Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Malik McDowell

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Malik McDowell
Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:09 pm
  • Taehwk
    NET Practice Squad

Re: Malik McDowell
Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:54 pm
  • Intriguing. Some very Seahawk-y traits with the length and quickness. Also, this team isn't afraid of tweeners if they have a high pass rush ceiling and the ability to contribute at more than one position (Bruce Irvin, Michael Bennett, Frank Clark).

I'd love Rob Staton's thoughts on the guy.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:50 pm
  • he is an intriguing prospect, high ceiling but I remember reading he had some character issues and a questionable motor. Clark may have had some risks come in with him but there wasn't much concern about his work ethic. The motor question always makes me nervous
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 pm
  • Malik is coming today to visit the Seahawks I hope they draft him he is super young 20 i dont buy all this taking plays off. His upside is tremendous.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:44 pm
  • And his floor is big time bust. Too many players with a way higher floor and just as high of ceiling. Pass
    penihawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:22 pm
  • He's 20 and already a significant force when playing up to his ability. If there is any coach that can get inside his head and make him play with fire and consistently during the plays he's allowed to play it's Pete.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:28 pm
  • I love when guys say that lets draft the safest guy we tried that With Curry and he was a bust. Jordan hill 3rd round pick couldnt stay on the field. I like PCJS doing their due diligence McDowell is a freak he is only 20 he just needs someone to harness his immense talent. I hope they take him.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 pm
  • Freak? How so? His explosion numbers are average and his tape sucks. Where are we going to play him to tap this immense talent? Myles Garrett is a freak, Malik McDowell not so much. Not before the 3rd round for me.
    penihawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:36 pm
  • seeing that our pick is so late I basically consider 2.26 to b a 3rd roundpick. I would take him there if he was available; it would be pinnacle seahawks move consider ceiling ignore floor and bet on our unique culture and coaching to get the best out of this unique guy.
    "I don't know much, but I imagine that stomping my way through a field of seven-year-olds is the closest I'll ever feel to being Marshawn Lynch. Despite being limited to ten rushes, Lynch mowed through defenders like Zach Efron running into a bachelorette party in Vegas." -@JacsonBevens
    titan3131
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:15 pm
  • Million dollar body, nickel's worth of "want to". Yes, his potential ceiling is high but his low is
    the basement. I would go for Chris Wormley and let McDowell be great somewhere else.
    "All in the game yo, all in the game"
    Omar Devon Little
    1980-2007
    two dog
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:46 pm
  • Trade down into the early second round and take him. The draft is a crap shoot his skillset is an all pro skillset. A lot of you guys were against Frank Clark but people can change plus he is only 20 years old. McDowell and Witherspoon would be ideal. Whomever they take i support.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:03 pm
  • I think this is a guy if Dan Quinn was still coaching with the hawks we would consider him. Dan Quinn was noted for teaching and developing DL hand fighting techniques to become more effective rushers.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/arti ... 4d988dc864

I believe several Seahawks have credited him with this.

A draft prospect who is raw and limited like McDowell may benefit greatly from a coach like Quinn. He is still very Seahawky in terms of being athletic. I think he lands in Atlanta to improve that defense even more.
    Taehwk
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:03 pm
  • I think Clint Hurtt the new dline coach will coach him up and he will want to show how good he can be.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:28 pm
  • Heard negative talk about his motivation. Hawks have met with him. Wouldn't be surprised about a 1st round DL/Edge like him or Tim Williams. But my money would be on Obi.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:44 pm
  • Woot!!!!! first time I reviewed a prospect that the hawks actually drafted :D
    Always thought our interior rush was weak!!!
    Taehwk
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:55 pm
  • bighawk wrote:Trade down into the early second round and take him. The draft is a crap shoot his skillset is an all pro skillset. A lot of you guys were against Frank Clark but people can change plus he is only 20 years old. McDowell and Witherspoon would be ideal. Whomever they take i support.

Nice call!
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:06 am
  • Taehwk wrote:Woot!!!!! first time I reviewed a prospect that the hawks actually drafted :D
    Always thought our interior rush was weak!!!

Nice call.

Kudos!
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:06 am
  • Collective high five everyone!!! Let's counter the psychotic badjujus 99% of fans are throwing around on our picks!
    "I don't know much, but I imagine that stomping my way through a field of seven-year-olds is the closest I'll ever feel to being Marshawn Lynch. Despite being limited to ten rushes, Lynch mowed through defenders like Zach Efron running into a bachelorette party in Vegas." -@JacsonBevens
    titan3131
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:26 am
  • I like this pick alot. Alan Branch and Tony McDaniels were guys we had been known to bring on board. It's nice to have a young potential guy we can put next to the kid from Alabama. Our locker can put his head on straight.

I'm guessing we could have got him at 58.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:03 pm
  • Atradees wrote:I like this pick alot. Alan Branch and Tony McDaniels were guys we had been known to bring on board. It's nice to have a young potential guy we can put next to the kid from Alabama. Our locker can put his head on straight.

I'm guessing we could have got him at 58.

say it with me,

Calias Campbell - not a run stuffing type, a defensive weapon that can play every position and rush the passer better then anyone in the ENTIRE DRAFT.

Would not have been there at 58
    titan3131
    NET Veteran

Mon May 22, 2017 1:37 pm
  • Despite my earlier contrarian view, after reading Pete's rationale, I'm glad we took him.
    Seriously doubt he would have been available at 58.

I still think Chris Wormley will be a fine player but not with McDowell's upside.
    "All in the game yo, all in the game"
    Omar Devon Little
    1980-2007
    two dog
    NET Veteran

Tue May 23, 2017 8:31 am
  • A motivated McDowell is a worthy successor to Michael Bennett.

I really didn't want McDowell leading up to the draft. I just don't think that unmotivated players suddenly discover it late. But I also concede that we're on the outside of this thing and we can't really judge that aspect of players. About the closest we get is what coaches and team mates will allow to slip publicly.

All that said, if McDowell didn't have question marks, he's not getting out of the top 10. Pass rushers, particularly players who can do so from the interior, are worth as much as left tackles. So rolling the dice at the top of R2 on a player who can literally make this draft by himself is a worthwhile risk. Particularly on a player who is still only 20 years of age.

I have more faith in Pete Carroll to extract the best of players with off field question marks than any other coach in this league. So if McDowell is going to achieve his elite potential, he's in the very best place he could have hoped for.

Should McDowell pan out, Seattle has set itself up for many years, having already drafted Avril's successor in Clark who definitely looks like he'll be able to live to that standard this year. If McDowell comes out of the gate hot, this pass rush is simply downright scary. Should he shine early, this will be the best unit we've ever fielded. And that's a tantalizing thought.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 26, 2017 8:48 am
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:A motivated McDowell is a worthy successor to Michael Bennett.

I really didn't want McDowell leading up to the draft. I just don't think that unmotivated players suddenly discover it late. But I also concede that we're on the outside of this thing and we can't really judge that aspect of players. About the closest we get is what coaches and team mates will allow to slip publicly.

All that said, if McDowell didn't have question marks, he's not getting out of the top 10. Pass rushers, particularly players who can do so from the interior, are worth as much as left tackles. So rolling the dice at the top of R2 on a player who can literally make this draft by himself is a worthwhile risk. Particularly on a player who is still only 20 years of age.

I have more faith in Pete Carroll to extract the best of players with off field question marks than any other coach in this league. So if McDowell is going to achieve his elite potential, he's in the very best place he could have hoped for.

Should McDowell pan out, Seattle has set itself up for many years, having already drafted Avril's successor in Clark who definitely looks like he'll be able to live to that standard this year. If McDowell comes out of the gate hot, this pass rush is simply downright scary. Should he shine early, this will be the best unit we've ever fielded. And that's a tantalizing thought.

The best part of what we need to see from McDowell is not much. He can flash equal to Clarks rookie season and have a huge impact on the rest of the defenses sack totals. Just a consistent interior pressure with McDowell getting say 6 sacks this year, equals 3-5 + sacks PER DEFENSIVE LINEMEN. I can see Avril Bennett, Clark, all getting 14+ sacks each, and then the other guys like Marsh, Wags, Wright, all getting 6 ish each.
    titan3131
    NET Veteran

Sat May 27, 2017 5:26 pm
  • I expect more from McDowell only because I was a big supporter of his when most were complaining that he is lazy and not Seahawky. It would not surprise me if he has double digit sacks this guy is special, unique and gifted he won't see much or any double teams our stealth package most call it NASCAR but I refuse to use that. All he needs to focus on is his strength and technique. Again he is special.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information