Wilson leads league in 3rd Down Rushing Yards

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":79nc0d25 said:
Teams get push up the middle, that forces our situation to happen where Russell leaves the pocket,additionally empty backfield just turns the green light on and no play action when we do doesn't give any read time for the defense they just run blitz the gaps without worry.

The difference between us and the Saints with Brees.

It's also why Lynch has contact and yards after contact, if he can get thru the first wave we see the Beast.
Russell Wilson has never been one to stay in the pocket for too long, even when he gets good pockets. He has always bailed, he's never been a Drew Brees type of QB. Secondly, oddly enough Russ's passer rating is actually lower this year with play action passes which is very strange.

chris98251

Reaction score
You say never, I think he threw from the pocket a lot in college, it's his pro career he has been living more on the edge. All 2.5 years of it.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":31ar54ww said:
You say never, I think he threw from the pocket a lot in college, it's his pro career he has been living more on the edge. All 2.5 years of it.
Even in college he didn't stay in the pocket for very long, he also seemed to get rid of the ball much quicker. There were also more designed roll outs for him. I think that sort of offense fit Russell Wilson better than what Bevell is running up in Seattle. It was more similar to what Jeremy Bates did when he was here.

Smellyman

Reaction score
chris98251":2burshg7 said:

Wisconsin has always had one of the best Olines in the nation.

He also had the all time college passer rating for a season at Wisconsin.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":eheq4q9e said:
HawkWow":eheq4q9e said:
Impressed with the legs, grit and determination of Russ, but somehow I don't think this is the stat Pete, Bevell and Cable were hoping for.

We were led to believe this year's plan was to go away from the read option and / or to put the reigns on Wilson's running (to preserve him). Now it's like we have absolutely no choice. If Wilson doesn't close out games with his legs, chances are very good we lose.

The blunders leading up to this are many, too many to go into here (again), but the offense is looking more sandlot than ever and someone (take your pick) should be held accountable. Love watching the kid run the ball but our return to mediocrity is just a play away. A 3rd down play away, most likely.
Wilson wouldn't have to use his legs so much if he didn't hold onto it as long as he does. Our offensive line is very, very bad, but Russ does not do them any favors.

Yeah to get rid of it some has to be open, it snot on Russ 95% of the time. And FYI without Russ scrambling the oline would have 3 times as many sacks so yeah it is on them as well.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":82nmnts3 said:
chris98251":82nmnts3 said:
Teams get push up the middle, that forces our situation to happen where Russell leaves the pocket,additionally empty backfield just turns the green light on and no play action when we do doesn't give any read time for the defense they just run blitz the gaps without worry.

The difference between us and the Saints with Brees.

It's also why Lynch has contact and yards after contact, if he can get thru the first wave we see the Beast.
Russell Wilson has never been one to stay in the pocket for too long, even when he gets good pockets. He has always bailed, he's never been a Drew Brees type of QB. Secondly, oddly enough Russ's passer rating is actually lower this year with play action passes which is very strange.

Yeah that would also be wrong, I am guessing you missed all the this he took last game trying to stand tall in the pocket. He leaves the pocket when he has to , either to avoid the rush, or help his Wr get open by extending the play. But he stands in as long as he can

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":4j2sgiil said:
chris98251":4j2sgiil said:
Even in college he didn't stay in the pocket for very long, he also seemed to get rid of the ball much quicker. There were also more designed roll outs for him. I think that sort of offense fit Russell Wilson better than what Bevell is running up in Seattle. It was more similar to what Jeremy Bates did when he was here.
Then why was his TD to INT ratio and QB rating so much higher last season within the pocket ?

lobohawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2e7466qd said:
chris98251":2e7466qd said:

Not true. He stayed in the pocket more than not in college. Especially true at Wisconsin where he had a better line. You generally only see the scramble/run plays cause they are the ones used for highlights.

In the Pros where the line has been suspect, his coach demands low turnovers, and likes explosive plays, he's more willing to hold the ball looking for the safer or game changing play. Does it lead to him sometimes bailing too soon or holding it too long. Yup. It's the downside of his intentions and the framework he's been put in.

He began by having to prove he could do exactly what the coach wanted to get the job (the team wasn't handed and catered to him). He's not allowed to just sling it and never has been. He's often asked not to throw a lot and then make a play at a crucial time. The downside is he has to go in cold and make the throw vs getting in a rhythm like high volume passers. The mess with the offensive gameplan early this year has been a drag on his growth, add in the lack of OL stability and him still learning, and you get these inconsistent games.