Without ET at training camp, defense may be "tweaked"

hawknation2018

Reaction score
As for the players who are here, Carroll is excited about the flexibility he has at that position, particularly with Bradley McDougald, who started at both safety spots last year. Thursday’s practice opened with McDougald at strong safety and Tedric Thompson at free safety, but McDougald’s flexibility means a lot of options are in play, including Delano Hill playing strong safety with McDougald at free, or getting former Rams starter Maurice Alexander on the field. Mike Tyson, who played safety in college but moved to cornerback last season, also played safety on Thursday, as was also the case some in offseason workouts.

“We’re going to do some rotating to see these guys,” Carroll said. “The competition is on. This was the first time we got to see Mo Alexander; I’m excited to see what he can do. I was really impressed with what Mo did that I’ve seen in years past. He was unable to participate throughout the offseason. This was his first time on the field. We’ll ramp him up in the next five or six days. He’s ready to go, but I’m excited to see how he fits in as well. So, it’s a great competition. T2 (Thompson), he looks sweet. He’s looked great throughout all of the time we’ve had him. He’s got great feel for what’s going on. He’s a great studier, he’s had a fantastic offseason, and he looked great out here to get us going. He’s right in the middle of it all.”

Carroll noted that the team’s “tremendous flexibility” at safety means the Seahawks can just aim to “find the two best guys to play for us and figure out how to fit them in. For years, we’ve been coaching safeties based on their personal makeup and attributes, and we’ve had so much experience that we have different things that we can do with different guys. This is a real fascinating challenge to me to see how we tweak it and fix it so we can put these guys in the best position to get the most out of them. They’re not all the same. They’re different makeups, and Delano Hill is going to be a fantastic competitor in this one as well, so we’ll see how it goes.”

https://www.seahawks.com/news/six-obser ... ining-camp

Good to see Tedric Thompson is getting the first crack with the first team defense. Thompson is a highly instinctual ball hawk and great tackler, but he only ran a 4.60-second 40 at the combine. The thought of many is that Thompson is simply not fast enough to play in a single-high defense. I don't know if this is true. Thompson plays fast on the field. But it's interesting that they are contemplating altering the defense to play to everyone's strengths.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Fine with it. Either way Earl wont br here passed this year. Time to rebuild and let the new blood get some action.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3ahn5s8n said:
Fine with it. Either way Earl wont br here passed this year. Time to rebuild and let the new blood get some action.

They would almost certainly franchise tag him and then negotiate an extension. He's too important to this defense, IMO.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
hawknation2018":379ju9e4 said:
They would almost certainly franchise tag him and then negotiate an extension. He's too important to this defense, IMO.

I don't see that happening at all at this point. There is too much indignation especially from Earl's camp. ET's time as a Seahawk has run its course. If he does play at all for us this year I guarantee it is his last as a Seahawk. I heard he also went to the Raiders asking to come get him.

If he isn't traded before the season starts, he's gone after 2018.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Aros":3jpyiry5 said:
hawknation2018":3jpyiry5 said:

I don't see that happening at all at this point. There is too much indignation especially from Earl's camp. ET's time as a Seahawk has run its course. If he does play at all for us this year I guarantee it is his last as a Seahawk. I heard he also went to the Raiders asking to come get him.

If he isn't traded before the season starts, he's gone after 2018.

Indignation is irrelevant. Both sides are attempting reduce their risk. If the Seahawks gave Earl a contract extension now, they would risk him getting hurt during this season or the next. They simply cannot afford another Kam Chancellor situation, in which tens of millions of dollars in salary cap space have to be earmarked for an injured player who will never see the field. Earl needs to prove that he can play football at a high level for the long term. It makes no sense for the Seahawks to guarantee him more money until it is necessary to do so.

chris98251

Reaction score
Some of us have been saying all a long it's Pete's defense and he adjusts to the strengths of the players on the roster, we may see more Tampa 2 now if Earl isn't playing or more Big Dime type packages since he seems to be in love with his Safeties and the versatility they bring. Throw in big Corners and Thorpe playing well from what I read and there will be a lot of speed and bodies all over that teams have not seen yet. He is also liking our LB's and what they can do in Griffin and Martin who played mostly just DE in college but Pete is using as a String side who is doing well in dropping into pass coverage.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
That is not the framework of what was said. You're getting what you specifically want out of different statements. Tedric Thompson had more picks in practice last year in the existing structure of the defense than anyone else and he was picking off Russ and the first team offense. There was no mention of "since our only hope, early won kenobi, isn't here to save us...then we'll have to change things." That's way out of left field. This is agenda reporting exhibit A.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
'Tremendous Flexibility' is Pete's way of saying, oh crap, I hope one of these guys stick if I throw all of them at the wall. Even if they dont, i'm going to tell everybody that they are all awesome and i'm happy with each of them. :D

I love coaches building up their team.

Jville

Reaction score
I welcome this time of the year when they reset and look at different combinations. Given that the defense has been utilizing nickle backs more and more, this year's fresh mix of safeties facilitates a fresh look at further use of the big nickle.

I'm looking forward to following along with the next evolution of the Seahawk defense.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3r9cq2lc said:
Cyrus12":3r9cq2lc said:

No he isn't. The guy clearly doesn't want to play for the Seahawks anymore, and he has been a huge distraction. Carroll has not even tried discussing an extension. He has been a great player but his time here has run its course. I do not think he will sign for anything lower than Eric Berry's contract either. Between his antics, and retirement contemplation, I want no part of Earl anymore. He is nothing but a distraction at this point.

If Earl doesn't play, and our safeties look awful. guess what? Mitchell, Reid, and Vaccaro are sitting in free agency. Earl Thomas is an idiot.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
vin.couve12":xzcrjfa7 said:
That is not the framework of what was said. You're getting what you specifically want out of different statements. Tedric Thompson had more picks in practice last year in the existing structure of the defense than anyone else and he was picking off Russ and the first team offense. There was no mention of "since our only hope, early won kenobi, isn't here to save us...then we'll have to change things." That's way out of left field. This is agenda reporting exhibit A.

I don’t have an agenda. What do YOU think Carroll means when he says they have a “real fascinating challenge to me to see how we tweak it and fix it so we can put these guys in the best position to get the most out of them.”

Knock off the juvenile ad hominems, and tell us what you think they are considering tweaking and fixing. Thank you.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2xhn3bjn said:
Some of us have been saying all a long it's Pete's defense and he adjusts to the strengths of the players on the roster, we may see more Tampa 2 now if Earl isn't playing or more Big Dime type packages since he seems to be in love with his Safeties and the versatility they bring. Throw in big Corners and Thorpe playing well from what I read and there will be a lot of speed and bodies all over that teams have not seen yet. He is also liking our LB's and what they can do in Griffin and Martin who played mostly just DE in college but Pete is using as a Strong side who is doing well in dropping into pass coverage.

Completely agree with this. Besides that it is interesting that the team has added Mingo and re-upped Smith2 as strong side OLBs. The athleticism now available to the team at OLB is deep with Griffin and Martin and causes me to wonder if the team won’t be showing more 3-4 looks with some edge rush coming from the OLBs. The bodies the team has as well at DT and at DE causes you to wonder if that also is a sign of a possible change in base look from the D or an emphasis at least on getting faster outside.

Oh, fixed your spelling mistake which looked like an autocorrect typo.

I am very curious to see the changes on both D and O.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Haha...that's why I asked if anyone from .Net watched TC.

Then, someone can tell us if they are lining up single high Safety or playing Tampa 2 because the beat reporters are not going the extra mile with their observations.

Its great that the young guys are rotating in with the first team, but it would be great if someone, anyone, can tell us what the alignment is.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Tweaking to players' individual skill sets is simply good coaching. I'm looking forward to see who can rise.

Is what has been with Earl a true "single high" ?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It’s time for the guys in the secondary that had been here a few years to step it up. It’s a make a break year for those guys IMHO.

Are these guys the real deal or are they the next Tharold Simon or Jeremy Lane, who were raved about in practice and then would crap the bed in games.

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1yo2xamp said:
It’s time for the guys in the secondary that had been here a few years to step it up. It’s a make a break year for those guys IMHO.

Are these guys the real deal or are they the next Tharold Simon or Jeremy Lane, who were raved about in practice and then would crap the bed in games.

Ya lost me. Who are all the guys who have been around for a few years?

Purtin near all of the secondary was signed/added either this year or last year.

Roster churn at its best!

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1024354002463379457[/tweet]

AgentDib

Reaction score
Mo is in that group of veterans who we know can play but have durability concerns; he's missed fifteen games over the previous three seasons. The 53 man roster can support having one or two of these guys but not nearly as many as we have in camp so I see many losing their spots to younger guys.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
AgentDib":37otbzz0 said:
Mo is in that group of veterans who we know can play but have durability concerns; he's missed fifteen games over the previous three seasons. The 53 man roster can support having one or two of these guys but not nearly as many as we have in camp so I see many losing their spots to younger guys.

Alexander has been great against the run but pretty questionable in covering space. It does give us a more physical, hard hitting guy at SS in the box, with the faster McDouglad covering a lot of space in the back end.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Coach Norton had to reiterate to a reporter twice today that the scheme doesn't change because of the absence of Earl.

The NFL is a business. Don't get sold on lies about "legends" altering entire defenses. They're just that: lies. The NFL is full of BS big fish stories since it existed.

Latest posts