When Joeckel gets back I'd like to see...

chris98251

Reaction score
hawxfreak":3rcmfjsq said:
With Ifedi and Aboushi taking turns on penalties I was screamin my head off but before I'd bench Ifedi I'd let Oday ride the pine and if Ifedi doesn't get the message He'd be right there with him for a few reps
It worked for Breno.

Breno's penalties were a lot due to aggression, seems like that's not the problem Ifedi has, more a lack there of.

djb28

Reaction score
I would rather see a tackling dummy in the place of Ifedi.

Hawks46

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":3111ljbq said:
Ifedi is a sophomore and a 1st round pick. It is unfair to to devalue him until he is in year 3. It took Britt 3 years.
I would like to see someone take Aboushi's job. My key word is to TAKE the job away from him.

Finally someone gets it.

This is Ifedi's first year at Tackle. I'm not saying it's going well, but for a good chunk of the season he showed progression.

Good thing some of you jokers aren't GM's. You'd draft a guy, then after 4 games of him not playing well his rookie season, you'd not only bench him, but take him out back and hit him in the knees with a hammer. Once you figured out you destroyed any value to the player, you'd then cut him.

There's a much longer list of guys in the NFL that took 2-3 years to get better than there are of guys coming in and dominating from the start.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's a bust, I agree he deserves time to improve his technique and performance. It's the penalties that are the worst part of his game. Whether it's holding or false starting, a lot of this stuff is purely mental mistakes and if being benched for a drive can give him perspective it's worth a shot I guess.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I think the increase in penalties (holds & false starts) for Ifedi are directly related to his struggles playing the tackle position at the NFL level.

Take a look at Ifedi's combine numbers: he had an explosive broad jump (109 inches) but a very slow short shuttle time (4.75 seconds). In fact, Ifedi's short shuttle at the combine was the exact same as James Carpenters' time, another college tackle who lacked the lateral agility to play the position well against outside speed rushers at the NFL level. The tape bears this out, as well.

This doesn't mean Ifedi is a bust. He has the potential to become as dominant a guard as Carpenter, and he showed flashes of explosive run blocking as a rookie playing the RG position.

Unfortunately, the Seahawks are in short supply of tackles, and Ifedi was basically forced to play out of position by necessity. Moving outside increases the likelihood that Ifedi will try to compensate for his limited lateral agility by either trying to get a jump before the snap (false start) or resort to holding once he has already been beaten around the edge by a more agile outside pass rusher.

Next season, however, the team will have two starter caliber tackles on the roster in Duane Brown and George Fant. If one of those guys can learn to play the RT position well, that would allow Ifedi to return to his more natural position at guard.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":10xyjvze said:
Ifedi is a sophomore and a 1st round pick. It is unfair to to devalue him until he is in year 3. It took Britt 3 years.
I would like to see someone take Aboushi's job. My key word is to TAKE the job away from him.

Britt wasn't committing as many penalties as Ifedi. Ifedi is leading the league or something. There's a point at which your play is immediately holding back the offense.

Aboushi is fine. Outside of two drives all year, he hasn't been a problem.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Next year's offensive line could be very good on paper, assuming everyone is healthy & Brown/Fant can hold down the tackle positions:

LT Duane Brown - former All Pro and already the best lineman on the roster protecting Russell's blindside.
LG Ethan Pocic - just needs to get stronger; his intelligence and versatility is evident.
C Justin Britt - has been steady as a rock since his 3rd year when he was named a Pro Bowl alternate.
RG Germaine Ifedi - explosive run blocker who will look much more comfortable inside in his 3rd year, a la Carpenter.
RT George Fant - biggest question mark, due to his lack of experience on the right side and injury.

I'm assuming Joeckel won't be re-signed, but that's not a safe assumption. Joeckel looked decent at LG when healthy, and his market may dry up after his latest injury, allowing the Seahawks to extend him for pennies on the dollar.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":139t7pkd said:
Ifedi is a sophomore and a 1st round pick. It is unfair to devalue him until he is in year 3. It took Britt 3 years.

I'm convinced that you can't fix "stupid"! :stirthepot:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":8r6f8vf6 said:
LudwigsDrummer":8r6f8vf6 said:

Britt wasn't committing as many penalties as Ifedi. Ifedi is leading the league or something. There's a point at which your play is immediately holding back the offense.

Aboushi is one of the lowest rated linemen in the NFL. He has allowed more pressures per snap than any other player on our roster, and has done very little positive for the running game.

Britt led the league in pressures allowed as a rookie, and then was far worse as a sophomore. People were definitely labeling Britt as a "bust" going into that 3rd year. Then he found his natural position. Remember how bad Carpenter looked at right tackle?

Seymour

Reaction score
djb28":2ad4b4q6 said:
I would rather see a tackling dummy in the place of Ifedi.

As long as we give it a different number so we can tell them apart. :2thumbs:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawknation2017":23m67mxc said:
MontanaHawk05":23m67mxc said:
LudwigsDrummer":23m67mxc said:

Aboushi is one of the lowest rated linemen in the NFL. He has allowed more pressures per snap than any other player on our roster, and has done very little positive for the running game.

I know you're down on him. Can you provide a source for that one pressure stat you mentioned? Because I'd been led to believe that Ifedi was giving up tons of pressures, too, though he isn't getting lambasted for it like Aboushi.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Blast from the past . . .

What’s the biggest difference between the offensive lineman who started that game in 2011 and the one who will start on Sunday?

“The biggest change is, I’m not playing right tackle anymore,” Carpenter said. “I’m playing left guard, so that’s totally different. And I’m just more of a physical player than I was playing right tackle.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2013/12/13 ... -carpenter

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
When Joeckel gets back, I'd like to see what that left side of the line looks like with Brown/Joeckel/Britt. Mainly I want to see if it's worth putting down good money to keep both Brown and Joeckel for 2018, while developing Pocic at RG and letting Ifedi/Fant battle out the RT position.

Would be nice to have Roos/Pocic/Odhiambo battle it out for the RG spot next year. Although I think I read somewhere that Odhiambo was limited in effectiveness as a right side OL blocker. Seattle could have some decent depth at OG. And would also have 3 OTs in Brown/Fant/Ifedi. If Joeckel shows high quality alongside Brown and is retained -- that reshapes our OL drastically heading into next year.

inda2o6

Reaction score
I think luke will help but not sure if he will right away, the rust from sitting for a month wont help. I wish the bevell would just call for a heavy package, tell the refs the lineman is elegible. Help ifedi by bringing in another guy to help ease the anxiousness that causes ifedi to false start all the time. He knows he is slow and wants to get a jump on the pass rusher. I think he's a bust as a 1st rounder, & should be a bench warmer, but they invested a high draft pick and want to show their pick wasn't wasted due to poor evaluation by their scouts(cable, ect.) I don't know who they would take out off the field, but the Seahawks need to adjust. They don't have a fullback like they used to, will tukuafu was huge and helped the offense, back when he was playing. I have some anti-anxiety meds for ifedi, it isnt very strong but it's not gonna get him popped for p.e.d.'s :)