WR competition got more complex

General Manager

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1vh0wtzk said:
Watching that clip it occurs to me how much fun it would be to see Lockette split wide on one side with Richardson split to the other side. What would the safety do if we sent them both on a full on sprint? Then have Russ toss it to Percy. That said I bet Mathews is the next man up.

Lockette has never seen any real playing time at WR in Seattle they just drafted two WR's in the draft and now all of a sudden there going to go to him I don't see it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
General Manager":1w74flqa said:
Chris Matthews 6'5 ran a 4.5 most outstanding rookie of the year in the CFL is 24 years old. Why some of you are aren't giving him any chance of making the team is strange. With the retirement of Rice he has a legit shot to make this team if he plays well.

If he plays well is the key phrase. He hasn't played yet. Anyone has a chance but it's more realistic having him as the long shot right now. The team is most likely going to keep 5-6 WR. 6 has always been the max and we're a run first team.

Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, and Richardson are going to make the final 53. That gives you 1-2 spots for any remaining players.
Norwood has the inside track as a drafted player in a Deep WR class and Lockette really showed his worth as a gunner.
We cut Harper, a 4th rd draft pick, last year in a weaker WR class and he didn't last a week on the PS before being signed. We likely won't be able to stash Norwood.

Keep in mind he was signed before the draft which means they didn't know that they would finish the draft with both Richardson and Norwood.

General Manager

Reaction score
Basis4day":19mte3du said:
General Manager":19mte3du said:
Chris Matthews 6'5 ran a 4.5 most outstanding rookie of the year in the CFL is 24 years old. Why some of you are aren't giving him any chance of making the team is strange. With the retirement of Rice he has a legit shot to make this team if he plays well.

If he plays well is the key phrase. He hasn't played yet. Anyone has a chance but it's more realistic having him as the long shot right now. The team is most likely going to keep 5-6 WR. 6 has always been the max and we're a run first team.

Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, and Richardson are going to make the final 53. That gives you 1-2 spots for any remaining players.
Norwood has the inside track as a drafted player in a Deep WR class and Lockette really showed his worth as a gunner.
We cut Harper, a 4th rd draft pick, last year in a weaker WR class and he didn't last a week on the PS before being signed. We likely won't be able to stash Norwood.

Keep in mind he was signed before the draft which means they didn't know that they would finish the draft with both Richardson and Norwood.

Yes this is all speculation training camp is around the corner and things will become a lot clearer. I'd agree he has an uphill battle but he's young has experience and he's the only 6'5 WR on the roster.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":jb45zims said:
Lockette is probably going to be the 6th guy. Forget the number of plays, the raw ability he showed as a gunner was off the charts. Not a lot of teams have 6'3", 4.3 forty guys at gunner.
That and Baldwin wants more material to keep relaying to Cris Carter.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Basis4day":354hupwn said:
General Manager":354hupwn said:

Harper didnt even last a day he was signed away by SF the same day we intended to place him on the PS, he's now interesting enough on green bays roster. I agree I think Mathews was signed as insurance before the draft, he's also dealing with injuries through otas. I think he's got an uphill battle to make the team.