Mediocrity of 2013 Draft

jkitsune

Reaction score
Still very, very early to ultimately judge the outcome of this draft.

That said, I don't feel too bad about the draft, particularly in the context of how weak it has been overall.

Christine Michael may or may not pan out. We will see, ultimately, depending on what happens with Marshawn Lynch.

Jordan Hill has been playing well above his draft stock the last 5-6 weeks, and could become an important 'starter' (quotations added since we rotate so heavily) for our defense in Mebane's place in a year or two.

Chris Harper's obviously not here

Jesse Williams sadly has been injured and may not work out

Tharold Simon has shown flashes of brilliance, and people forget that earlier this year, people were raving about how good he looked. One bad game in the playoffs will have that effect, but I think he'll be a good player for us, particularly compared to his 5th-round slot.

Luke Willson is a similar case. Showing flashes above the level of a 5th-rounder, but inconsistent. Still pretty good for a 2nd TE, with the potential to be better.

Spencer Ware, Ryan Seymour (who???), Ty Powell, Jared Smith, and Michael Bowie obviously also haven't worked out. Remember when Bowie looked like a huge steal?

At any rate, pending Michael, Hill, Simon, and Willson, this could still wind up being a significant draft for us down the road.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jkitsune":3vly789w said:
Still very, very early to ultimately judge the outcome of this draft.

That said, I don't feel too bad about the draft, particularly in the context of how weak it has been overall.

Christine Michael may or may not pan out. We will see, ultimately, depending on what happens with Marshawn Lynch.

Jordan Hill has been playing well above his draft stock the last 5-6 weeks, and could become an important 'starter' (quotations added since we rotate so heavily) for our defense in Mebane's place in a year or two.

Chris Harper's obviously not here

Jesse Williams sadly has been injured and may not work out

Tharold Simon has shown flashes of brilliance, and people forget that earlier this year, people were raving about how good he looked. One bad game in the playoffs will have that effect, but I think he'll be a good player for us, particularly compared to his 5th-round slot.

Luke Willson is a similar case. Showing flashes above the level of a 5th-rounder, but inconsistent. Still pretty good for a 2nd TE, with the potential to be better.

Spencer Ware, Ryan Seymour (who???), Ty Powell, Jared Smith, and Michael Bowie obviously also haven't worked out. Remember when Bowie looked like a huge steal?

At any rate, pending Michael, Hill, Simon, and Willson, this could still wind up being a significant draft for us down the road.

Michael Bowie was a nice one-year "rental," as a part-time starter at RT and RG.

kearly

Reaction score
So far it's looking like a solid draft, just not at the top. Everyone said at the time that it was a great draft to pick later, and that has proven true in retrospect.

I think the surprising thing about that draft for me was how the OL prospects have bombed so emphatically. It was considered to be the best OL group ever, and the only two pro-bowlers from that group were the 7th and 8th OL drafted. Of course, OL usually takes some time to acclimate to the NFL and maybe this group looks very different in a few years, but I expected that group to look much better out of the gate.

The part that bugged me the most about the Harvin trade when it went down that year was that it might have cost us DeAndre Hopkins, who I badly wanted for the Hawks at the time. Who knows who the Hawks draft, my guess would have been Datone Jones who's looked okay. Hopkins would have been sweet.

drrew

Reaction score
Not sure it's really that weak.

Le'Veon Bell is a top 5 HB. Eddie Lacy is close to that.

Kyle Juszcyk will be the best FB in the league within another year or two.

Deandre Hopkins just put up a 1200 yard season without a NFL caliber QB throwing to him. Keenan Allen took a step back, but has star potential.

Travis Frederick is the best run blocking C in the league.

Sheldon Richardson and Ezekiel Ansah both look like star D linemen with Star Lotuleilei and Kawaan Short not far behind.

Jamie Collins is one of the best non Seattle non Carolina LBs in the league. Kiko Alonso looked like a star, we'll see how he recovers from injury, but he has the talent/nose for the ball.

Desmond Trufant is a very very good not quite elite CB.

I haven't compared it to other years, but that's a fair amount of high end talent and there a bunch of guys who really came on last season.