I believe Margus Hunt is the guy Seattle takes in round 1

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Just thinking to myself, who else is similar to Hunt in this draft? I can only think of maybe Dion Jordan and he will be top 5 guaranteed plus he is more of an edge player than interior rusher unlike Hunt has done. After him and Hunt, no other players bring his skill set and if Seattle retains Branch and Jason Jones with Scruggs and Irvin developing and maybe gets that speed upgrade WLB then we would have an insane amount of front 7 speed. True, he may not be all world day one but given time he could be the best pass rusher on our team. He can line up in Bryant's spot in shorter distances on 3rd down with Jones/Scruggs, Mebane, and Irvin or take over for Jones in the middle on 3rd and long if he gets injured again with Scruggs and Irvin on the line and an added nickle pass rusher on the edge. The combine really makes me think he is high on John and Pete's draft board, really fits our unusual front seven IMO. Really wasn't to hot on Hunt early but if Seattle sticks with their defensive philosophy of size in the trenches with speed on the edge and 3 LB positions then rotates rushers on 3rd down doesn't that scream Hunt inside? I realize Datone Jones has been talked to, but as Kearly said don't think he will be the pick if we talked to him and after Hunt had a great combine Seattle probably took notice and I would love that pick at #25.

What do you all think?

cacksman

Reaction score
The threat of him and Red blocking field goals would be pretty nice..

pehawk

Reaction score
It actually makes sense. He's most certainly a high-ceiling type, which matches Carp and Irvin.

Personally, I dont see a football player when I watch him.

aawolf

Reaction score
I heard an interview with him on NFL Radio last night, and I understand English was his second language, but it was painful to listen to him try to explain anything football-related. He seems very raw and it seems it would take alot of special attention to get him acclimated to the NFL. He's a freak though, and has potential to be great. High ristk though from what I heard in the interview.

OP
OP

12th_Bob

Reaction score
The big question mark for me is his age, he'll be 26 when he starts next season, could he add instant impact year one? If not how about top ten potential end by age 28 (2 seasons of development)? I think he could go from a bit of a liability early in season one to impact defender by seasons end. Looking at his start to now in college, he went from knowing nothing to a great senior season. His upside is still greater than many of the older DT in this draft that are rated around the same range as him. Having Irvin, Mebane, Bryant, possibly Branch and Jones, that is a lot of older players along the dline but perhaps John and Pete add Akeem Spence or Jordan Hill later to develop with Scruggs/Howard and another late 5th round LEO, we add some front line depth and youth to develop, not terrible compared to other teams around the league.

McGruff

Reaction score
Watching Margus Hunt play defense is like watching Matt Hasselbeck run with the football. Ugly, awkward, laughable, and yet strangely effective.

I don't want anything to do with him. He's still just a shot putter trying to play football. Put him in a lumberjack competition and I'd be a fan. Put him on a football field and I hope it's for another team.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He is raw from all accounts so I really don't see a need to draft him in the 1st.....no one else is likely to.

As for his age, he is raw....for a reason. He hasn't played football from 4th grade. Not a lot of mileage on his body for sure. Plus, with his athletic grace, I'm betting he has damn good genetics so he might not slump physically at 30.

My biggest question: looking at his physical measurables this guy could actually play the LEO at his size. Does our FO think he can be developed ? If we could get him in the mid rounds, I'm totally for it.....you have Clem who is injured but still good. You have Irvin who will have another year of seasoning...and was also raw by his own account last year. You'd have time to develop him for the LEO if you wanted to.

Does anyone that has studied this guy think he's capable of working from a wide split and a stand up position to play a LEO ?

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawks46":1y0er74c said:
He is raw from all accounts so I really don't see a need to draft him in the 1st.....no one else is likely to.

As for his age, he is raw....for a reason. He hasn't played football from 4th grade. Not a lot of mileage on his body for sure. Plus, with his athletic grace, I'm betting he has damn good genetics so he might not slump physically at 30.

My biggest question: looking at his physical measurables this guy could actually play the LEO at his size. Does our FO think he can be developed ? If we could get him in the mid rounds, I'm totally for it.....you have Clem who is injured but still good. You have Irvin who will have another year of seasoning...and was also raw by his own account last year. You'd have time to develop him for the LEO if you wanted to.

Does anyone that has studied this guy think he's capable of working from a wide split and a stand up position to play a LEO ?

No bend, no functional flexibility . . . By the time he learns to play the game, he'll be thirty.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Hunt has as much chance of being a 1st round pick as Denard Robinson does. None. Great tools, but extremely high risk and you aren't even sure you're getting a born football player. Sure, Seattle likes making first round picks that seem shocking, but Seattle wouldn't have drafted Bruce Irvin in the first if they were the only team that had a top 15 grade on him. Seattle might roll the dice in round 3. That's the earliest I could see it. Hunt is a round 5-7 prospect, IMO. Sometimes late round prospects become mid round picks. I guess we'll see.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":13jdlhid said:
I think Hunt has as much chance of being a 1st round pick as Denard Robinson does. None. Great tools, but extremely high risk and you aren't even sure you're getting a born football player. Sure, Seattle likes making first round picks that seem shocking, but Seattle wouldn't have drafted Bruce Irvin in the first if they were the only team that had a top 15 grade on him.

Bruce also had tape that showed he could do what they wanted him to do.

Hunt has tape that shoes he can play football like a badly acted zombie.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
There has been one consistency with all of JS & PC draft picks, tremendous upside. Physically gifted and driven players with a chip on their shoulders with something to prove. If you look at his tape against Texas A&M he does not get dominated at all he is consistently in the back field they hardly make any plays toward him. The plays he does get pushed around he is doubled by 2 top 15 picks. The only question would be technique and Dan Quinn is a great coach for guys like that (see Red Bryant). 9 blocked kicks in college, self admittedly says he has a lot to learn and is grateful for whatever opportunity he gets to play in the NFL, also states he was happy to be in the senior bowl and it was an honor even though he had never heard of the game a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbs_L0OBl2c
Speaking English does not seem to be an issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBBKibXTrs
2011 but against L. Joechel
Not Great not horrible

Be realistic with your comments and analysis. Yes he is Raw as Hell, Yes he is old, his pursuit is lacking.
Physical Freak fo sho. He only learned to put on pads 4 years ago. I like him as a pick for development I think he is old but throwing discus doesn't exactly rack up miles on the body. Don’t think I’d spend round 1 on him but a late 2nd or third, I wouldn't throw my remote, leave the house and stop watching the draft like I did with Aaron Curry if they did take him in the first, of course they wouldn't be taking him 4th either. I think P&J could shock us all with a pick like this and it wouldn't be the first time.