Wrong on Alex Collins

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ACFan":5mt8a561 said:
I'm only surprised that it took this long for AC to get the opportunity, maybe conditioning, or learning to play at a new weight was an issue?

I felt he was the most complete back on the team at the start of the year, he can play every down.

Maybe next week he'll get a whole game's worth of opportunities and not just the 2nd half.

Your offense can be so much more effective if you are a threat to run power plays right at the D on occasion.

I'd like to see us be a threat to pound on teams with Reece and Collins from here on out and into the playoffs.

When your O Line struggles, get them fired up and have them road grade some, they have to be able to do that, you don't have to be extremely talented or experienced to run power.

Soften the D with Reece and Collins, it'd make RWs job so much easier, bring in Rawls and CJ for a change of pace.
The only problem is that our ZBS doesn't use many power formations. Cable tailoring his scheme to maximize an RB's strenghts is a pipe dream at best. He will ram ZBS down their throats, so they best be able to do it his way or hit the highway.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":2tpwzdnq said:
I thought he looked pretty terrible
OK, Skip. You basing that off his fumble?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
scutterhawk":vdddq6xw said:
seabowl":vdddq6xw said:
We'll see. One game doesn't change my opinion on what he had shown prior to today.
You weren't impressed with watching him run like a man possessed? lol
I thought that he took advantage of his limited play time opportunity, and looked pretty good, considering.
It's Seabowl...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3t9ahldc said:
I would love to rest Rawls and see more of Collins against SF
I'd like to see how he does with the brunt of carries and Rawl's Jitterbug style as a change of pace.

ACFan

Reaction score
Hawks46":2xclncrt said:
You're a big Collins fan, and you seem pretty knowledgeable about him, so I'll ask this:

You say he's going to look slower than jitterbugs and guys like Pope and Rawls, yet he runs the same speed as them out of college: around a 4.55. Is he faster than quick ?

I assumed Rawls and Pope had a better 40 time than 4.55 ( I know C-Mike did) His quickness/burst stood out in college more to me than his speed. I never thought he had bad speed, it would just be down the list of his top attributes.

Next, we've been talking about Collins as a 'big power back" or a larger RB and he had to lose weight, but he was listed at 217 at the combine; less than Rawls or CMike. Did he gain weight before he got to the team ? Was he out of shape ?

Like his top end speed, he also has good power, but I'd also put that further down the list of his best attributes. You think of a power back as someone who will run over you or push the pile, and while AC can and will do that, one of his best attributes is that he is going to make you miss him, keep you from getting a clean shot at him. Being stood up and slung back, or just getting nailed very hard, is something that you almost never saw happen to AC.

I honestly think he may have gotten out of shape some, not sure how that happens at the pro level, or how not playing much affects that. He was used to always playing, and staying in top shape during the season when you don't hardly play may have been a challenge for him.

The worst trouble he ever got in during college was being late for morning practice a few times because he'd stay up late playing video games the night before. Coach Beliema had him run around the practice field with a mattress on his back as punishment. I can still see that big smile on AC's face (probably embarassed) running around with that mattress on his back, haha.

Good kid, good character, very coachable, but I wouldn't be surprised if he let himself go somewhat if someone wasn't staying on him about it.

He never really looked slow in college and he played in the SEC. There's ton of athletes there and not much of a lack of speed, yet his top end looked fine on tape. I'd have to surmise that he wasn't seeing things right and he was slow to read and hit the hole. What do you think it was ?

HIs college resume is hands better than any Seahawk RB since Lynch, and I think it was probably a little better than Lynch's as well.

I've said it before in this thread. I think the ability to sense the hole and read the defense, (his #1 attribute IMO) has had an adjustment period, probably due to the speed of the game, but especially due to a completely different blocking scheme. It appears he is getting it back.

The great ones see things unfold a half step before everyone else, that keeps them healthy and productive for a lot of years. If that ability translates to the pros for Collins, then I predict he will be our stud RB for many years to come.

ACFan

Reaction score
One last thought on the science of AC's running style. (and I know I talk too much about it :) )

When most RB's "juke" there is a lot more East-West movement, and northerly movement loses both speed and power.

When Collins jukes, there is only a subtle East-West movement, and he maintains a lot more speed and power in his northerly movement. (choppy steps!)

He jukes to avoid trouble, rather than get out of it (sees a half step ahead!)

80% of the time he is tackled by glancing blows, while falling forward.

HIs 6th year now of playing RB, and he has yet to miss a game due to injury. I haven't conclusively been able to find another RB who has a resume that matched that, ever.

That is a significant point, because we are talking about a LOT of carries, yards and TDs he's held up to. It is a tell-tale sign of his abilities and bodes very well for being a franchise back IMO.