Why no Tavon Austin-like hype for Brandin Cooks?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Peter King clued me into the parallels in their final college seasons that should have been more obvious:

Player 40 time Height Weight Rec. Yards Avg. TD Overall Draft Pick
Austin 4.34 5-9 174 114 1289 11.3 12 8
Cooks 4.33 5-9 ¾ 189 128 1730 13.5 16 —

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/03/nfl-n-wor ... terback/2/

Austin was the 8th overall pick. Cooks is getting talked about as a late 1st, early 2nd type of guy. Is the lack of hype for Cooks just a function of the deep WR class? His numbers are damn impressive.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd say that's a component.

But I'd also say, that Austin is kind of a cautionary tale for a guy like Cooks. Austin didn't have anything close to the kind of impact that he was billed to have. Also, I don't believe that hype was typically shared by a lot of NFL clubs. So I'd guess that part of the lack of hype is due to Austin really kind of falling on his face in his rookie campaign.

Cooks is a slot only kind of guy. He's going to have less positional value. Unless a team has a real void at the slot position, he's not likely to be selected in round 1.

randomation

Reaction score
This years receiver class is also MUCH stronger you didn't have Evans Watkin and Beckham last year or really anyone on par with them.

kearly

Reaction score
IMO, his measurables, production, and tape are extremely similar to 2009 Deon Butler. You worry about him getting killed over the middle, and he lacks the size to be a viable red line receiver. At least with Austin, he had freakish movement ability that transcended his already amazing forty time and allowed him to be a bit of an exception in college, though the Rams are still trying to figure out how to make him an exception in the pros.

If Cooks was ultra-elusive like Austin, or bulky like Steve Smith, I'd feel differently. I do not understand the 1st round hype. To be fair, I would not want to see him on a division foe because Seattle has had some issues with speedy guys who run good routes.

HawkWow

Reaction score
^ This and I also think Austin benefitted in HUGE fashion because of Harvin-mania.

He was definitely slow out of the blocks and my understanding is that he was having "a difficult time learning the playbook", so unless Cooks is also a bit of a dolt, hard to fairly base Cooks' potential in relation to Austin's.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":166f0mjy said:
IMO, his measurables, production, and tape are extremely similar to 2009 Deon Butler. You worry about him getting killed over the middle, and he lacks the size to be a viable red line receiver. At least with Austin, he had freakish movement ability that transcended his already amazing forty time and allowed him to be a bit of an exception in college, though the Rams are still trying to figure out how to make him an exception in the pros.

If Cooks was ultra-elusive like Austin, or bulky like Steve Smith, I'd feel differently. I do not understand the 1st round hype. To be fair, I would not want to see him on a division foe because Seattle has had some issues with speedy guys who run good routes.

IMO you haven't watched enough film of Cooks then. He is bulky for his size, built a lot like Harvin and even smith, not skinny like Butler. The kid is ripped, and used his strength a lot throughout the year to get the ball. To compare Cooks and Butler is a joke.