where is the Russell Okung Extension?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RiverDog":3k7wnnty said:
MizzouHawkGal":3k7wnnty said:
You pay your LT end of story unless you like losing?

There is no urgency to resign Okung. He's under contract through this season. If he stays healthy and plays well, we can still resign him in 2015. No one is talking about letting him walk. Not signing him preserves our options and is a smart non decision.
Read my edit seems we have a similar stance on the issue.;)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tical21":3ntfe5bf said:
I'm trying out this theory that they aren't going to extend anybody this year. They're going to save as much as they can, roll it into next year, do all of their extensions next year, and throw the rollover money at some big dollar, 1-year deals.

The issue with that is the team only has one franchise tag; therefore, if you don't extend either Sherman or Thomas, you leave at least one player exposed to getting a gigantic offer from another team. If you extend at least one of them, you have your franchise tag available as a safety valve that ensures Thomas/Sherman/Wilson are together in 2015.

Personally, I think they extend both. The market for DBs has largely been set, and it's pretty palatable right now. The top-end guys are getting about $9-11M. There's no telling where the market could be next year.

RiverDog

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":29ssm7x4 said:
RiverDog":29ssm7x4 said:
MizzouHawkGal":29ssm7x4 said:
You pay your LT end of story unless you like losing?

There is no urgency to resign Okung. He's under contract through this season. If he stays healthy and plays well, we can still resign him in 2015. No one is talking about letting him walk. Not signing him preserves our options and is a smart non decision.
Read my edit seems we have a similar stance on the issue.;)

OK, understood.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
If we can get Sherman and Earl locked up, Okung would be a great candidate for the franchise tag when his deal is up. There isn't a big rush here.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkFan72":15uxrxsg said:
If we can get Sherman and Earl locked up, Okung would be a great candidate for the franchise tag when his deal is up. There isn't a big rush here.
Worked with Walter Jones. I see your reasoning and I don't really disagree.

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawkFan72":nugbrzyv said:

FT on an OL is going to be hugely expensive, bound to be $12M+ in 2015. That's not a good option for a player with Okung's injury history.

Tical21

Reaction score
DavidSeven":jwx6upai said:
Tical21":jwx6upai said:
I'm trying out this theory that they aren't going to extend anybody this year. They're going to save as much as they can, roll it into next year, do all of their extensions next year, and throw the rollover money at some big dollar, 1-year deals.

The issue with that is the team only has one franchise tag; therefore, if you don't extend either Sherman or Thomas, you leave at least one player exposed to getting a gigantic offer from another team. If you extend at least one of them, you have your franchise tag available as a safety valve that ensures Thomas/Sherman/Wilson are together in 2015.

Personally, I think they extend both. The market for DBs has largely been set, and it's pretty palatable right now. The top-end guys are getting about $9-11M. There's no telling where the market could be next year.
I'm really not concerned about that part. I don't think you risk losing either one of them if you come with the dollars, which we're obviously prepared to do. I think they both A.)want to be here, and B.) rely on and want to play with each other. Schneider sits down and says, what is it going to take to keep you here? They like each other so they bang it out, before they hit the open market. I really don't think you risk losing either one, and they want to be here that badly....unless they come to you now and really want to talk extension, and it is important to them that they get it done this year.

Would I be shocked at all if either or both are done this year? No, of course not. We have the money, lock 'em down, be done with it. At the same time, would I be shocked if Schneider is trying to be super shrewd and get all that free money, thinking he can still get them done? Nope. But he might be the only GM with the balls to try it.

Like I said, it is just a theory, and perhaps a pretty thin one, but now I can take credit for being all over it if it happens!

drdiags

Reaction score
In response to the OP regarding Wilson. They cannot extend his contract until next year, so not sure what you mean by this

I have heard of E. Thomas, R.Sherman,and R. Wilson extensions being done in the near future ...

Unless you mean over the next two years.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
jblaze":27ov18es said:
You don't extend a guy with 2 years left on his contract like he has. If we extend him, it'll be next offseason with Russell. His cap numbers are very palatable at this point for a franchise LT. He does have injury concerns but when healthy, he's very good.

Oh i didn't know Okung had two years left on his current deal.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
No worries LM.:)

You think we're rolling capspace over for fun? JS/PC have a plan so just relax and enjoy the ride.

justafan

Reaction score
I disagree with people thinking they have an bargain hunting aproach to the Oline.Pete and JS have spent plenty of draft picks on the Oline 2 1st and a 3rd while giving Unger a healthy raise.Truth is since cable got here the Oline picks have been pretty poor.
I have alot less faith in Cable than most,especially when it comes to making decisions on the roster or draft.
They got here and saw the shape of the OLine and spent plenty to fix it.It would surprise me if they didnt spend higher picks on that group this year.
I also believe they will pay Okung and doubt Cable has much choice in the matter.