk defense?....They haven't played anyone like Brees all year. I was boiling and during the game every time we made one of our many great plays on D, I was yelling, Hey Dildo, what ya got to say now?

Then after the game he acted like he never said anything of the sort.

He is a terrible announcer and I can't wait for Hass to make him backup again.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
I remember when Dilfer first came to Seattle and a lot of us called him "The Million Dollar Dildo" kind of fit the remark and name tag.... Still does! :stirthepot:

Jville

Reaction score
Built in bias is a historic feature of NFL product. It is up to each fan to take the initiative to compensate for flawed product. Complaining doesn't fix anything.

The Seahawks have had little representation at the networks over the years. Where as 49er bias at ESPN, NFL Network, ect is built in .... to the point of being overloaded with niner representation and bias.

If Arizona was the #1 49er nemesis instead of Seattle, Cardinal fans would, in all probability, be subject to similar treatment by so called national media.

Local (Seattle) coverage is superior. On game day ...... when not at Qwest Field ....... hit the mute button on the NFL televised audio and replace with excellent local radio play by play and pregame broadcasts. If we focus on those thing we contol, it makes a huge difference our enjoyment of the Seahawk experience.

Go Hawks!

godawg

Reaction score
He sure ate crow last night and came right out front about it. That was a complete apology for dissing us and RW. Lovin it.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
can anyone put together some clips of his comments and rants to shed some light on his ignorance for us who dont know

drdiags

Reaction score
Dilfer is not going to change. He ate crow yesterday but do not be surprised to see him questioning the Seahawks the next opportunity he gets. I just lump him in with others that I tend to avoid when watching or reading about the NFL. He is probably in the Jamie Dukes category of lousy, though no one is as ridiculous as Dukes.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I swear the Seahawks will win the Super Bowl and people will dwell more on what Dilder or any other analyst has to say about it. Stop being so damn insecure and sensitive and try to enjoy what we have and stop caring so much what others think.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
The main thrust of his pre-game bashing was our run D against Tampa and the St. Louis. I suppose he had a point, but it was a bit either myopic, selective or both to leave out the rebound game against AP. Further, he 's doubly ignorant for picking a Saints victory based upon that, because they have never been a ground-pound team under Payton. Finally, to ignore the effect of our secondary and the end product of our D that ranks us #2 in the league isn't very objective analysis. Steve Young jumped in Dilfer's lap for awhile, but was evasive during post game by creditting the win to our offense.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
That Dilfer tweet just pisses me off. I heard him go on and on about "how the tape tells the story" on the Hawks and their run Defense. Too bad he did not watch the tape of the Vikings and Atl game. He seemed to only watch the Bucs and Rams game and extrapolated it out to be that is the Hawks run D over all. There are plenty of Defense guys who "Seen the Tape" that came to a different conclusion.

The numbers and tape do not lie when you look at it all. When the Hawks play discipline football and tackle like they should they are a very good run defense. Mebane and Big Red are very good at stuffing the run and the have a lot of athletic guys all around. There is a reason when teams play us they know they been in brawl, this team wears people down.

I hope to keep serving some crow to him till February 2 when he will have to eat the friggen flock.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Its important to remember that these guys are told to take hard stances on things, even when they don't believe it. Thats the nature of television, especially ESPN these days. Last year Michael Irvin said something about the Seahawks that was negative, so I think 710 ESPN brought him on and asked him to explain himself, Irvin said that the producer told him to take that angle. Its all about creating dramatic and interesting television. With that said, the way Dilfer conducts himself on television really disappoints me. Both Dilfer and Harbaugh are guys I respected immensely as football players, but their personalities and actions after they have retired have really soured me on them.

Regarding Dilfer's feelings toward the Seahawks, there is a local example of this too. Hugh Millen was buddies with Jim Mora and buddies with Hasslebeck. His "analysis" was trumpeted by KJR as "objective" when in no way was it possible for Hugh Millen to be objective when he so obviously was pissed at the Seahawks organization and Pete Carroll. It's hilariously embarrassing radio.