Zags 2016/2017 Thread

CPHawk

Reaction score
You all are forgetting, Arizona didn't have Trier or PJC for your one big win. The committee won't forget that.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2asrmn6g said:
Hawk-Lock":2asrmn6g said:
Yeah Zag fans shouldn't be too worried about the loss. In the end, it's probably a good thing for them. Less pressure, and I'm a believer that you need a loss to keep focus.

Most likely Zags drop to a #2 seed. When the seedings first came out a week or two ago, the Zags weren't the top #1 seed, meaning if they lost a game they'd likely fall to a #2 seed.

Assuming nothing crazy happens in the conference tourneys, Villanova, UNC and Kansas should all be #1 seeds. I think the last spot likely goes to the winner of the Pac-12 tournament assuming either Arizona, Oregon or UCLA win it.

As far as resume's go, I'd probably put all three of those Pac-12 schools ahead of Gonzaga. They are all very close.

Like someone else mentioned. The tourney is all about matchups and luck.
I agree that a 1 or 2 seed isn't much of a difference as long as its still in the West bracket. It is ridiculous to say that UCLA or Arizonas' resumes are even as good as Gonzagas' let alone better. Oregon I suppose an anrgument could be made but I wouldn't agree with it.
Of the three teams I think only Oregon has a chance to jump the Zags and as long as the Zags win their tournament I doubt that Oregon does.

Here are ther resumes so far.

Oregon: RPI (1-50) (51-100 )(101-150) (150+)
( 4-2) (11-1) ( 3-1) (7-0)

Arizona (4-4) (8-0) (5-0) (9-0)

Ucla (5-3) (6-0) (3-0) (12-0)

Gonzaga (5-0) (5-1) (6-0) (13-0)

No Pac 12 team has more top 50 wins than the Zags but all have more losses and while Oregon has more top 100 wins their worst loss is much worse than the zags and they have three top 100 losses to go along with their sub 100 loss.

In short you have to have your Pac 12 glasses on to claim they have better resumes or even equal. Joe Lunardi has the Zags as a 1 as does CBS as well.

The big thing going against Gonzaga is their SOS, right now it is 104. In the end, you have to penalize them for playing in the WCC. I'm aware they did well in the non-conference, but you have to take into account Gonzaga has only played one tournamet team in the past couple months (St Mary's). Personally, I think losing a close game on the road to a tournament team is better than blowing out a bunch of scrubs like San Diego or Portland. They could still get a #1 seed, but they no longer control their own destiny. They will likely need someone other than UNC, Kansas or the three big Pac-12 teams to win their conference tournaments.

Tical21

Reaction score
Let's go Zags!! This is our year! Elite 8 or bust!!

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Im still holding out hope the Zags get a 1 seed.......They can't be the first team in history to lose to a 16 if they're not a 1.... :)

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
In the end, it doesn't really matter if they are a #1 or #2 seed. This isn't pro sports where you get home court advantage. Plenty of weaker seeds get better paths than a better seed.

Tical21

Reaction score
Crizilla":2loejaem said:
Tical21":2loejaem said:
Let's go Zags!! This is our year! Elite 8 or bust!!

you mean Final Four? This might be Few's best team.
lol at the thought of the Zags winning four straight against teams more athletic than them.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see the seeding today. I think the Zags are a 1 seed in the west and Arizona is a 1 in the south.

Do they discount Dukes 8 losses, 91 first ranked non con schedule, not playing an away game till conference play, fifth place conference finish, and losing three of four games before their tourney run and give them a one seed?
A lot of talking heads are pushing for it but I doubt it happens.

I think Oregon may get pushed to a three seed after losing Boucher which is unfortunate.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zona and Zags can't both be #1's.

Nova and KU are locks for the #1. The ACC is the best conference, either UNC or Duke will be the third #1. Then it comes down to Gonzaga or Arizona. Gonzaga beat Arizona earlier this season, I think Zags get it. Nova, KU, UNC and Zags would be my guess. Although I could see Duke replacing UNC now that they won their conference tournament.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Duke isn't even the top 2 seed. Nor did they deserve to be. Losses should matter.

Also the zags are a lock for a one seed.

Oregon deserved a 2 seed but like I thought they bumped them down a line because of the Boucher injury.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Oregon got a great draw.

Creighton is struggling. They lost their star PG, Mo Watson, midway through the season. They are nothing special, I actually think Rhode Island will upset them. Bottom part of that bracket is tough with Louisville and Michigan. Michigan is scary good right now and has a lot of momentum. If Louisville can get by Michigan in the second round, I like them to win that region.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":qtj57egi said:
Oregon got a great draw.

Creighton is struggling. They lost their star PG, Mo Watson, midway through the season. They are nothing special, I actually think Rhode Island will upset them. Bottom part of that bracket is tough with Louisville and Michigan. Michigan is scary good right now and has a lot of momentum. If Louisville can get by Michigan in the second round, I like them to win that region.
I agree, I also think Kansas is overrated overall. Good team but not great.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3ub8bw44 said:
Hawk-Lock":3ub8bw44 said:
Oregon got a great draw.

I agree, I also think Kansas is overrated overall. Good team but not great.

Agreed. They played a lot of close games this year but were able to pull out games late. They are very thin upfront.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think Zags got a good draw. They should get into the Sweet 16 easily. Neither Vandy or Northwestern is that good. ND and WVU are good, but I think Zags can get by them. WVU could be tough as they full court press you very hard, but Zags have the guards to beat the press. Bottom part of the bracket is tougher with Arizona, VCU, St Mary's, and Florida St. I think we see a rematch of Gonzaga and Arizona. If I had to pick, I'd take Arizona over them.

Crizilla

Reaction score
easiest road to final four the zags have ever had. Final Four or BUST!

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags should make the sweet sixteen. I think Saint Mary's has a tough draw with VCU. If they can get by them I am highly interested in the Arizona match up as well.
They managed to guarantee either a rematch with Arizona or a fourth game against SMC.
Seems like they could have put them one different bracket but whatever.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Florida St is probably the most talented team in that region, but they remind me so much of Romar's old Washington teams. Full of talent but poorly coached and don't run any offense. The more I look at it, the more I like the draws for Gonzaga and Arizona. I think they meet in a great westcoast Elite 8 matchup.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
That looks very likely. Both coaches looking to bust through to the final four. Good story line I guess.

Latest posts