Why does no one question the Defensive coordinator?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I wonder is Richard is trying to do too much. He's a young defensive coach that received a promotion. He may be trying to put a mark on the defense instead of letting it run as it had the past few years. Most of the players are vets who have been here for awhile. It could be a classic case of a young and upcoming coach trying to put a his stamp on things. When things like miscommunication, players being confused, etc are brought up it makes you wonder. What disturbs me the most is why are they miscommunicating now when they have been playing with each other for the past 4 years (LOB specifically - Thomas, Kam, and Sherman). Even though they may have lost personal trust off the field due to Kam's holdout, it should be any different on the field unless Richard has made changes to the way they run the defense.

I've been in a similar situation with former employer. We had a manager change on our team and the new manager wanted to put his stamp on things. He basically undid what the previous manager had established and alienated many of the folks that funded our team. Eventually the folks that invested in the team left and the team ended up being disbanded. He was a young manager trying to make a name for himself.

mrblitz

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":547w0k5t said:
This year thus far... we're down to 22.3 pts./game tied for #17.

also, the special teams and defense each have 2 tds, right? so the point total for the offense is even lower...

FormerEvil

Reaction score
mrt144":3o5ylkzy said:
Richards is a first year Coordinator - ratchet those expectations folks.

Maybe they shouldn't have put the DC job in the hands of a rookie in the middle of a Super Bowl window.. Maybe?

mrt144

Reaction score
FormerEvil":2ztdcfgr said:
mrt144":2ztdcfgr said:
Richards is a first year Coordinator - ratchet those expectations folks.

Maybe they shouldn't have put the DC job in the hands of a rookie in the middle of a Super Bowl window.. Maybe?

Who knew winning a SB would wind up making every yeAR borderline asphyxiation inducing.

Must.win.one.more gasp

OP
OP
P

peppersjap

Reaction score
Willyeye":28mvqnft said:
I think Carroll has stayed far too loyal to Bevell, and perhaps he promoted Kris Richard to a position he's not quite qualified/ready for, at least not yet. I would say this: the offense has wasted far too many drives...way too many three-and-outs. They have failed to chew up the clock and that has resulted in defensive struggles. Richard seems to be doing okay (but nowhere near the level Quinn had them playing at) for the first three quarters, and maybe the 4th quarter collapses are due to a tired defense that is tired because of the offense's deficiencies. But overall, the D seems confused on a lot of plays and I have to think that's on Richard. I think the offense has shown some brilliant flashes, but not consistently enough...I think that's on Bevell.

I think the following D guys are not playing even close to their potential: Mebane, Sherman, Chancellor, Wagner, Bennett (was awesome against the Lions and Bears, but mediocre in the 4 losses)...none are elite this year...and even Earl seems underwhelming at times in certain games. The money guys don't seem to be earning all those millions. A lot of the young guys are not getting enough playing time. Clark and Marsh should be used more. Unfortunately, it seems we have ZERO depth at DB and LB.

Partly due to injuries and giving snaps to the wrong personnel, the DB group seems to be lacking. Lane is sorely missed...as is healthy Simon. Williams seems to me to be a bust. Taking away his one pass rush that resulted in the forced fumble and TD, he's done nothing special...the only silver lining here is that Maxwell is probably playing even worse over in Philly. Shead is horrible. The nickel position has simply sucked. Thomas and Chancellor seem to be confused a lot. I have to think most of that is on Richard. I just don't think Richard was ready for prime time.
I agree with most of what you have said except that I think Wagner has been elite this year. The other defensive players I would put at that level are Thomas, Avril and KJ Wright. I also disagree with the Shead comment, I think he has played well.

OP
OP
P

peppersjap

Reaction score
2Cool4School":3129yr89 said:
Cant really blame kris richard for sherman giving up passes . And guys on defense miscommunicating. All he can do is call defenses and tell his players to execute, its the players job to be prepared to cover their assignment. I think hes doing a good job to be honest. the players in the secondary are the ones messing up most of the time
It is his job to make sure these players are on the same page! Why are the players in our pro bowl secondary suddenly confused? The biggest change is the Defensive coordinator!

OP
OP
P

peppersjap

Reaction score
The point to this post wasn't to give the offense a pass but to point out that our stud Defense is not performing like one. I'm not sure how anyone could have thought that our offensive line was going to be elite this year. The Defense has been great through 3 quarters but they can't finish unless they are going up against Jimmy Clausen. The offensive line has struggled but we are back to the same old story from the last couple of years, if you keep Wilson in the pocket bad things happen. He has been sacked a ton this year but instead of stepping to the outside he has been stepping up in the pocket this year and nothing good ever comes of that. I am all for firing the Bevell just wanted to point out that maybe the guy on the other side wasn't doing his job either.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":33b07frb said:
I think it's very fair to partially blame the DC. In the 4th quarter Newton had way too much time to throw the ball and that's what did the Hawks in yesterday. Adjustments either were not made or didn't work. When you pressure Newton (as they did earlier in the game) he is a turnover machine.
I think you can blame the DC insofar as he's a rookie DC. But he's also worked with this secondary, the Legion of Boom, and gotten them to where they are. And a lot more blame falls on THEM than their rookie DC. They're vets now.

Cary Williams was a mistake, however. And that's hurting us too. I was worried about him, but I had hoped he'd fit in with ET covering over the top. That isn't happening, however. He's no Maxwell nor Browner.

This miscommunication crap, though. It's troubling.