I think it's time to churn the team a bit. (My opinion 100%)

ivotuk

Reaction score
The only teams that succeed, are the ones that keep their coaches intact, but occasionally changes OC and DC.

It's good fur the QB to have a consistent offense, but an OC can become stagnant and predictable.

IMHO, there are 3 things that keep an offense good, an average offensive line, unpredictably, and a good running game. Unpredictability can come from slight changes in philosophy, formations, and occasionally, offensive coordinators.

Is it time to replace Bevell? I don't know. Can Bevell adjust his game plan, or is he hamstrung with Cable there?

I would replace Cable and try to get someone who keeps it simple. I think Cable over complicates the blocking schemes and these young linemen get confused and make blunder after blunder. How do 2 different RGs step on Russell's foot? They're both told to line up in the same spot and block the same way.

My biggest pet peeve this year had been that lineman miss the first guy on their way to the 2nd level. Hey! What about that first guy who just blew up your play?

Ugh....he'll I don't know. But it seems like every team in the NFL can turn rookies in to average OLinemen, but we continue to blunder along and get our QB and our RBs blown up.

mrt144

Reaction score
ivotuk":1zpzztub said:
Ugh....he'll I don't know. But it seems like every team in the NFL can turn rookies in to average OLinemen, but we continue to blunder along and get our QB and our RBs blown up.

About half can turn rookies into average linemen ;)

Josea16

Reaction score
ivotuk":37s2a8b3 said:
The only teams that succeed, are the ones that keep their coaches intact, but occasionally changes OC and DC.

It's good fur the QB to have a consistent offense, but an OC can become stagnant and predictable.

IMHO, there are 3 things that keep an offense good, an average offensive line, unpredictably, and a good running game. Unpredictability can come from slight changes in philosophy, formations, and occasionally, offensive coordinators.

Is it time to replace Bevell? I don't know. Can Bevell adjust his game plan, or is he hamstrung with Cable there?

I would replace Cable and try to get someone who keeps it simple. I think Cable over complicates the blocking schemes and these young linemen get confused and make blunder after blunder. How do 2 different RGs step on Russell's foot? They're both told to line up in the same spot and block the same way.

My biggest pet peeve this year had been that lineman miss the first guy on their way to the 2nd level. Hey! What about that first guy who just blew up your play?

I'd much rather see Cable go then Bevell. His scheme needs to go. Go power and keep it simple.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Roster churn takes place no matter. We are 1 of the 10 youngest teams.

Richard is a Bradley clone, or perhaps Bradley lite. We really miss Quinn and also Norton. That is coaching, as we basically have all the D pieces.

On O, the only coach not earning his money is Cable. His scheme, and trying to force man blockers into zone blockers is total crap. Bevell as a playcaller is limited, but I think that is on Pete. The only reason for an OC to be so damn conservative is, either his boss demands it, or he is dealing with a limited skill set QB. Draw your own conclusions there.

OC's move on and up because their team scores lots of points. DC's move on and up because they stone others and create turnovers. Ours fail in that respect.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
seedhawk":3q5ulnpn said:
Richard is a Bradley clone, or perhaps Bradley lite. We really miss Quinn and also Norton. That is coaching, as we basically have all the D pieces.

I think that Richard may not have the respect of the group. He may be a part of the apparent discord on the defense. Just a hunch.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
nwHawk":1uvhryzv said:
Much to our disappointment, this feels like a rebuilding year.

Only on this board is getting to a fifth consecutive franchise history divisional round a "rebuilding year". You're kidding me, right? There were multiple years when we weren't even close to making the playoffs....years, man years...this team sucked ass. The 80s were tough. Pete has this team in contention year after year after year. We have some special players and some average players, like most teams. But our oline is the worst and is kriptonite to the entire team. Watching the playoffs, if Wilson had any of these oline sit wouldn't be close.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
falcongoggles":10l60056 said:
I knew the second a thread started that was critical of the coaches, especially Bevell, that Siouxhawk was going to show up to defend EVERY SINGLE INCH of "turf" via deflect, deflect, deflect, deny, deny, deny.

When this team goes one and done in the playoffs, or squeaks out a win only to be blown out in the second round, the OP will be vindicated.

What the OP is proposing is not unprecedented. The Broncos lost the Super Bowl, the Super Bowl and fired their head coach. Seattle can easily fire a handful of coordinators and make improve the next year.

Again, this team is not coached for a deep playoff run and when they get bounced, it will be time for heads to roll.

Seems almost prophetic now. Unfortunately heads won't roll

johnnyfever

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":24ufsz6s said:
I'm sure you're wrong according to Siouxhawk, Falcon. :lol:

Sioixhawk has shown himself time and again to not have the ability to identify the causes of our regression. He is entitled to his opinion, however ridiculous it is to nearly all other fans on this board.

He even said today that there has been no regression since the Superbowl win. How do you have a rational conversation with someone who makes a batshit crazy statement like that?

Answer: You don't.

Josea16

Reaction score
falcongoggles":37r36v6m said:
falcongoggles":37r36v6m said:
I knew the second a thread started that was critical of the coaches, especially Bevell, that Siouxhawk was going to show up to defend EVERY SINGLE INCH of "turf" via deflect, deflect, deflect, deny, deny, deny.

When this team goes one and done in the playoffs, or squeaks out a win only to be blown out in the second round, the OP will be vindicated.

What the OP is proposing is not unprecedented. The Broncos lost the Super Bowl, the Super Bowl and fired their head coach. Seattle can easily fire a handful of coordinators and make improve the next year.

Again, this team is not coached for a deep playoff run and when they get bounced, it will be time for heads to roll.

Seems almost prophetic now. Unfortunately heads won't roll
I agree hence my real sadness. I started following this team In the late 1980's through the middle 1990's. It wasn't fun when talking to my friends about football and I don't want to go back to it if I don't have to. I love the Seahawks but hate hopeless football and hopeless teams.

Yeah I'm not a 38 and probably worse to the typical football fan but who cares? I love this team as much as any old guy or girl so deal with it and my possibly different opinions.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
MeanBlueGreen":3klg2crl said:
nwHawk":3klg2crl said:
Much to our disappointment, this feels like a rebuilding year.

Only on this board is getting to a fifth consecutive franchise history divisional round a "rebuilding year". You're kidding me, right? There were multiple years when we weren't even close to making the playoffs....years, man years...this team sucked ass. The 80s were tough. Pete has this team in contention year after year after year. We have some special players and some average players, like most teams. But our oline is the worst and is kriptonite to the entire team. Watching the playoffs, if Wilson had any of these oline sit wouldn't be close.

Give back some of the cash so a line can be bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Correction: top eight.

With an O that is totally inconsistent and a D that is running on fumes.

In the end it's the OLine that is the problem and a lot would be markedly improved with some significant improvement there.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
A good off season with solid Physical Therapists and Trainers, it's a decent O-line draft class... so that should help. Oh yeah, and get ADBs head shrink into RWs head. Here's to Earl coming back hungry, faster and even more fit.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
This roster churns every year and we haven't been able to find talent good enough the last few years. We finished the season with more people on IR than 90% of the league. We were depleted.

It is getting close to time to start saying goodbye to people though. We have a team filled with people we are attached to and that will change. Whether it is this off season or next, it is going to start and once it does, another "name" will come off the roster each year. These future 12 flag raisers are awesome and it will hurt to cut some of them loose but it is coming.

Pete's philosophy of constant competition means that hopefully that churn will be a result of someone better showing up. Hopefully when father time catches up, it isn't because we had to move on due to payroll but because they were surpassed by someone more effective. That is how you can keep the team fresh and we need to do it every year, not just as a reaction to a loss. In the end, this unsuccessful season still led us to the divisional round, better than 25 other teams and we'll roll out another team next year and, more than likely, finish with another chance at a run at a championship. That gives me optimism.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I want to go back to this topic with the insights provided by Sherman Smith after his firing. I think a more significant churn than we've seen this year will help alleviate the ever present hangover from 49 and lack of hunger. What will light a fire under the team once again?

nash72

Reaction score
chris98251":2ejp3uw3 said:
This whole site has been talking about churn since 49.

And nothing has happened and we continue to get worse. I think a churn makes a ton of sense at this point.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
When Pete/Schnieder first took over it was rebuild time. Not this team!! Sorry to disagree.
And honestly, re:XLIX-Denver got their asses handed to them by us and two years later they won. NE has lost SBs, they plug along. I am so sick of the narrative of the team not being able to handle a SB loss. We have been in and won playoff games since that loss. The Seahawks are a young team and in their prime. We will be OK.
CRAP! I cannot wait for the draft so the whining can stop.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
"Elite teams" don't have offenses that manage to score 12, 3, 6, 13, 5 and 10 points in games.

The offense has big issues. The defense was exposed, at least without Earl. Wilson regressed, outside the impact of injuries. We don't force turnovers.

We have some elite players. I don't think the team is elite anymore.

I agree with the OP. We need some changes.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
There's changes every offseason. This will be no different than other years.