Why the OL Has Been So Bad?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
There are only so many drills you can do with an O lineman.

Steve2222

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3jpabgwc said:
There are only so many drills you can do with an O lineman.

That's false. There's a plethora of OL drills. Also, I get people are having fun with the picture, but in seriousness it means nothing without context. For all we know it could be an end of practice, fun competition thing to keep things loose. Football team at all levels do this. My high school coach would have fun competitions at the end of walk through practice the day before the game (i.e. WR vs DB Oklahoma drill, fat boy relay (OL/DL), fat boy 7 on 7, someone other than the kicker make a FG to end practice, etc etc etc)

hawk45

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":13964ug8 said:
It's pretty obviously a hand/eye coordination and quickness drill with the competition factor to make them go as quickly as they can, but that doesn't fit the narrative you guys are going for.

I mean Cable is badz. He iz ruin our linez and turnz them defensez.

It still fits the narrative. Of a coach who struggles to impart pass blocking fundamentals who finds time to spend on grab-azz drills.

Steve2222

Reaction score
hawk45":qo6itcru said:
KiwiHawk":qo6itcru said:
It's pretty obviously a hand/eye coordination and quickness drill with the competition factor to make them go as quickly as they can, but that doesn't fit the narrative you guys are going for.

It still fits the narrative. Of a coach who struggles to impart pass blocking fundamentals who finds time to spend on grab-azz drills.

Football practice isn't 100% business. There's always time to do a fun, grab ass drill to keep things loose. Again, I hate to be that guy, but this post reeks of you never playing a competitive sport.

hawk45

Reaction score
Steve2222":1aw76rxs said:
hawk45":1aw76rxs said:
KiwiHawk":1aw76rxs said:

Football practice isn't 100% business. There's always time to do a fun, grab ass drill to keep things loose. Again, I hate to be that guy, but this post reeks of you never playing a competitive sport.

You mean like OL and LB? High school, so it's not as if I played professionally, but good try just the same. What I learned was that grab-ass depends on the coach. Our linebacker coach was a stud and our stay-loose drills consisted of hitting each other in some shape or fashion because that was the mentality of the unit. OL was a bit more laid-back because of the "invisible man" esprit-de-corps engendered by that position, but then again we weren't a unit that was the sucking vacuum of the team's Superbowl chances from year to year.

One drill isn't the reason for all the woes, but symbolism is a thing. It's a dopey drill. And the post I quoted wasn't pitching it as a dopey drill to stay loose, if you'll notice.

Steve2222

Reaction score
hawk45":2o399kjw said:
Steve2222":2o399kjw said:
hawk45":2o399kjw said:
KiwiHawk":2o399kjw said:

You mean like OL and LB? High school, so it's not as if I played professionally, but good try just the same. What I learned was that grab-ass depends on the coach. Our linebacker coach was a stud and our stay-loose drills consisted of hitting each other in some shape or fashion because that was the mentality of the unit. OL was a bit more laid-back because of the "invisible man" esprit-de-corps engendered by that position, but then again we weren't a unit that was the sucking vacuum of the team's Superbowl chances from year to year.

One drill isn't the reason for all the woes, but symbolism is a thing. It's a dopey drill. And the post I quoted wasn't pitching it as a dopey drill to stay loose, if you'll notice.

Again. There's no context for this picture. It's dangerous to judge something without context.

cymatica

Reaction score
Here's some context: I have seen our linemen jump, litterally disengage and jump in the air in front of a DL. There was no point to it, it didn't help the block at all, but instinctively it happened when it shouldn't have

hawk45

Reaction score
Steve2222":2rgtz302 said:
hawk45":2rgtz302 said:
Steve2222":2rgtz302 said:
hawk45":2rgtz302 said:

Again. There's no context for this picture. It's dangerous to judge something without context.

The poster I quoted said it was "obvious" that it is a drill with some meaning/value. Your response to my post asserted that it was a touch-butt drill. I see where you make the context point in a previous post, but your response to me was a specific rebuttal/defense based on touch-butt being a thing, which I agree it is with some coaches.

Then you shifted to assuming I spent my high school days in chess club, when that didn't pan out now you're shifting ground back to context and we can't know what the drill is.

The context argument - if you're really sticking with that now - is a weak on in any event. Either it's a serious drill in which case we should all laugh at Cable or it's a touch-butt drill in which case we laugh at him a little less I guess.

Jville

Reaction score
So much noise ....... so little content.

Perhaps that is why there is so very little posted about the offensive line that is of any value.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
When I clicked on this topic I was expecting to read a well thought out and researched opinion about Pete and John's philosophical approach to the O-line and how poorly we've drafted, developed and acquired O-lineman.

Nope, just a pic of lineman doing a drill batting balls down.

You win this time .Net. But I still have hope for you yet.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I agree that it's inconclusive to draw any context from a still picture. A video would be more telling as to what's going on there.

mrt144

Reaction score
Oh my god the deep thinkers on this one.

As much as a disrespect Cable, this kinda thing is far lower on the list than things like choosing to start Novak. Like, it shouldnt make the list at all.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Nobody has any idea what drill they're doing just by looking at a picture. For all you know, it's a drill that every OL coach in the league does.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":atk6r64p said:
Nobody has any idea what drill they're doing just by looking at a picture. For all you know, it's a drill that every OL coach in the league does.

Of course it is, it's a batting the ball down drill, done by every team going back to pee wee football.

Write all the off topic PWR profanity laced posts you want, THESE are the threads that offend me. Makes us look dumb as a fanbase.

Atradees

Reaction score
We have one guy returning at center. Half a season later they will achieve half a season of working together. There's your rocket science. Hurry up offense better work.

TasteTheBeastmode

Reaction score
Seriously?

You don't understand that an offensive lineman spiking a batted ball away from a defensive lineman is the difference between a turnover and an incompletion?

There are going to be at least a batted ball or two per game. Making sure your players are aware of how to minimize the damage when it happens is the type of attention to detail that the NFL requires.

I hate zone blocking. Even more, I hate Tom Cable with a passion and have wanted him gone for years but to use this to criticize him is just silly

chris98251

Reaction score
Given we have some redshirts around I would think it was a team building drill of some sort for fun.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm kinda coming around on this whole touch-butt thing. I mean it probably does less damage than Cable's regularly scheduled programming. I'm in!

OP
OP
Seanhawk

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I can't believe the amount of people that are taking this with any kind of seriousness. Look, our OL has been terrible. I saw this photo on .com and got a good chuckle out of it because as a still shot it looks like the last thing a OL, and a bad one at that, should be working on. Jebus.

12thbrah

Reaction score
They are obviously having tryouts for the off-season volleyball team.