Who's your anti-adopt a rookie

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah, good point. :lol:

Totally predictable in its own sort of way.

I've said it before, but 2011/2012 was really some of the greatest team building of the last couple decades, and sometimes I feel like it went to their heads a little bit. There's a "smartest guy in the room" quality to a fair number of the Seahawks' draft picks, which always raises red flags for me.

At the end of the day, tbf though, I'm also probably a little harsh on them, as more generally I have a preference for players you can trust on every play, rather than the atlhetic Adonis types who if everything goes right could one day turn into something really special.

That's particularly true for a team like the Hawks who already have a really good team and just need to be right more often than not to keep the party going, rather than risking big money on hitting the jackpot.

Largent80

Reaction score
At least they drafted actual O-Linemen that played the position in college. That's all we Hawk fans could ask for. The line couldn't be any worse than what they fielded last year.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Popeyejones":32xg7l10 said:

I've said it before, but 2011/2012 was really some of the greatest team building of the last couple decades, and sometimes I feel like it went to their heads a little bit. There's a "smartest guy in the room" quality to a fair number of the Seahawks' draft picks, which always raises red flags for me.

At the end of the day, tbf though, I'm also probably a little harsh on them, as more generally I have a preference for players you can trust on every play, rather than the atlhetic Adonis types who if everything goes right could one day turn into something really special.

That's particularly true for a team like the Hawks who already have a really good team and just need to be right more often than not to keep the party going, rather than risking big money on hitting the jackpot.

They took a total-project DL convert in Sweezy and plugged him in as starting RG from day one. The approach with Ifedi is much more conservative by comparison :mrgreen:

Bringing in someone who played OT in college, then bringing him along slowly at Guard with plans to move him to tackle, is a much more measured approach then they have used in the past, so it's an evolving process. :vodka: Perhaps our OL will advance from abysmal to average about halfway through the season :lol:

McGruff

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":35dzm24s said:
Popeyejones":35dzm24s said:

They took a total-project DL convert in Sweezy and plugged him in as starting RG from day one. The approach with Ifedi is much more conservative by comparison :mrgreen:

Bringing in someone who played OT in college, then bringing him along slowly at Guard with plans to move him to tackle, is a much more measured approach then they have used in the past, so it's an evolving process. :vodka: Perhaps our OL will advance from abysmal to average about halfway through the season :lol:

Sweezy started week 1 of his rookie season because of an injury to John Moffitt. Moffit started the rest of the season until weeks 16-17 and the playoffs, when he was again injured and Sweezy started.

Started 3 regular season games his rookie year. They didn't "plug him in as a starter from day one."

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Gotta be Odhiambo for me.

This was very clearly a Cable favorite pick. Considering that McGovern, Dahl and Haeg were all drafted about 50 spots later -- I think this particular pick is the final referendum on whether or not we know what we should be seeing in OL picks.

Considering the talent take after Odhiambo and specifically the OL talent taken much later -- Odhiambo taken where he was is very surprising.

I'll concede though that this is really just 'betting the field' which is inherently unfair. And the fact that Seattle was without a 4th round selection meant that if they were looking at a wider pool of OL prospects, they were obligated to burn #97 on one of them. Still, I didn't see Odhiambo as being the equal prospect of any of them. Time will definitely tell on this one. But I'm expecting that most, if not all of those taken in the 5th round end up with better careers than Odhiambo taken in the third.

Here's to hoping there is genius in Cable's madness.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I'm going to go with JSeahawks for starting a negative thread this early in the offseason. He had a real questionable 40 time and lack of separation on game film.

Seriously though, take what I said above and apply to Lawler. He scored a lot of TDs in college against the suspect pass defenses of the Pac12 in a high volume short passing attack. The report is that he made a lot of spectacular catches this past weekend but really failed to get separation.

YOU FAILED TO GET SEPARATION IN A NON-PADDED, ROOKIE MINICAMP???

They made so much noise about boxing out and using his big body to shield defenders and snag the ball out of the air with defenders draped all over him. You know who does that better? TIGHT ENDS. I'm sure Graham with a busted knee is infinitely better that this kid as is WIllson and Vannett and these guys are at least big enough to block (or in Graham's case, be slightly in the way). This guy is a super slow version of Kearse. I've seen this movie before. He won't make the 53.

Basis4day

Reaction score
jdemps":2to1cg3b said:
I'm going to go with JSeahawks for starting a negative thread this early in the offseason. He had a real questionable 40 time and lack of separation on game film.

Seriously though, take what I said above and apply to Lawler. He scored a lot of TDs in college against the suspect pass defenses of the Pac12 in a high volume short passing attack. The report is that he made a lot of spectacular catches this past weekend but really failed to get separation.

They made so much noise about boxing out and using his big body to shield defenders and snag the ball out of the air with defenders draped all over him. You know who does that better? TIGHT ENDS. I'm sure Graham with a busted knee is infinitely better that this kid as is WIllson and Vannett and these guys are at least big enough to block (or in Graham's case, be slightly in the way). This guy is a super slow version of Kearse. I've seen this movie before. He won't make the 53.

Link to those reports?

The Hawks typically keep 5-6 receivers. Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett are locks. For argument's sake what two other receivers are you keeping and what do they offer that Lawler doesn't?

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Basis4day":1s0s1i6z said:
jdemps":1s0s1i6z said:

Link to those reports?

The Hawks typically keep 5-6 receivers. Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett are locks. For argument's sake what two other receivers are you keeping and what do they offer that Lawler doesn't?

He's not a finished product -- he's listed at 203 pounds, but it seemed closer to 180 on his lanky 6-foot-2 frame, and didn't show off an ability to separate from coverage -- but there's a lot to like about Lawler's natural ability as a pass catcher.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/foo...-minicamp-takeaways-7421612.php#photo-9978439

This isn't the only place I've seen this. I'd say P-Rich is also a lock. It's between Williams, Smith, Lawler. Maybe Tanner McEvoy who's 6'6", ran a 4.4 40 and played both sides of the ball in college. Didn't hear anything about Lawler on special teams. (Definitely could be wrong on this) In my mind, he's Norwood 2.0. If he can't get separation against UDFA and tryout CBs. Sherm will eat him alive.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The Lockette retiring thread got me thinking about Lawler and P-Rich. If those two don't really show up as a viable gameday WR then neither one of them will likely make the roster with Smith and Williams being good STers.

Funny how I've been talking about skinny kids all offseason and here JS goes and gets another one. I don't know that his hands will come into play too much against NFL CBs. If he's down to 185 now (lost 15 pounds) at almost 6'3 he might even be skinnier than Richardson, which is kind of profound.

All of the picks in the latter half of the draft are pretty questionable though. People talk about Collins' quick feet as a plus, but guys who do that choppy step mess AND also don't cover a whole lot of ground usually don't pan out in the NFL. I question whether he'll ever be more than a GL back.

I like the fact that Hunt is 6' and plays with a good base, but his 30 inch arms leave a big question. We'll see....

Brooks is is a bit of an upright runner and looks one dimensional. He's also been injury prone as well. We'll see....

Already covered Lawler....looks like he came out of a "Help feed the hungry" commercial with some Christian Santa Clause look alike.

Granted, that's why these guys were taken in the latter half of the draft, but still...

Basis4day

Reaction score
jdemps":2jlig056 said:
Basis4day":2jlig056 said:
jdemps":2jlig056 said:

Link to those reports?

He's not a finished product -- he's listed at 203 pounds, but it seemed closer to 180 on his lanky 6-foot-2 frame, and didn't show off an ability to separate from coverage -- but there's a lot to like about Lawler's natural ability as a pass catcher.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/foo...-minicamp-takeaways-7421612.php#photo-9978439

This isn't the only place I've seen this. I'd say P-Rich is also a lock. It's between Williams, Smith, Lawler. Maybe Tanner McEvoy who's 6'6", ran a 4.4 40 and played both sides of the ball in college. Didn't hear anything about Lawler on special teams. (Definitely could be wrong on this) In my mind, he's Norwood 2.0. If he can't get separation against UDFA and tryout CBs. Sherm will eat him alive.

I think Richardson makes it too.

Lawler had 143 receptions for 1706 yards and 27 TD. That's quite a bit of production for me to just dismiss it.
I don't really see the Norwood comparisons. They're body types seem completely different. I don't worry too much about the whole separation issue. If he catches the ball he can be valuable.

It's important to remember that most WR need a couple years to develop. What you get the first day of mini camp isn't what your going to get 3 years down the road.

For what it's worth, McEvyoy only had 10 receptions for about 100 yds and no TD's in college. He's an athlete without a position. Could be a valuable special team player but i think he's destined for the PS.

As far as Sherman eating him alive, well, it's a good thing we don't play against Sherman.

King Dog

Reaction score
I love when the Hawks don't draft the draft nerds favorite SPARQ ,TEF or seahawksdraftblog endorsed players. It's hilarious. Like you're scouts or something :D

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
McGruff":5n75cqfz said:
HawKnPeppa":5n75cqfz said:
Popeyejones":5n75cqfz said:
^^^^ Yeah, good point. [emoji38]

Sweezy started week 1 of his rookie season because of an injury to John Moffitt. Moffit started the rest of the season until weeks 16-17 and the playoffs, when he was again injured and Sweezy started.

Started 3 regular season games his rookie year. They didn't "plug him in as a starter from day one."
That was merely an opportune injury for Cable to move forward with his pet project. :) I won't be bamboozled like that.

Sent from my SC-04F using Tapatalk

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
JSeahawks":21roy4v2 said:
Not necessarily a guy you're rooting against (they're seahawks, we should be rooting for all of them.), but somebody you think is being vastly overrated by others here on this board.

For me it's Joey hunt. There are some who think he'll be our starting center, personally I think he's practice squad at best, and maybe not even that. I'm rooting for him because if he's great it makes the seahawks better, but I think he's going to get tossed around like a rag doll against nfl DTs.

Hunt might surprise you...

Quote from John Schneider:

“Once Tom spent time with him and Matt came back, I don’t know if Pete and I would have been able to leave the building if we didn’t come away with Joey,” Schneider said.

Some other notes from Twitter:

@PFF_College Joey Hunt led nation with 99.5 pass blocking efficiency allowing zero sacks and only three hurries

@natetepp @FieldGulls On Hunt: didn't allow a single sack or hit on the quarterback in 445 pass-block snaps last season.

@PFF_Jim New #Seahawk Joey Hunt has played 1827 of 1967 snap (92.9%) in the past two years. And effectively too…

@ShanePHallam 215 #Seahawks Joey Hunt C Can play OG. Good athlete who shuffles his feet well. Not going to dominate, but rarely gets beat. Small.