Melvin Gordon

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Apparently Schneider has visited Wisconsin twice. Gordon is an incredibly hard working player. Ill take a bigger j Charles anyday. .. even if we sign Lynch, I think we move up to mid teens to get him despite the trade down hx. I think Schneider loves this guy and wants him

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Well, I could definitely see why.

It's not often you see a player of his skill set and desire in one package. If you were to line up all of the prospects in this draft at any position, I'd defy anyone to put up a player who has demonstrated a similar desire to improve and work at his craft.

He's a RB version of Watt and Wilson in that regard. Guys who work relentlessly to improve. Almost desperately so.

This is a player who, barring injury, should get considerably better in the pros. Considering where he's starting from, that's impressive.

It's also worth considering, that when we discuss life after Lynch -- it may well be wise to consider that finding the next Lynch is a fool's errand. Like finding the next Wilson. They are just two unique cats who don't really have a mold. Whatever RB we end up with once Lynch is done, is going to have to be the best version of himself. Not try to be like the next reincarnation of Lynch. There are many equally effective ways of having a good rushing attack. We don't need the next Lynch to continue our rushing acumen.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
We will adore him. But he won't get to us. He could be that perennial 1000 rushing, 500 receiving, 10TD guy.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think it's hilarious that everyone keeps thinking that we're going to have 2 RBs go in the 1st round this year, one predicted very high and one with a torn ACL predicted in the latter part of the 1st round.

Last year was the first year that no mock drafts had a RB predicted to go in the 1st round, if I remember correctly. It's been what, 3 or 4 years since a RB was taken in the 1st round ? I thought Lacy was, but looked it up and he's a 2nd rounder. Richardson maybe ? How did that work out ?

We have a few factors here: first is how are other positional groups looking ? If it's a strong WR class at the top, no way does a RB make the 1st round. I've read the OT class is good this year, that's at least 3-4 picks out of the 1st round. CB's are becoming more and more in demand with an average of 3 selected in the 1st round the last 3 years.

I don't scout enough to know what the general draft class looks like, but it's human nature to project our needs onto all the other teams. Teams know running the ball is important, especially looking at our success recently. They don't think it's important enough to invest a 1st round pick into a RB. This is a league wide trend going back 3 or 4 years. I don't see it changing any time soon, especially with all the RBs having success coming from the middle rounds.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
When Schneider talks about finding players that "tilt" the field, I can't think of any player that does it more in this years draft than Gordon

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3gr7gheq said:
When Schneider talks about finding players that "tilt" the field, I can't think of any player that does it more in this years draft than Gordon

DGB. Watching him against Auburn in 2013 was pretty impressive. He was the best player on the field that day and the Tigers couldn't stop him. Seem to recall Auburn was pretty good that year.

Given that DGB was a pure Sophomore at the time, whereas Gordon has emerged on the scene as a redshirt junior -- we're talking about a prospect whose tape was likely going to be the worst of his career (if he'd played as a junior).

I do think Gordon will reach his potential ceiling. He's that kind of worker. It'd be a tough choice for me if I'm having to make it. Although I think I still go with DGB. His particular role is just much harder to fill. RBs are generically underdrafted and it's not likely that will ease in the next 4-5 years. Receivers of DGB's potential just don't fall out of the top 15 with any regularity. And I don't see us picking in the top 15 any time soon.

randomation

Reaction score
DGB or Gordon would be awesome but I honestly think that the Hawks would have to move up for either one. That said Gordon's work ethic is crazy he is the guy who is up at 3 am running ladder drills and texting his team mates to try to motivate them. He and Russ would together quite well with the No Time For Sleep idea.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ym2eqfn said:
I don't scout enough to know what the general draft class looks like

"But I think someone else's opinion is hilarious because I disagree."

:roll:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I would like Gordon a lot more if he went to say.. Ohio State instead of Wisconsin.

I know its an unfair stigma.. but Wisconsin RB's have mostly been bums at the next level.

Gurley on the other hand.. I know he has the ACL tear.. but when he is 100% he is flat SPECIAL. If there is any RB out there that could so much as rival Marshawn Lynch.. it's him.

I hope he somehow falls to 31.

Tical21

Reaction score
Thinking about Melvin Gordon makes me dizzy.

titan3131

Reaction score
what i dont like about gordon is that 19.2% of his carries are for zero yards or for a loss. Also his pass pro is not that good.

OP
OP
Seahawkwalt1967

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
If JS has visited the school twice..He has to be considering moving up since he will be long gone at 31.

Hawks46

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":fw291qq4 said:
Hawks46":fw291qq4 said:

Yup, that makes total sense. I don't know enough about individual players from a scouting stand point, but I do know league wide trends in both FA and the draft, and it's not having 2 RBs go in the 1st round, one of which probably won't play next year. Guess English is different across the pond.

I respect the amount of work you do scouting all these players English, so when I do post here I don't act like I know it all about college scouting because I can't invest the time. It doesn't mean I don't know football. Marcus Lattimore had a much better college career than Gurley did, with no character flags. SF drafted him in the......not 1st round ! Then they sat him. How did that work out for them ?

So now Gurley comes along, and since we just might need a RB, gee.....he'll go in the 1st round ! See the parallels yet ? I didn't even have to scout Gurley for it.

Tell you what. If Gurley gets drafted in the 1st round before the 31st pick, I'll come on here every day and post that you're smarter than me for a week. Would that make you feel superior enough ?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hawks46":1kuqnwya said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1kuqnwya said:
Hawks46":1kuqnwya said:

Yup, that makes total sense. I don't know enough about individual players from a scouting stand point, but I do know league wide trends in both FA and the draft, and it's not having 2 RBs go in the 1st round, one of which probably won't play next year. Guess English is different across the pond.

I respect the amount of work you do scouting all these players English, so when I do post here I don't act like I know it all about college scouting because I can't invest the time. It doesn't mean I don't know football. Marcus Lattimore had a much better college career than Gurley did, with no character flags. SF drafted him in the......not 1st round ! Then they sat him. How did that work out for them ?

So now Gurley comes along, and since we just might need a RB, gee.....he'll go in the 1st round ! See the parallels yet ? I didn't even have to scout Gurley for it.

Tell you what. If Gurley gets drafted in the 1st round before the 31st pick, I'll come on here every day and post that you're smarter than me for a week. Would that make you feel superior enough ?
I'll take you up on that.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":22lcxxsd said:
theENGLISHseahawk":22lcxxsd said:
Hawks46":22lcxxsd said:

Every draft is completely different. The RB quality has been generally poor the last couple years. This trend isn't predictive of anything.

As it pertains to Lattimore, he was a player with 2 knee injuries. And I'm not exactly sure why one would think his college career was better in terms of being a prospect for the pros. Gurley was widely considered the best of his class since his freshman year in college. And without his injury, a very solid top 15 prospect. The injury could and probably should necessitate a drop in the draft. But knee injuries aren't the death knell for RBs it once was. If he were saddled with recurring injuries on the knee -- that'd be a completely different matter.

Lattimore was never the same kind of prospect that Gurley was. Lattimore even pre injury was a fringe first round guy but likely 2nd round kind of prospect. Not unlike Lesean McCoy. The recurring injury dropped him a couple rounds which was about right.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":7par23vx said:
theENGLISHseahawk":7par23vx said:
Hawks46":7par23vx said:

Todd Gurley in 3 seasons...3,285 yards at 6.4 a clip with 36 rushing TDs and 6 receiving TDs.

Marcus Lattimore in 3 seasons...2,677 yards at 4.8 a clip with 38 rushing TDs and 3 receiving TDs.

Yeah, Marcus "4.8 ypc in COLLEGE" Lattimore had a much better college career. You may not have the time to put all the time English does into scouting, but do you have 30 seconds to do a Google search before making statements like this?

purpleneer

Reaction score
Hawks46":1dqozffv said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1dqozffv said:
Hawks46":1dqozffv said:

I love how one year in which Bishop Sankey is the first back taken makes for a set-in-stone trend against 1st-round backs. Nevermind that one was chosen in the top 5 just one year earlier, and even though he was a mistake pick, another reasonably successful team used another 1st to trade for him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
purpleneer":38kllr2i said:
I love how one year in which Bishop Sankey is the first back taken makes for a set-in-stone trend against 1st-round backs. Nevermind that one was chosen in the top 5 just one year earlier, and even though he was a mistake pick, another reasonably successful team used another 1st to trade for him.

Groupthink. You recognize the symptoms.