Will Pete coach this year?

Reaction score
I was thinking about it today. With Pete being 69 years old for this season, he's an extremely high risk individual for major complications and potentially death if he catches COVID-19.

With literally millions of dollars in the bank, anyone else suspect he might peace out when the season starts trying to ramp up and players are confirmed contagious?

Osprey

Reaction score
It’s not an age causation thing as much as a comorbidity with other conditions.

Age is a correlation because we tend to acquire conditions over time. I suppose you can argue advanced age means less vitality to aid recovery, but doesn’t seem to be a primary factor.

Nunya

Reaction score
I just don't see PC as being a guy that would live his life in fear of what "might" or "could" happen.

Seymour

Reaction score
His age puts him at an "increased risk" category, not "extreemely high risk". :roll:

People over 100 years old have beat the virus, it's not just an age thing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete's the kind of coach that'd coach on the sideline in a full Hazmat suit before he'd retire or stop coaching over something like this.

sutz

Reaction score
Just look at the guy. He is in pretty good shape, the kind of shape most 40 somethings would be happy to be in.

Like was said above, age is A factor, but hardly the only factor in the risk of the disease.

nrayorr

Reaction score
If it were up to Pete and he could do it he'd coach until he's 80. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

OP
OP
Q
Reaction score
Mad Dog":10j3hpjj said:
I'd worry more if i was Andy Reid.

Definitely. No way he doesn't have some heart issues as it is with his lifelong weight problem. But Reid being higher risk doesn't minimize Pete's risk.

Pete is probably one of the healthier guys right around 70 years old. But he's still very much in the riskier category.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Nunya":2pkat32y said:
I just don't see PC as being a guy that would live his life in fear of what "might" or "could" happen.
Yeah, but I also don't see him as foolhardy either...If you can take all precautionary measures, why the hell wouldn't ya?
Money doesn't mean shit to the dead.

KinesProf

Reaction score
When speaking to someone's susceptibility to health issues it is important to distinguish that person's biological age and chronological age.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Osprey":yfjogn21 said:
It’s not an age causation thing as much as a comorbidity with other conditions.

Age is a correlation because we tend to acquire conditions over time. I suppose you can argue advanced age means less vitality to aid recovery, but doesn’t seem to be a primary factor.

Yeah comorbidity !!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
KinesProf":11ei73ss said:
When speaking to someone's susceptibility to health issues it is important to distinguish that person's biological age and chronological age.
As has already been mentioned, there's been a 100+ year old with super-duper immune system that came through the Corona Virus with flying colors, while some children & teens that did not, so there is that.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":297ohv7c said:
The better question is will anyone coach this year?

This is one of the huge rubs in the NFL. Even if you assume your relatively to very young athletes are a low risk for death or serious complications, you still have the coaching and support staffs for the teams. A lot of the coaches are older. And just because it impacts more

I'm not convinced that any major league is going to get up and operating until there is some kind of real treatments (like antivirals) and large scale, accurate testing and tracking instead of just symptom management in severe cases like we have now.

Do you think the S&C coaches want to be in a weight room in close proximity to everybody else for hours, much less coaches interacting with players on the practice field and games? And this isn't just about the people at work themselves, it's about the people who they come into contact with, and the people they come into contact with.

You've got over 1,500 players and at least at much staff that have to do work in proximity to each other in the NFL. I want this season just as much as anyone. And I'd really like for this disease to wash away, but that seems really unlikely. We need to understand better what we're dealing with and be able to treat the actual disease. Until then it's going to suck.

xray

Reaction score
KinesProf":31ht0jtp said:

exactly...big difference between the 2 at times .

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Age is a risk factor, but probably not an independent risk factor.

It is a risk factor because the older one is, the more "conditions" one tends to accumulate.

The 70-year-olds that are active back country skiers, who's bodies are conditioned to go uphill, with sustained heart rates in the 160s to 170s, with high VO2s and very low PAO2s, are much more likely to tolerate the Covid insult than your average 30 to 40-year-old, who's exercise regimen exists of 12 oz curls, and who gets short of breath getting up to change the TV channel.

There are a lot of NFL staff in the latter category, but I wouldn't put Pete in that category.