Winfield agreed in principle - 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
-The Glove-":m8026tdf said:
Dirty Bird":m8026tdf said:
For the record I think this is a good move. Low risk, high reward.
Then why the stupid question?
Cuz you guys were acting like you signed Darrelle Revis.

The Outfield

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":34558vvc said:
Dirty Bird":34558vvc said:
What's all the fuss about a guy who's turning 36 in June?

Slot corner was a huge need for us last year and Winfield was one of the best at that spot over the last few seasons.

Also, Winfield probably won't be playing anywhere near as many snaps as he was for Minnesota (almost 100%), which will cut down on injury risk and fatigue.

nategreat

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":w04og0ik said:
-The Glove-":w04og0ik said:
Dirty Bird":w04og0ik said:

Winfield is THE Darrelle Revis of slot corners. He may be getting up there in years, but he's played some of his best football these last few years. Age hasn't had much of an effect on him yet. We weren't looking for a #1 or #2 corner, we are set @ that. We were looking for a slot corner who could be dominant on nickel packages, as that was one of our biggest weaknesses last year on a great defense. Winfield is that missing piece.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":3mgbiua5 said:
-The Glove-":3mgbiua5 said:
Dirty Bird":3mgbiua5 said:

Lol what?

We are excited that we acquired one of the best slot guys in the league to complement an already immensely talented secondary. It was one of our biggest weaknesses last year, it's now patched with a great player on a team friendly contract.

@bluetalon: some of those skins quotes are gems. So bitter, it's deep.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":13rnnmdg said:
Dirty Bird":13rnnmdg said:

Slot corner was a huge need for us last year and Winfield was one of the best at that spot over the last few seasons.
Seahawks are making a lot of moves this year. Which means the front office and coaching staff probably believes Wilson has matured enough to lead your team read and is impervious to a sophomore slump. That's a lot of expectations/pressure for one player to handle. It'll be interesting too watch the Seahawks play this year.

Teqneek

Reaction score
We are acting like we signed the #1 ranked CB last year... to cover our slot.. and you are acting like hes apparently not any good.

Notice how the Redskin fan who commented on the Seahawks probably took our fourm post here about rooting for the Redskins before their was a team? And apparenty now none of our fans know that we have a football team?

I find this very fun, it only makes opposing fans look so ignorant that you can't help but laugh.. THeres not even a reason to respond because they do all the hard work for you.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
The Outfield":2h65seez said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2h65seez said:
Dirty Bird":2h65seez said:

Also, Winfield probably won't be playing anywhere near as many snaps as he was for Minnesota (almost 100%), which will cut down on injury risk and fatigue.
How often do the Seahawks use their nickel package?

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
I love what one guy in the redskin page pointed out. They have 56 pages discussing our signing... LOL. And we think the offseason is boring. Surely there must be a ballet or something to watch in DC. I mean last year RG3 danced around but we all know that thanks to cheap Snyder and shortsighted Shanahan RG3 won't be the same....

Maybe three more ACL years is what the Akins need for them to pony up some money for a new turf and then they can discuss that instead

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":2uvjxl7o said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2uvjxl7o said:
Dirty Bird":2uvjxl7o said:

Seahawks are making a lot of moves this year. Which means the front office and coaching staff probably believes Wilson has matured enough to lead your team read and is impervious to a sophomore slump. That's a lot of expectations/pressure for one player to handle. It'll be interesting too watch the Seahawks play this year.

A lot of moves? I wouldn't say that. People get so caught up in the headlines, and are not actually looking at the numbers and how these players actually fit into our team.

Separation by preparation. No chance Wilson slumps.

cacksman

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":2ve0k5o9 said:
-The Glove-":2ve0k5o9 said:
Dirty Bird":2ve0k5o9 said:

Um yeah no, guy. If we got Revis, half the board would be complaining because of cap and compensation reasons. Winfield is a perfect fit for our team(slot, run defender) at $3 million per year and no trade ramifications. There is no way to not LOVE this move.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":59gxko30 said:
The Outfield":59gxko30 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":59gxko30 said:

How often do the Seahawks use their nickel package?

Trufant played 35% of snaps to give you an idea.

cacksman

Reaction score
BlueTalon":348jf6sv said:
SeeHawkRun":348jf6sv said:
Nice discussion from the Vikes' forum on this matter. http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopi ... =1&t=25718
Redskins fans aren't too happy about it either. (I love the fact that they hate us so badly.)

"is he even going to start? Or is he a backup for the possible Aderall kid? I think he looked at who he thought have him the best chance to win a Super Bowl and he thinks they do. Their secondary is really good...but they still have a little QB (who I do like) behind a crappy o line. now that he is a Seahawk I have to hate him...."

"So let me get this right he waited all this time for a one year deal. This is either a joke or he's a moron."

"As Seahawk fans clasp hands and dance around the maypole....they are also claiming their secondary is the best in NFL history.....HISTORY. Maybe it will be, maybe it won't be....but I hate the arrogance in Hagland."

"They absolutely do not have a "MUCH" better roster than the Skins."

"I would like to add to that, they're also completely ignorant when it comes to football, or even their own team. Of course, not all of them, but I'd say a large majority. Heck Seahawks "fans" didn't even realize their town had a football team until Mike Holmgren got there. They thought the Seahawks were Washington DCs team. Actually, I've now met 2 friends who lived in Washington state for a number of years, and both really did think the Skins were in their state. Sadly, I've found this to be the norm for Seahawk fans, especially if you ever get to listen to their radio show and the people that call in."

"Have the Seahags, in their brief, boring history, ever been the hunted? Get ready cause Pappa's got a brand new bag...totally different as they shall soon see. I'm going to enjoy the NFC West this year. Don't sleep on the Rams either. It's going to be brutal. Remember when the NFC East used to beat the living crap out of each other to their own detriment? Well, what comes around goes around. Winfield is a bit player there-big whoop. Let's see if they have ZERO injuries this year. Take a look....they had almost no injuries....and they will be the hunted by everybody this year. To dam bad they don't have the replacement Ref's to bail them out of at least one game. They suck. Between their fans, the replacement ref thing, the fact that their player got off a suspension by "accidentally" cracking the cup (with a "hot" test-Sherm knew-good coaching), and Pete Carroll....they are nearly far and away my most despised team. Antoine, the sell out, just plays right into it-more reason to despise them. You are required to dislike your division, but the Seahags have found a special level of hate, for a variety of reasons, to me."

We are seriously becoming the most hated team in the league and I love it. The amount of ignorance is amazing to me! I like it better than everyone loving us and being America's team.

This will keep that chip on the shoulders of every player on the team.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
Ah, then Winfield will probably see about 70% of snaps then. On paper you guys have little to no holes but it's one of those things where you just have to wait and see how they perform before you crown em'.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":145c7xf3 said:
-The Glove-":145c7xf3 said:
Dirty Bird":145c7xf3 said:

We signed somebody better then Darrelle Revis, as far as fit on our team. We're excited, because we as fans of our team, know our needs more than anybody else.

You're a Falcon fan. Where do you feel you have holes on your team? Then imagine filling them all in one offseason on relatively cheap contracts, and you'd be ecstatic too.

We needed a playmaker: Check. Percy Harvin.
We needed pass rush help: Check. Avril and Bennett.
We sucked on 3rd down defense and need nickel help: Check. Winfield.

We don't think we're getting the best players in the NFL. But we are getting the best available players in the NFL for our specific needs. That's why we're excited.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":mbtsnzu0 said:
Ah, then Winfield will probably see about 70% of snaps then. On paper you guys have little to no holes but it's one of those things where you just have to wait and see how they perform before you crown em'.

It is offseason and we are 7 pages excited. redskins are 56 pages excited....I think we have a good perspective.

We could not stop the run at the end of the season, we have several underpaid key-players that has to be resigned in the next two years - we just signed in the key positions where we lacked to proved 1) a weapon for RW 2) pass-rush and 3) improvement against the run AND only one of those at a steep (hopefully reasonable for the production we shall see)

We should be excited especially lacking a first round pick this signing fits right into what most people wanted to see. Now draft smart and we build for the future.

EDIT: well what above posted while I was writing :)

BlueTalon

Reaction score
mikeak":v9p73k8v said:
I love what one guy in the redskin page pointed out. They have 56 pages discussing our signing... LOL. And we think the offseason is boring. Surely there must be a ballet or something to watch in DC. I mean last year RG3 danced around but we all know that thanks to cheap Snyder and shortsighted Shanahan RG3 won't be the same....

Maybe three more ACL years is what the Akins need for them to pony up some money for a new turf and then they can discuss that instead
In fairness, the first 55 pages were when it was still possible Winfield might go to the Redskins. Only the last 4 pages were after he agreed to terms with the Seahawks.

But I agree with your point about the Redskins' boring offseason. And about their crappy field.

drdiags

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":1a9ljmbp said:
-The Glove-":1a9ljmbp said:
Dirty Bird":1a9ljmbp said:

It's a Seahawks forum, what do you expect? Folks have looked at this in varying degrees of fan shades but excuse me if I don't appreciate some outsider trying to sober up the party. Your Geriatric is healthier than ours. Got it. Please go back to your neck of the woods, you have enlightened us and we are the wiser.

Reality check is coming down the road. Right now we are just drinking the Kool Aid. Just offer some aspirins when the hangover starts kicking in. Thanks!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Let's try Winfield at FS cause Earl needs his reps at nickel :mrgreen:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1jzsxnnw said:
@bluetalon: some of those skins quotes are gems. So bitter, it's deep.
Here are some more, from before the Seahawks became publicly interested in Winfield.

"Top rated or not, not sure I'd be happy about this signing"

"Pleeeeeeeeeeease make this happen. The only signing I've been hoping for this offseason. Perfect bridge until we get our cap $$$ back. He can still flat out ball."

"Winfield probably knows right now where he wants to play next year, even getting to wrap up his vacation on the cruise. Just wondering if he calls in to let us know his decision before he gets home today or Sunday or waits until Monday. It's good that we were the last team he met with before making his decision. Hopefully, our full court press left a lasting memory in him chosing us."

"IMO, the Redskins gives him the best chance to win a SB, therefore, I will remain hopeful that Winfield will reach this same conclusion and signs with the Redskins. This teams is on the rise!"

"Christian Ponder, AP and a bunch of nobodies vs. Robert, Alfred, Garcon, Davis, and a SB winning coach and division winning team. If I'm the 'Skins, I dare him to stay with the Vikings."

"Winfield is still a very good player. Not the elite cover guy he once was, but hard as nails. I'd love it if we signed him."

And then after the Seahawks became players...

"with this turnign into a how much you hate the seahawks thread.....first off screw the seahwks..... they can have winfield i really wanted him up untill he took their visit now i dont even care if they sign him i just dont want him......"

"I honestly feel he has no intention to go to Seattle. He wants to go back to minny, he's hoping the interest from seattle will make minny increase their offer because the cap strapped redskins weren't enough of a threat for minny to increase their offer. Here's to hoping he goes to minny if he isn't a redskin because I can't stand the seahawks."

"Dont know why people are surprised. This has been an obvious money grab all along, looking to strong arm the Vikes into more $$. He'll be back with Minny. Nobody goes to visit 4 teams then picks up and moves to Seattle of all places at 36 years old."

"Man I hate the Seahawks with a PASSION. I'm praying they collapse like the Eagles did when they signed that Dream Team. That would make me so giddy at night seeing their fans go through what we went through in 2000 and what the Eagles went through recently lol. GO 49ers lol"

It makes me smile. A lot. :mrgreen:

kearly

Reaction score
Love the signing, even if Seattle had paid more. Our team is making moves like they are the 2008 Celtics or the mid-90s Rockets. Those teams were aggressive because they had an old core and need to win immediately or else. Our team has a sense of urgency even though the vast majority of our teams core is age 26 and under. Amazing.

therealjohncarlson":1q1zrxoj said:
[youtube]FXRAsUOblV4[/youtube]

UmpOi

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.