Will we see the No Huddle offense this year?

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
Anyone who has watched UW football this year knows that Sark has turned up the tempo. He claims to be running the same offense, but going full speed no huddle. One of the main reasons for the switch was to negate deficiencies along the offensive line which he has under recruited for years. UW simply doesn't have the horses to compete at the LOS, so instead they have switched to an offense which minimizes their impact.

At what point does Bevell turn to the no huddle offense? If the OL continues to struggle, I think this could be a major aid, if not solution. Now, I'm not saying it needs to be an entire game, wholesale change, but a couple times a half, every other drive, some mix of it could be very useful. Not to mention I think Russ would THRIVE in an offense that relies on him making calls at the line where he's got the controls. Could also open up the read option a little more as well.

Hendo66

Reaction score
I've been wanting an occasional change of tempo for some time. I do think it would be effective.

seahawks08

Reaction score
i don't think that would happen. With a cerebral RW who can change plays in the huddle and the Oline that needs help, no huddle in my opinion may not happen. Unless everyone is on the same page. I think the offense has not yet gelled and are still fine tuning to be efficient. I am looking forward to after BYE when I think our efficiency in offense will considerably improve.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You might see a hurry up play here and there, but Pete Carroll would never allow that to become the identity of this team like it has at UW or in Denver. He wants to ground-and-pound, take big shots and run the play-clock near zero all the time. That's his philosophy. One, this aids his defense, which is built around speed and energy. Two, Carroll has spoken and written frequently about committing to an "identity" to succeed as a coach. I'm sure he's already gritting his teeth over a lot of the short-passing stuff we've had to implement because of protection issues. Doubt he wants to go much further than that.

slipwax

Reaction score
I agree that Pete would not allow it. He values time of possession. But we've all seen RW thrive in the 2 minute offense. I think a no-huddle could help alleviate some of the Oline issues and get the offense going...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The no-huddle offense?! (Add the Jim Mora 'Playoffs?!' voice to that.)

I'm still waiting for us to get the basics of a regular offense down. :|

Tical21

Reaction score
A team like the Seahawks benefits more from slowing the game down than speeding it up.

I believe Sark did this for Miles and Troy Williams, and IMO negated his biggest strength, which was his ability to predict defenses and call plays. I haven't been impressed with the Oregon Huskies new offense. It made our best offensive receiving threats into spectators, who watch Mickens and Hall catch screen passes all game long. Anyone who thinks Sark is calling the same plays but at a different rate hasn't been paying attention.

Spreading it out and running more plays will only expose Wilson to more hits.

OP
OP
ChrisB Bacon

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
Tical21":2xo7ko5t said:
A team like the Seahawks benefits more from slowing the game down than speeding it up.

I believe Sark did this for Miles and Troy Williams, and IMO negated his biggest strength, which was his ability to predict defenses and call plays. I haven't been impressed with the Oregon Huskies new offense. It made our best offensive receiving threats into spectators, who watch Mickens and Hall catch screen passes all game long. Anyone who thinks Sark is calling the same plays but at a different rate hasn't been paying attention.

Spreading it out and running more plays will only expose Wilson to more hits.
I completely agree with your entire bit on UW. I called BS on Sark's statement of "same plays, faster tempo" after the Boise game. It's a completely different offense. Watch some of the games from 2009 or 2010. That, to me, is Sark's bread and butter. I cannot remember a play run from under center once this entire year.

I was just using that statement as a basis for what Seattle could do. Bevell could keep the same scheme, just run it at a faster pace. So do what Sark said he would do, but never actually did.

edogg23

Reaction score
Pete ran no huddle a lot with TJax. I think I remember him saying back then that he will run no huddle if it fits the qb. No huddle usually helps keep teams in their base defense and getting too cute with blitzes so maybe it would help us.

Basis4day

Reaction score
If Breno and Okung were out for the year and the offensive line still struggled (and we started losing games) they might consider it. They seem optimistic that Okung will return.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
More quick screens and quick crossing patterns would benefit this team right now imo. If a little hurry up helps them, go for it.

formido

Reaction score
I think it would be a great idea to wear out some of these pass rushes and get defenses on their heels.

Indianapolis uses the no-huddle strategically to great effect for this purpose. That's how they got back in the game against Houston, when Houston was just demolishing Luck. Luck had missed on something like 10 passes in a row before they went no-huddle, and they were bad misses, throws into the dirt with Watt in his face and the like.

Annoyingly, going no-huddle was also one of the keys to Indy's victory over us. They're smart about it, though. They use it sparingly. There are advantages to keeping play counts low, and Indy, just like Seattle, is very aware of that.

Latest posts