Wilson to take added responsibility in Pass Protection

bigtrain21

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":3gdlal10 said:
The O-line protection calls have been the Center's responsibility forever. That's football 101. This isn't Wilson finally being able to accept normal QB responsibilities, this is Wilson having more put on his plate because our Center is too new to the position to make his own protection calls.

That's not true. Some offensive coordinators and coaches want their qb's to call the protections.

Here is a good article for you to read. http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_ ... ns-and-why

Uploadfromtaptalk1441979700024

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1ddrdnza said:
c_hawkbob":1ddrdnza said:
The O-line protection calls have been the Center's responsibility forever. That's football 101. This isn't Wilson finally being able to accept normal QB responsibilities, this is Wilson having more put on his plate because our Center is too new to the position to make his own protection calls.

That's not true. Some offensive coordinators and coaches want their qb's to call the protections.

Here is a good article for you to read. http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_ ... ns-and-why

because you found one example of a coach that doesn't do it that way doesn't make it not true. It is still predominately the case in the NFL (and football in general) and has been that way for us.

Having to change it up has not gone well for us in the past either. Remember when Robbie Tobeck got hut and Chris Gray was trying to help him with the protection calls and Matty had to keep tapping Spencer on the arse and pointing out a call he missed? That didn't go well for us at all, especially since we were an offense that relied so much on pace ... finally we had to give Gray the responsibility. Much of the reason for the 2nd half of 2006 collapse was the center position and a youngster that couldn't pick up the calls.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I guess Nowak's inexperience forced their hand on this one, but I'm glad Russ's getting more responsibility and expect it to come hand in hand with him calling more 'audibles' than we've previously seen. I also think his release time will come down not insignificantly this year - not that this will necessarily be evident at the start of the season.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":21n3n8yo said:

I don't like that we have to do this, and I hope it doesn't wind up biting us in the arse, but I will say that Russ in one of only a small handful of QB's in the NFL I think have the capacity to handle the extra responsibility.

It's different, sure, but I like it. Wilson is one of those guys that really thrives when you give him more responsibility. His best games have come when he has had to take the team on his shoulders. And you know he has put in and is putting in extra effort to make sure that he gets the calls right and knows what he will be facing. I think this will be a very good thing in the long run.

Plus, he signed the big contract and is being paid like a franchise quarterback now. With great power comes great responsibility.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He reminds me of Gary Payton, let him take over the game and good things happen.
Sometimes you gotta' just let the leader do his thing. VERY few QB's can do what he does while scrambling around.

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Some people on here were blaming Wilson for the lack of protection calls for the last 3 seasons, stating it was his inept ability to see what was going on and that it was all his fault. This article proves that he didn't have all the responsibility. Just like some mention he didn't get to audible out of plays until last year.

People want to see him be a Brady, or Manning, etc, this would be the best thing for him, it will show growth.

Something i notice is that this team takes it slow with Wilson since the beginning. You can see him progress, and the more that he learns, the more he's building a library of weapons for himself.

1st season: NFL Quarterbacking/Read Option
2nd season: Sideline Passes/Deep ball
3rd season: Middle of the field passes, audible
4th season: Pass Protection Calls

Remember Phillip Rivers didn't do the quick short passing game until 2 years ago, that was his first time, he was a deep ball guy just like Wilson, and ask yourself how long has Rivers been in the league?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
At this rate he will be able to audible out of plays when he's 35. Baby steps.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2jdix038 said:

This is one of the reasons some people have compared RW to McNabb. Regardless of how well spoken he is, we really don't know how well he innately understands what he's looking at and then, more importantly, dynamically troubleshoot it an alter a play with the clock running out.

Double that for Bevell, who doesn't even get the playcall out in a timely manner.

We ASSUME that RW is smart enough for this, but refer back to Aaron Rodgers snickering comments about audibles and the regularity of calling them. It's not that prevalent. Really only one guy has done it on a regular basis. You might say Brady, but even with him it's more of an overall understanding of their general gameplan, which he's a huge part of.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3uquuz6y said:
Hasselbeck":3uquuz6y said:

This is one of the reasons some people have compared RW to McNabb. Regardless of how well spoken he is, we really don't know how well he innately understands what he's looking at and then, more importantly, dynamically troubleshoot it an alter a play with the clock running out.

Double that for Bevell, who doesn't even get the playcall out in a timely manner.

We ASSUME that RW is smart enough for this, but refer back to Aaron Rodgers snickering comments about audibles and the regularity of calling them. It's not that prevalent. Really only one guy has done it on a regular basis. You might say Brady, but even with him it's more of an overall understanding of their general gameplan, which he's a huge part of.
You don't change Mr Shula's plays
-- Dan Marino when asked ho often he audibles.

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
vin.couve12":334k8ziq said:
Hasselbeck":334k8ziq said:

It's a wonder that Wilson running the 2 minute drills look alot better than anything Bevell can call. How many times have we seen Wilson lead his team down the field in the last 2 minutes and knew that he was going to score one way or another (besides the Superbowl).

Also Rogers, not about pass protection but play calling wise, have stated that he doesn't call his own plays, he even mention Peyton Manning doesn't either, so that tells me that they go by what their system tells them. I know Rogers is one of the best to ever play the game, but look at what Matt Flynn has been able to do in that system, and that's playing with the same WRs, TE's, etc. Green Bay is great offensively because they know how to get their guys open and knows what plays work, just like the same way we have a great defensive system here.

I hope this year we could do some quick short passing game, this will be beneficial, as stats have proved that under 2 seconds that Wilson is pretty good at it, just doesn't have many chances to do it.

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2e7yo1wr said:
Well, hope this helps improve blocking all around. Gonna need it against the Rams.

I'm hoping so.

If the line looks really good, will people give Wilson the credit or will it still go to Cable and the offensive line.

The line is a huge question mark and I'm actually thinking the line will be alot better than what people have seen in the preseason, but if pass protection goes up a notch I'm hoping people will give Wilson some credit for it, and if it fails then hopefully Wilson learns from it and continue to work on it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2svfg5na said:
chris98251":2svfg5na said:
So another year before he can audible?
Seems so. I'll take what I can get given it's about two years late already. Though it makes trading Unger despite not doing anything serious about our OL make total sense.

I wonder if I have time to change my season record prediction in Lon's contest to my original feeling of 14-2?

Either way the Rams are dead meat after this little twist.

Meh, I'm not so sure. With their DC, they do like to blitz a bit, but typically they get good pressure with their front 4. Our problems with the Rams have less to do with picking up the blitz, and more to do with losing individual matchups. I'd speculate that the Rams will see what kind of pressure they can get with their front 4 to start and leave any blitzing for run blitzing.

On the flip side, this makes me feel better about Nowak starting at Center. He can concentrate more on run fits and assignments and picking up blitzes, and not worry so much about line calls and what everyone else is supposed to do. This helps his transition a lot, and if Britt picks up LG quickly (no reason to think he won't), our OL woes might really only take 2-3 games to sort out. I'd really like to be firing on the run game by GB.

Anthony!

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2mv61fwo said:
Hasselbeck":2mv61fwo said:

Kind of agree but then again as pointed out when we are in hurry up or 2 minute and Wilson is pretty calling everything we move the ball and look great. SO we know he can do it, the question is, is he allowed to outside of hurry up and 2 minutes, and given what Rodgers said it seems the answer is probably not and that is true of just about all QBs.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Taking things slow with Wilson is a big reason why he's had so much success over his first three years in the league. Having an All-Pro type Center to make the calls for him surely helped. The issues with protection generally arose when Unger wasn't in the lineup.

I don't know if calling his own protections is necessarily a good or bad thing yet. How could we even begin to guess?

Latest posts