Why doesn't Pete like John Ursua?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I think everyone has been a bit perplexed at how little Ursua has been used this Year. He liked him enough to draft him and put him on the roster but hasn't used him much at all this Year.

So when I heard Pete's comments on 710 Monday morning I shouldn't have been surpised but it was weirdly the most passive aggressively negative I've heard him about a player in a while. He said a few sentences about how the transition from Hawaii to the hawks has been a tough transition, and how he's working through a bunch of things to get playing time. But then he went on to talk about his catch in the 4th Q of last game. He said how the play was basically for him to sit at the top of the end zone so if he caught a pass it would be a td. And he said after Russ scrambled John went to the ball a little so that when he caught it he was short of the endzone.

Commenting on that play he said something along the lines of "it was a good play. Just not what we needed at the time" It struck me as a very odd thing to say. So John catches a 4th and 10 pass for a conversion, and instead of losing right there we are on the doorstep of victory... and instead of gushing about the clutch play he made, Pete says it's "not what we needed at the time"? Just imo was a totally bizarre thing to say and coupled with his talk about John's apparent struggles adjusting to our offense gave me the feeling he is weirdly anti-Ursua...

Just my 2 cents about a guy I think we are all almost unaminsously high on.. anyone catch this interview Monday morning as well?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Pete isn’t infallible. That said, I sometimes see these plays unfold and imagine say, an Angry Doug making that catch and turning it into a touchdown. Doug is always in the right position. Ditto for Dissly. When receivers aren’t in the right position it leads to turnovers, which leads to people blaming the QB.

Ursua will get his chances, he just needs to continue doing the work and being in the right place.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Here is an article from 710 where Pete talks about Ursua. It would be easier to just copy/paste, but I don't think that is encouraged here. https://sports.mynorthwest.com/742112/s ... JOyNykQAeM

:sarcasm_on: Guy is practically too old to play and we need to get him on the field before he retires. :sarcasm_off: His only play in the regular season certainly was a great one. I am sure he will see more playing time next year. Maybe even against the Eagles.

lukerguy

Reaction score
It look an injury at CB for Richard Sherman to get a start.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I heard that too, and thought it was an awfully weird thing to say.

In that vein, I wish Blair would get more playing time. But in Pete's defense, he sees a lot from these guys in practice, and I believe he makes his decisions based on that.

Problem is, practice doesn't always translate to the game. I think where Pete runs in to his biggest issues is when he's flippant about a decision. I've heard him say things as "no big deal, we're not worried about that," and it almost ALWAYS comes back to bite him.

But like Danny O'Neil said, "With Pete, it's a trade off. You get all the success, the great wins, but you also get those questionable decisions that cost the team. "

I hate it. BUT, I'll take it. We have never experienced this kind of success. Next to the New England Patriots, probably the most successful team of the 90s.

I'll take it. :snack:

JGreen79

Reaction score
MrThortan":o0d4td3l said:
Here is an article from 710 where Pete talks about Ursua. It would be easier to just copy/paste, but I don't think that is encouraged here. https://sports.mynorthwest.com/742112/s ... JOyNykQAeM

:sarcasm_on: Guy is practically too old to play and we need to get him on the field before he retires. :sarcasm_off: His only play in the regular season certainly was a great one. I am sure he will see more playing time next year. Maybe even against the Eagles.

Based on the quote from the article Is sounds like Pete was praising the route, and then coming back to the ball on the scramble still. It also sounds like the compete part he's still working on is the lining up, and blocking aspects of the position.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If Pete didn't like John Ursua he wouldn't be on the practice squad right now, let alone the 53 man roster, let alone the active roster. We've had plenty of other receivers in and we're not anchored to a 7th round pick.

What Pete did explain perfectly well was that Ursua's instincts were to work back to the QB to maximize the throwing window. In this specific case that was an error, and a perfectly understandable one for a rookie to make. He didn't throw Ursua under the bus at all but was candid in the same way he talked about Barton being out of position a couple of weeks ago and Lano on Sunday.

IMO if you interpret any of that interview as passive aggressiveness then you're looking at things through a weird filter of preconceptions and just confirming what you want to see.

Largent80

Reaction score
This is one of the frustrations I have with Pete. He expects players to "prove it" in practice before they get a shot. How much more of Hill and Thompson do you need to see in games???...Blair, Ursua and Barton need to be playing for the future.

Getting exp. in the playoffs would go a long way.

xray

Reaction score
I haven't listened to anything Carroll has said for along time . Most of what he says is gibberish anyway . As far as Ursua is concerned if he doesn't come back for that catch...game over then . Wasn't that a 4th and long play ? Come on Pete ; pay attention ; if you still can .

JGreen79

Reaction score
Largent80":2748kq1y said:
This is one of the frustrations I have with Pete. He expects players to "prove it" in practice before they get a shot. How much more of Hill and Thompson do you need to see in games???...Blair, Ursua and Barton need to be playing for the future.

Getting exp. in the playoffs would go a long way.

That's the biggest flaw with the always compete philosophy in the NFL. The guys playing have "won" the compete part in practices, and thus get playing time.

Kind of like how employers in my industry are requiring degrees, and replacing experience with Recent Colege Grads. They end up getting people who know how everything is supposed to work, but can't figure out the day to day changes and random events that happen in the factory.

Jville

Reaction score
MrThortan":265bqd0q said:

Thanks for posting a link to a relevant article. :2thumbs: We don't copy and paste majority portions of articles or transcripts. But a limited quote that support a point or clarifies is welcomed. For example ....................
He’s really natural, he’s really instinctive. He is more classically like a young player who has a lot of stuff to learn. He was in a different style of offense (at the University of Hawaii) and he has a lot of things he has to carry over in terms of the discipline and splits and alignments and assignments and blocking assignments, all those kinds of things. It’s going to come to him because he’s a great athlete. I picture him being a really big factor. He’s as natural as you can get as a receiver.” -- Pete Carroll
................................... I think that is a good clear and transparent appraisal of where John Ursua is in the "process" of developing into a Seahawks receiver. It certainly addresses the OP's question.

Thanks once again for linking relevant and useful information :2thumbs:

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2r9t9ebc said:
"Always comPete" only applies when it fits Carroll's agenda
A nice mantra when you're a team of nobodies, ala 2009-2011. Once the stars were developed and a culture was established that went away fast.

Seymour

Reaction score
xray":1dwcrxzy said:
I haven't listened to anything Carroll has said for along time . Most of what he says is gibberish anyway . As far as Ursua is concerned if he doesn't come back for that catch...game over then . Wasn't that a 4th and long play ? Come on Pete ; pay attention ; if you still can .

What a ridiculous comment from Pete. :roll: I'm thinking his ADD is to the point that he seriously cannot pay attention well enough to know that play kept them alive for 3 more chances. I wonder if Pete knows that when you get more chances that your odds of winning go up substantially? :smilingalien:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Pete's comments are definitely confusing considering it was 4th down, but how in the hell did Ursua not accidentally score on this?

19978300 web1 M Seahawks edh 191231 1024x682

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
AgentDib":12k7i9lm said:
If Pete didn't like John Ursua he wouldn't be on the practice squad right now, let alone the 53 man roster, let alone the active roster. We've had plenty of other receivers in and we're not anchored to a 7th round pick.

What Pete did explain perfectly well was that Ursua's instincts were to work back to the QB to maximize the throwing window. In this specific case that was an error, and a perfectly understandable one for a rookie to make. He didn't throw Ursua under the bus at all but was candid in the same way he talked about Barton being out of position a couple of weeks ago and Lano on Sunday.

IMO if you interpret any of that interview as passive aggressiveness then you're looking at things through a weird filter of preconceptions and just confirming what you want to see.

An error? It was 4th down are you serious?? In what world is coming back to the ball so you can have a better chance at keeping the game alive making an error?

Elemas

Reaction score
ivotuk":2wkmjsdp said:
I heard that too, and thought it was an awfully weird thing to say.

In that vein, I wish Blair would get more playing time. But in Pete's defense, he sees a lot from these guys in practice, and I believe he makes his decisions based on that.

Problem is, practice doesn't always translate to the game. I think where Pete runs in to his biggest issues is when he's flippant about a decision. I've heard him say things as "no big deal, we're not worried about that," and it almost ALWAYS comes back to bite him.

But like Danny O'Neil said, "With Pete, it's a trade off. You get all the success, the great wins, but you also get those questionable decisions that cost the team. "

I hate it. BUT, I'll take it. We have never experienced this kind of success. Next to the New England Patriots, probably the most successful team of the 90s.

I'll take it. :snack:

Not trying to derail the thread but, I completely agree with your statement about Blair. He's a good hard nosed defender. I want to see this kid on the field...like yesterday.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":3rsiyxfb said:

Yep ^ I think that we fans listen too close for things we don't want to hear, WE ALL do it.
Pete isn't doing what a bunch of fans want him to do, things like playing Moore instead of Ursua, or Playing Carson when a bunch of Penny fans want to see their guy instead, hell, I'd even bet that there are some armchair coaches that actually believe that they could outcoach Pete, Solari, Norton, or Schotts, ALL PUT TOGETHER.
I can see where Pete wanted to give Ursua the best chances to succeed by bringing him on slowly, and acclimating him to the speed of NFL action.
It was nice seeing the kid make that clutch catch, but now (because of injuries) that he's been thrust into action.
I for one was one of the "Put John Ursua In There" and let him sink or swim, but I'm sure that if truth be told, I'd bet that Pete had seen in practices, where he likely thought that he needed a little more time to transition into NFL speed.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
LMAO @ this thread. Watch Pete's comments at this moment. Wednesday 01/01/2020.