X’s and O’s help Please.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1vbwq7g9 said:
I'm curious to find where my impression of 1st down failure is coming from. Maybe it is bias. Perhaps breaking it down by half will show me what I'm thinking of, because I know the first half has been a different story than the second half.

If not, well, then it is third down - i.e. those nine fatal third-down drops vs the 49ers and Titans, plus Wilson's poor play.

I would be curious too. I really think if we delved into it deep, we would find that it was just plain misplays. Dropped passes. Missed reads on the blocking. Missing wide open players. General inaccuracy where easy catches were made tough and contributed to incompletions. There were so many yards left on the field. And it feels like literally every player on the offense outside of Baldwin played a significant part.

Honestly, if it was that, then I think I'd be kind of bullish on our offense going forward. If you are good enough to create the opportunities, then that's likely predictive going forward.

netskier

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1eik4nem said:
MontanaHawk05":1eik4nem said:
I'm curious to find where my impression of 1st down failure is coming from. Maybe it is bias. Perhaps breaking it down by half will show me what I'm thinking of, because I know the first half has been a different story than the second half.

If not, well, then it is third down - i.e. those nine fatal third-down drops vs the 49ers and Titans, plus Wilson's poor play.

I would be curious too. I really think if we delved into it deep, we would find that it was just plain misplays. Dropped passes. Missed reads on the blocking. Missing wide open players. General inaccuracy where easy catches were made tough and contributed to incompletions. There were so many yards left on the field. And it feels like literally every player on the offense outside of Baldwin played a significant part.

Honestly, if it was that, then I think I'd be kind of bullish on our offense going forward. If you are good enough to create the opportunities, then that's likely predictive going forward.

I agree with many of the comments above, and just want to point out that the first 15 plays of the game are special in that they are scripted to probe the defense.

After the probing has finished, the OC then calls the rest of the plays based upon the results of the probes, plus whatever seems to be working, who has the hot hand, etc.

So, to compare the halves, I think it makes sense to NOT count the first fifteen probing plays, but only the post-15 plays. Otherwise, your comparison is biased by the probing.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
netskier":2mpbxgjk said:
Attyla the Hawk":2mpbxgjk said:
MontanaHawk05":2mpbxgjk said:

I agree with many of the comments above, and just want to point out that the first 15 plays of the game are special in that they are scripted to probe the defense.

After the probing has finished, the OC then calls the rest of the plays based upon the results of the probes, plus whatever seems to be working, who has the hot hand, etc.

So, to compare the halves, I think it makes sense to NOT count the first fifteen probing plays, but only the post-15 plays. Otherwise, your comparison is biased by the probing.

If the first 15 plays are scripted (and I believe you; I've heard this too), in reality that could reasonably be 5 possessions! :shock: If we get a holding or false start penalty, then the 3-yard run gain gets wiped out, and our test of the defense... wait a second, maybe the false starts contribute to different defensive looks too, so maybe even the penalties are scrip...

:177692: