Sark to sue USC over firing cuz alcoholism is a disability

GeekHawk

Reaction score
This has actually been recognized case law (based on the federal Americans with Disabilities Act) for a long time. I learned in a management class I was taking at Palomar Community College in the mid-80s about this very thing (30 years ago). Once they seek treatment it becomes defined as a disability. So, yes you should. Just be sure to sign up for treatment before being fired, like Sark did. :thirishdrinkers:

When Sark's firing was first announced, I was wondering what the hell USC was thinking...

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I once worked with a guy whose Dad was on disability. The guy didn't like his Dad but said he couldn't decide if he was disgusted or jealous.

On another note, pretty sure Sark just sealed that he'll never get another coaching job.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
After I got T-boned I was on disability, but only for 3 months. My doctor told me later that he thought I would be on it forever. No need, back to school and get a degree for a job where you don't have to be physical!

chris98251

Reaction score
It will get settled and dropped, this is a shot at Haden not USC in general for the way he handled it. Sark didn't even know he was fired until someone told him, and it wasn't Haden.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Haden handled it miserably, so Sark has a very strong case as crazy as it sounds.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
chris98251":2je5ayos said:
It will get settled and dropped, this is a shot at Haden not USC in general for the way he handled it. Sark didn't even know he was fired until someone told him, and it wasn't Haden.

How do we know he wasn't drunk when Haden told him?

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkGA":1s1yjtqr said:
chris98251":1s1yjtqr said:

How do we know he wasn't drunk when Haden told him?

Haden said he could not get a hold of him but did it anyway hoping to talk to him before it leaked out I believe was the reasoning. Don't think it's the truth but what was said anyway.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
This was written Oct 14th.

A school source told ESPN’s Shelley Smith that [athletic director Pat] Haden had instituted what was, in effect, a zero-tolerance policy concerning alcohol use with Sarkisian. When Sarkisian showed up to meetings Sunday seemingly intoxicated, that was a violation of the agreement, and it resulted in Sarkisian’s dismissal.

It appears the school’s stance is that the firing was for cause — which would mean it’s off the hook for the remaining money in Sarkisian’s contract.

It’s unclear if Haden’s “zero-tolerance” policy is written into the contract. Its presence or absence would seemingly have a significant impact on how this whole thing shakes out.

The Americans With Disabilities Act, which provides protection from employers firing employees due to an illness, apparently wouldn’t cover Sarkisian in this instance.

Here’s where it gets interesting — and potentially more ugly.

Is it possible the ubiquitous leaks and expedited firing were part of a plan to get the coach out before a diagnosis of alcoholism could be done in rehab? Admittedly, that’s just speculation. On the other hand, do we put anything past Haden at this point?

http://thebiglead.com/2015/10/14/usc-do ... er-firing/

Rob12

Reaction score
I still feel bad for Sark. He made his bed so to speak, but divorce/alcoholism is an ugly monster. Never been on the divorce side, but I've seen how alcohol can take over one's life. I don't think he should be paid for it, as USC was simply doing what was in the best interests of their kids and the program, but this isn't as cut and dry and some would say it is.

Any update on him, BTW? Has he sought treatment, and if so, how is he doing?

sc85sis

Reaction score
He went to rehab. TMZ had a brief clip of him prior to the P12 game. They ambushed him as he was getting in his car. He wished the team well, and I have no doubt he meant it. He's PO'd at Haden and co., not the team.

He looked good in the clip. Looked like he might have lost some weight.

kearly

Reaction score
The stigma of alcoholism will make it hard for any team to hire Sark for a while, but the lawsuit on top of it is just a bad look. Filing a lawsuit suggests a lack of guilt or accountability on Sarkisian's part.

Oh well, at least he's got some money. And if he wins his suit, he'll have even more.

Though if he does win, it will give teams one extra reason not to hire a coach with alcoholism issues.