WR Riley Cooper gets $25 mil / 5 years: Golden Tate impact?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1ew7hyxp said:
DavidSeven":1ew7hyxp said:
I know you'd love to see SEA break the bank on Tate, but it ain't happening.

:lol:

It's not a conspiracy. I've posted about how much I like Tate repeatedly since I started posting here.

And nice job of punting on my question. If you'd trade Tate straight up for Meachem, Amendola, or Hartline, by all means, just say so, man. If not, you're just wolfing.

As for your link, even though you won't answer my question, I'll still answer yours. As a FA I'd prefer Tate to easily 50% of the guys in the 7-9 million salary range.

That's Steve Johnson, Mike Williams, Colston, Steve Smith, Sidney Rice, Antonio Brown, Anquan Boldin, Santonio Homes, Pierre Garcon, Victor Cruz, Roddy White, Greg Jennings, and Miles Austin.

With age and injury involved the only folks in that group I'd definitely put Tate above on a new contract would be Cruz and then maybe Brown and Garcon. The rest is debatable at best for me. It's precisely why I said if the 9ers had the cap room I'd hope they sign Tate for 5/35 in a heartbeat. That's between Brian Hartline and Steve Johnson money. He's DEFINITELY worth that to me. Maybe not to you.

If you think his peers are guys like Nate Burleson, Riley Cooper and Lance Moore more power to you.

I'd rather sign Boldin on a shorter deal and groom a young guy to replace him. Its not about Goldens ability, its about the price tag and the need to sign other players.

I know you used the "if there was cap room" caveat, but I can't turn that part of my brain off. :) If cap room wasn't an issue there are a ton of players I'd be looking at. :D

Seattle is probably looking at this in a similar light. They are also looking at getting Harvin back.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":1czg879q said:
They are also looking at getting Harvin back.

I can't wait to see a truly 100% healthy Harvin next season. Calling him "electric" is an insult.

:3:

:179417:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah, looooooooove Harvin when he's playing. Even after the debacle of last year I still think that was a great signing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Popeyejones":xz6hhj00 said:
^^^^ Yeah, looooooooove Harvin when he's playing. Even after the debacle of last year I still think that was a great signing.
I hope he holds up physically; he's still young, (he'll be 26 to start the 2014 season) but after watching the Saints headhunt him in the playoffs, I'm a little concerned he might get targeted for some extra "love" by enemy defenders on various teams.

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ycmbbpi said:
Popeyejones":1ycmbbpi said:
I hope he holds up physically; he's still young, (he'll be 26 to start the 2014 season) but after watching the Saints headhunt him in the playoffs, I'm a little concerned he might get targeted for some extra "love" by enemy defenders on various teams.

Yeah, I sort of get the feeling our D's going need to send a message when we play the Saints and Rams. "Anything you can do, I can do better."

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":xxe7no8x said:
Yeah, I sort of get the feeling our D's going need to send a message when we play the Saints and Rams. "Anything you can do, I can do better."
I don't think quoting popular songs from Broadway musicals will get the job done. :)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":1g9qa903 said:
I know you used the "if there was cap room" caveat, but I can't turn that part of my brain off. :) If cap room wasn't an issue there are a ton of players I'd be looking at. :D

Yeah, TBF I think some of our good friends up north have been lucky enough to not have to start adjusting their thinking until now, and might still be fortunate enough to be a year off from really "getting it."

Basically, take the Bennetts and Tates of your team and consider yourself incredibly, incredibly lucky if you only lose almost all of them. Then start getting comfortable with the next tier up of guys, the pro-bowlers and second-tier all pros just walking away. You get at most two or three really special players, and then three or four very important players in the next price range down, and for everyone else you have to fill up with players in their first contracts (you better hit on them!), guys from your practice squad who you got on extensions (you better hit on them!), and aging vets to fill the pieces in (you better hit on them!).

It's really remarkable to me that in less than a year 9ers fans writ large have gone from thinking it is unimaginable that the team would lose a nice second tier piece like Walker or Francois to being completely fine with having lost an All Pro like Goldson and just treating the soon-to-be loss of another All Pro in Iupati as obvious and not that interesting.

It really is a different mindset. The 9ers haven't had to head all the way down the above described hole yet, but the thinking among 9ers fans has DEFINITELY changed.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
When I saw what Cooper got in his contract it got me excited. :th2thumbs: IMO Cooper is now overpaid. He puts up decent numbers for the first time in his career against the dumpster fire teams of the NFC East and he gets that nice contract. This bodes well for the 'Hawks who will sign Tate to a similar deal, though it wouldn't surprise me if Tate's new contract will be for 3 or 4 years instead of 5+.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":29t6rbwy said:
When I saw what Cooper got in his contract it got me excited. :th2thumbs: IMO Cooper is now overpaid. He puts up decent numbers for the first time in his career against the dumpster fire teams of the NFC East and he gets that nice contract. This bodes well for the 'Hawks who will sign Tate to a similar deal, though it wouldn't surprise me if Tate's new contract will be for 3 or 4 years instead of 5+.
That's my first thought especially given he will sell his soul to be here. Basically the market for FA WR's is SOFT because of this ridiculous draft concerning wide receivers. We will be able to get a stud regardless of if we go wide receiver in the 1st or 2nd round. That never happens.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I rather pay Tate 2yr 15Mil than a 5yr 30Mil, gives us time to groom a big WR in the draft.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Wenhawk":305i2p5m said:
I rather pay Tate 2yr 15Mil than a 5yr 30Mil, gives us time to groom a big WR in the draft.

Why? Cooper's deal is basically only guaranteed for two years anyway. The guaranteed amount is the only amount that matters. The team only stands to win with the extra non-guaranteed years. If the player outperforms his deal after two years, he remains locked up. If he doesn't live up to it, then you release him.

Btw, Clayton says Cooper's deal only works out to $4.5M/yr at most w/o incentives. Never overreact to the initial report on contract numbers.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Wenhawk":323w3sqy said:

I can't imagine a 25 y/o would take a two year deal unless he absolutely had to. If 1) the Hawks don't get an extension done before March 11 (who knows) and 2) he doesn't attract any attention
on the FA market (I'd be surprised) I could see him coming back for a one or two year deal. That's a scenario in which everything has gone wrong for him though, and it's still no guarantee because we don't know how the Hawks envision their salary cap moving forward.*

Honestly, Tate @ 25 y/o reminds me of Hines Ward. Hines Ward didn't have his breakout season until he was 26 (at 25 he had 670 yards and 4 TDs, at that point his best year). I don't think Tate will ever put up Ward's #s in the Hawks' offense, but I think he could and would somewhere. TBH from a raw skills perspective I think Tate is a little better than Hines Ward, but again, I like him a lot more than most.

*One thing I've learned in watching the 9ers do this so far is that the players' "discount" doesn't usually matter that much. The difference between 8 million and 6 million for a player isn't that big when you're budgeting for a whole roster. I'd guess that like the 9ers, the Hawks org already knows who they're not going to even compete for or keep around, and who from their own roster they're really going to target. Tate could be a guy they're budgeting in for by planning on letting other talent walk, or a guy who, no matter what happens, just isn't going to be back on the team. Having watched this process with the 9ers as a fan it really is frustrating.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There is no Riley Cooper impact. I am convinced Tate has been asking for more than this anyway, and as per Tate himself, the Cooper contract is a different deal.

Tate adds a punt returner premium, a massive YAC factor, and there is a simple reality Seattle will have to face signing it's own receivers, which is that teams that throw the ball a lot more than we do will be very attractive to our free agents. They know a lot of that pedestrian label is tied to how few opportunities they actually get, and it is a factor to consider.

I know if I was Tate I would not sign before free agency opens. I think his market will be a robust one.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":398m1vxq said:
Honestly, Tate @ 25 y/o reminds me of Hines Ward. Hines Ward didn't have his breakout season until he was 26 (at 25 he had 670 yards and 4 TDs, at that point his best year). I don't think Tate will ever put up Ward's #s in the Hawks' offense, but I think he could and would somewhere. TBH from a raw skills perspective I think Tate is a little better than Hines Ward, but again, I like him a lot more than most.

I've seen Steelers fans say this same thing. The clutch catches, the YAC, the downfield blocking, etc.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I guess this means they're getting rid of Maclin. (Who would've been the true #2 for Philly.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3arsrs8k said:
Sarlacc83":3arsrs8k said:
I guess this means they're getting rid of Maclin. (Who would've been the true #2 for Philly.

I'd be fine with bringing Maclin in on a flyer. Might not be the best move for him in the long run, though.

I imagine his ACL is shot.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3us0ocnc said:
volsunghawk":3us0ocnc said:
Sarlacc83":3us0ocnc said:

I'd be fine with bringing Maclin in on a flyer. Might not be the best move for him in the long run, though.

So you're saying his price will be low? :mrgreen:

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":tnfq0vyv said:
Sarlacc83":tnfq0vyv said:
volsunghawk":tnfq0vyv said:
Sarlacc83":tnfq0vyv said:

People complain about Sidney Rice not being healthy. I can't imagine what they'd say about Jeremy.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2sdxdhxk said:
volsunghawk":2sdxdhxk said:
Sarlacc83":2sdxdhxk said:
volsunghawk":2sdxdhxk said:

People complain about Sidney Rice not being healthy. I can't imagine what they'd say about Jeremy.

On this board, they'd be super happy about him for about a week and a half. Maybe three weeks if his contract was team friendly. It's not until they become Seahawks that .NET starts hating on guys bad.